People who have bitten their tongues - ?s

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

People who have bitten their tongues - ?s

Postby Xina535 on December 24th, 2014, 5:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am asking those BFSers who have gone through periods or phases where they constantly bit their tongues and/or cheeks and freaked out about it. I am going through this now. More and more, my tongue, mainly the tip, gets caught in my front teeth, when I eat and talk. I am getting AFRAID of talking and eating...I haven't taken any anti-anxiety meds for a few months now, but I am going to start again tonight otherwise I won't get through the Holidays.

I've read on here that many People have had this Problem, and even fearing of talking and eating because of it.....because it has been described as an *** onset symptom. I am missing some Information thought, from what I've read and found on here.

My questions:
How Long did the biting Phase last, or does it still happen?
How bad did the tongue biting get, before it got better - did it get worse where you had many sores, etc.?
How did it get better, what helped?
Did you see a doctor because of this, and if so, which doctor and what happened?
Did you have any other symptoms in the tongue when you were biting it, like burning or it being swollen?

I feel like this is all I am thinking about and I am making it worse.

Constantly trying to justify stuff in my mind with these types of thoughts:

"But wouldn't I slur first, significantly, if this were ***?"
"I did get a Herpes outbreak on my lip, but how could this affect my tongue? Maybe my tongue is swollen, it feels kinda swollen...."
"My tongue feels a bit tingly, maybe because of Herpes or maybe because of the biting...and tingly points away from...."
"Wouldn't I be biting on it ALL the time, not just some of the time, if this were ***?"

It doesn't help that on Saturday I had big thumping twitching in my left arm, all day, and even still today and it is so sore and everything is really heavy when I pick stuff up. I am looking at this as fatigue, but it's scary that my left arm, along with my right, is starting to feel weak. The right hand is truly weak, getting a cyst removed in Jan. and HOPEFULLY that is what the real cause is. Hand surgeon and orthopedic doc are not sure if that is what is causing my right hand weakness. But new left arm problems now, excess saliva for a few months, more and more body jerks...and brand new, biting tongue...stick a fork in me, I'M DONE!

In MND - symptoms usually affects one area at a time, right? It will leave one area pretty disfunctional before going to the next area, I think. How accurate is this, because I am pretty much living off of this right now.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: People who have bitten their tongues - ?s

Postby misterjuanperalta on December 24th, 2014, 7:03 pm

I bite it at night, but I also suffer from focal seizures.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on December 25th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Sorry to hear about your seizures :(

Is the tongue biting because of the seizures, only?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on December 25th, 2014, 1:24 pm

I'm attributing the biting to them. Not sure if they are the cause exclusively.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on December 26th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Jeez i have bitten my tongue daily for years ....nothing to be concerned about at all.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on December 26th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Hi raindog, thanks for sharing.

I can't help but worry about it because I've never constantly bit my tongue like this before and I read before it is an onset symptom of ***. I'm also constantly wiping the corners of my mouth now for a few months, which can either be pure anxiety, gastro issues or due to not clearing the saliva out as I once did (which I have read before can also be onset of .....). So this is probably the scariest set of symptoms I've had in my whole life. I am worried about talking and eating.

I read a lot on calm clinic how it can all be anxiety, and is the most logical explanation, and this is why I went back on my meds. I'm hoping for some improvement soon.

I know many people have panicked about this before on here and I wanted to know how they got past it....from what I read on previous posts, I never saw a resolution post it that it got better or how.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on December 27th, 2014, 10:53 am

Xina535 wrote:Hi raindog, thanks for sharing.

I can't help but worry about it because I've never constantly bit my tongue like this before and I read before it is an onset symptom of ***. I'm also constantly wiping the corners of my mouth now for a few months, which can either be pure anxiety, gastro issues or due to not clearing the saliva out as I once did (which I have read before can also be onset of .....). So this is probably the scariest set of symptoms I've had in my whole life. I am worried about talking and eating.

I read a lot on calm clinic how it can all be anxiety, and is the most logical explanation, and this is why I went back on my meds. I'm hoping for some improvement soon.

I know many people have panicked about this before on here and I wanted to know how they got past it....from what I read on previous posts, I never saw a resolution post it that it got better or how.

Anxiety is making you home in on every little thing you think is related to something nasty. You have to learn to train your mind to do something else to keep it occupied. There are lots of hobbies/ pastimes you could enjoy or maybe just taking yourself/ family or even a dog a walk with some nice chillout tunes on your headphones. I'm sure there is something out there that you must enjoy rather than this als fixation.

best wishes
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on December 28th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Hi and thanks Raindog, this is very true. This fixation is so vicious...I have found moments where I could ignore it and concentrate on something else, like playing Scrabble with my husband, going out to dinner, writing in a Journal. I am trying...

But Hobbies...unfortunately I lost them all, and the interest. I am making small steps to get back into them, such as going to the gym, and instead of working out (can't even if I wanted to, because of my leg), going to the Sauna.

The biting HAS decreased a bit. Less frequent so I am happy! But this excess saliva is still on a roll.... :roll:
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group