Yesterday was better....but not today

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Yesterday was better....but not today

Postby LKP1231 on December 8th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Yesterday was the first day in a while my upper legs did not feel achy and tired. The twitching was only in my feet (it never stops there). Of course today, I'm back to twitchy legs and mild achiness though not as bad. I also think I saw my first true tongue twitches. Just a few little quick ones but there just the same. I had hope for a day. It was nice.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Re: Yesterday was better....but not today

Postby MarioMangler on December 8th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Even just one day of hope can change your thinking process and give you a break from the worry. It's baby steps but you will get there. Time is the great healer when it comes to BFS symptoms.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on December 8th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Do you slur your words?

If not -- its not a true tongue twitch.

I can see you are having a bad day today, but remember you had a good day yesterday.

ALS There are no more good days just slow bad ones.

So keep hold to that
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby LKP1231 on December 8th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Thanks to both of you :)
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby TwitchyDoc on December 9th, 2014, 5:31 am

Rino468: Bull****. So according to you, he cannot have BFS with "true tongue twitch"?
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on December 10th, 2014, 1:35 am

TwitchyDoc -- if you take that sentence in context then I suppose it does sound a little *beep*.

However if you follow LK's posts -- SHE -- panics about everything and is on high notice to her body and all the little oddities that we all have --- so I was just reassuring her that she did not see a tongue twitch at least a sinister one.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby readytocheckout on December 10th, 2014, 5:49 am

RIno468 wrote:so I was just reassuring her that she did not see a tongue twitch at least a sinister one

Not sure if this will help, but today I saw my speech pathologist who I have been seeing for most of this year as part of the monitoring of a swallowing problem I have had since last December. She looked at my tongue and could see it quivering and trembling/twitching when I stuck it out and said that they're not the type of twitch that would interest a neuro, and my tongue has been twitching on and off (more on than off though) probably for about 18 months. I didn't want to know the finer details of what the suspicious twitches would look like in a tongue, I'm just glad and accept that mine are benign. And how do I know my tongue twitches - I can see them as clear as day and feel them as well. My tongue twitching started many months after the rest of my body, sometimes my tongue seems to twitch more than the rest of me. I had an EMG of my tongue in May this year and it was clean.
readytocheckout

Postby TwitchyDoc on December 10th, 2014, 6:52 am

readytocheckout wrote: She looked at my tongue and could see it quivering and trembling/twitching when I stuck it out and said that they're not the type of twitch that would interest a neuro, and

No neurologist assesses tongue for fasciculations while it is stuck out. The crucial point is to observe the tongue while it is resting on the floor of the mouth. In addition, many people here report tongue twitches but in fact, they have normal tremor/movement.

This is basically how tongue fasciculation look like. Uploaded from a girl I know (benign fasciculation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... GbNjxlZB_c

This is clearly visible and SO different from normal tongue movement. You see how isolated and rapid the movement is.
Last edited by TwitchyDoc on December 10th, 2014, 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on December 10th, 2014, 6:56 am

Yes yes I do get nervous bc of my abnormalities on my emg which I truly never expected. However I draw the line at looking at twitches of an als patient. So thanks for posting but I will not look at this video.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby TwitchyDoc on December 10th, 2014, 6:57 am

This is not an ALS patient.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on December 10th, 2014, 7:07 am

Oh. My apologies. One thing I've refrained from doing is looking up anything about it. Thank you.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Crampydr on December 10th, 2014, 3:20 pm

My tongue does exactly the same as the one in the video. Not that often mind, once or twice a day for a few runs of twitches.
I try not to get too excited about it. It is a muscle, all my other muscles twitch so why should that be excempt.
Take care vx
Crampydr
Interested
Interested

Postby readytocheckout on December 11th, 2014, 5:40 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:No neurologist assesses tongue for fasciculations while it is stuck out.

Yes I know. My apologies for my badly worded post, it was meant to mean that the tongue twitches & tremors etc meant nothing while it was stuck out. They checked my tongue while it was resting in my mouth and saw fasics and said that they're nothing like anything that would be a cause for concern and that was enough for me to not ask any further!

LKP1231 wrote:However I draw the line at looking at twitches of an als patient.

Ahhh that makes two of us !! Call me paranoid.
readytocheckout

Postby misterjuanperalta on December 11th, 2014, 10:56 am

Does speed of a twitch make a difference?
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group