A new article - improvement in bfs with dietary change

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

A new article - improvement in bfs with dietary change

Postby TwitchyDoc on December 14th, 2014, 4:20 am

Improvement in chronic muscle fasciculations with dietary change: a suspected case of gluten neuropathy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25225467
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Re: A new article - improvement in bfs with dietary change

Postby reanne2489 on December 14th, 2014, 7:13 am

I find this interesting as I, along with many people, can suffer from IBS- even my osteopath when examining my stomach and back felt there was a problem with my stomach.

I was diagnosed with an H Pylori infection back in May/June time when I started getting unexplained abdominal pain. At the time, the antibiotics were going to cost me £250 which I didn't have so I used indigestion remedies and altered my diet to include very alkaline foods to ease the acid my stomach was making, and after a month the pain subsided.

Recently my stomach has started playing up again, and I knew it wasn't a passing bug after the nausea and vomiting wouldn't go away...so I decided to start the antibiotics to rid me of the infection [I know about 40% of the world has the H Pylori infection, but some people are more susceptible to the adverse effects of it than others]

As part of the my taking the course of antibios I have read that this infection can cause a Vitamin 12 deficiency [hence some people with the infection develops pernicious anaemia] Although I do not have pernicious anaemia and when my twitching first started my blood work didn't show a vitamin 12 deficiency, I would be intrigued to see if my twitching improves by the end of the course of antibiotics and I get my probiotics back into me along with a vitamin 12 supplement.

If anyone else suffers with regular indigestion, abdominal pain [not always but occassionally] or nausea [again not always but sometimes unexplained] weight loss or belching then it might be worth doing an H Pylori breath test.

If my twitching improves after this course of antibios and going on an intensive replenishment of probios etc after I will let everyone know.

Here is also a link to the connection between H pylori and vit 12 deficiency: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12485119
reanne2489

Postby J4son on December 14th, 2014, 10:28 am

Intersecting article Twitchydoc, so in some people the gluten connection might be valid after all and have some scientific basis.
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on December 14th, 2014, 12:38 pm

J4son wrote:Intersecting article Twitchydoc, so in some people the gluten connection might be valid after all and have some scientific basis.

There has been a wealth of scientific material available for years linking gluten intolerance to neurological symptoms and chronic health conditions. Here's a link from 2010 with just some of that scientific material: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15196

Despite all the available evidence and scientific material, why does it continue to elude so many discussions and get dismissed so easily? My two cents: As the old saying goes, "The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend." People don't want dietary changes to be part of their solution because they don't want to deal with the trouble in addition to everything else they are going through. Foods are a comfort and who wants to sacrifice that? People want a magic pill. Changing mindsets and changing diets are hard work. They already feel overwhelmed. Who wants to do hard work when they already feel defeated?

It required more than just changing diet for me to recover, but changing my diet was necessary. Changing my attitude and mindset was necessary too. I would not be where I am today without having done both. Anyway, thanks for sharing Twitchydoc. Add this to the ever growing list of evidence in support of diet being integral to our physical and neurological health.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Ghayes420 on December 16th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Thank you for sharing Docen. Much appreciated!
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby wjjw on December 16th, 2014, 7:05 pm

I think people should try everything they can to restore balance. The gluten thing sounded reasonable to me, and I have celiac in my family and had an abnormal tTG level myself, so I went 100 percent without gluten for the longest time (I forget, 1 year, 2 years?). Ultimately, an endoscopy revealed no celiac, and I'm currently (barring possibly constantly twitching feet, and mostly twitching calves, but I refuse to check) twitch-free, and enjoying pizza, pasta, and especially IPA beers. My mental balance has never been better, and I await further studies on the impact of IPA beer on mental outlook :-) Personally, I think long, brisk walks in nature, meditation, qigong, and a deep appreciation for being a conscious being in an amazing reality are the best bet to restoring balance and mental well-being.

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group