17 months in--Just got back my first C- and T-Spine results

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

17 months in--Just got back my first C- and T-Spine results

Postby Watereddown on December 29th, 2014, 10:23 pm

What's up everybody!

It has been a long time that I've been here. For all of the people who don't know my story around here, I've been twitching for about 17 months. Unlike many here, I'm more paranoid of MS than ALS.

I've had 2 brain scans in the past year that have came back clean. However, I just underwent a c and t-spine imaging study, and the neurologist called back saying they have noted the same abnormality in both my C spine and my T spine. She gave it a big fancy name, but honestly I forgot what she called it. What it pretty much was was an elongation of spinal fluid spanning about three disks in both c and t spine. She said it was an unusual finding and she wasn't quite sure what to make of it. She couldn't say for certain, but she says its possible that it has been there since birth. She also said that they are going to have to keep a close eye on it, and make sure it doesnt grow. Does anyone know what this can be? I'm trying to violate the cardinal rule and google it, but unfortunatley (or fortunately) I don't know what it is called. The devil on my shoulder keeps telling me this is a precursor finding to MS, and that this is a typical MS finding, but she didn't mention anything about MS on the phone. She just said there were no lesions found. I'm kind of hoping twitchy doc is still around, as he knows way more about this than I would.

She ended the call by saying that if anything, this is good news, as it can possibly explain my symptoms. Anyone have any advice? She said she would get back to me after she consults the findings with her colleagues, which has me even more paranoid :( :( :(
Watereddown

Re: 17 months in--Just got back my first C- and T-Spine resu

Postby Yuliasir on December 30th, 2014, 1:08 am

Most probably she called that syringomyelia (as far as I can judge from your description). C-spine syringomyelia is a common result of biker traumas - when you fall from the bike and get your neck involved, it may also be a result of whiplash trauma (usually when you sit in the car and someone kicks you in the back). If it persists in upper T-spines, well, it is also possbile result of trauma in head or neck region.

If I am right in my guess, this is DEFINITELY not related to MS - MS findings have anything with the spinal fluid drainage. Syringomyelia, in turn, just means that you have extra channel in your spinal white matter, like a long bubble in it, on which spinal fluid also comes from the brain to the cossyx par of your spine. Some people really may have that inherited but usually it is aquired. Due to extra spinal fluid close to nerve ends (roots) they could cause compression and therefore may cause symptomes, in your case in hands (accroding to location). Small syringomyelias are usually left for good, but in case of large ones, surgey might be assigned. We had here one fellow who underwent such surgery but I can not recall his name unfortunately.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Watereddown on December 30th, 2014, 1:14 am

Yuliasir,

You nailed it. Thats what I have. I don't know if you remember me, but in my previous history, I have noted that my symptoms all started after I had a major whiplash injury on a roller-coaster ride.

If this is truly what it is, and not MS, I think im going to cry. I can't believe after 17 months I finally get some sort of answer besides "ANXIETY"!!!
Watereddown

Postby Yuliasir on December 30th, 2014, 1:39 am

No I did not remember this exactly detail but I feel myself a bit as Mr Sherlock Holmes :) so you could be easy - it is most proably traumatic lesion, not related to MS. take that as a some gift. By the way anxiety after crash (post stress reaction) is well normal too. But it goes away with the timd and syringe is left and may cause symptomes again and again. monitoring is a good idea, but usually thhey do not grow (if no other traumas added).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics