Meditation Challenge

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Meditation Challenge

Postby SecretAgentMan on November 22nd, 2014, 9:42 am

Many months ago there was a 'Diet Challenge' thread where people tried going gluten free among other things. Some people actually had positive experiences where they learned their symptoms surged after eating certain trigger foods. I was thinking recently that perhaps it would be fun to have another thread for those interested in challenging themselves to try something new and different. It is always easier to stick to something new when you are doing it with a group of others.

So, here is the challenge. It is pretty simple. Basically it is to schedule a window of time every day for a week and do a simple 15 minute meditation. It is preferable if you do this at the same time every day, as routine is much easier to maintain with a regular schedule. I do my daily meditation at night right before I get into bed. I figure if I am going to get in a calm and relaxed state, I might as well do it at a time when it will be easier for me to fall asleep afterwards. You may prefer to do it first thing in the morning, before lunch, or right after you get home from work. Whatever works best for you.

For those of you who are new to meditation I have included a link to a guided meditation that I really like at the bottom of this post. It is called a 'Meditation on Twin Hearts' and it is usually performed with Pranic Healing, an energy healing technique. Performing this meditation regularly can be very healing not only for yourself but for others as well. For now you don't need to worry about that, nor how it works if you are new to the concept. Simply look at it as an opportunity to calm and relax yourself and stick to it for just a week and see if it makes you feel any better. Please consider giving this a shot. You only have a few minutes per day to lose by trying.

Here is the link to the meditation: http://pranichealing.com/meditation-twin-hearts

Enjoy!
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Re: Meditation Challenge

Postby garym on November 22nd, 2014, 10:32 am

big fan of meditation....hard to find the time the last several years, but definitely believe it its benefits.
garym

Postby wjjw on November 25th, 2014, 11:02 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:Performing this meditation regularly can be very healing not only for yourself but for others as well.

I was just reading about some of the experiments conducted by William Tiller (an orthodox scientist) that are attempting to demonstrate both the theory and experimental evidence for exactly this (the effect of mental intention). We'll get there, it's just going to take a series of paradigm breaking discoveries.

Regarding the meditation, for those of you that tend to fall asleep (like me), you can also do this standing up, while deeply breathing in and out, similar to qigong. It's that simple. Relax and enjoy it.

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on November 27th, 2014, 10:39 am

Thank you guys. And I do agree, Bill, that the paradigm breaking discoveries are coming. I believe many of them have actually already been discovered but just have not made it into the mainstream yet. Interestingly some are starting to slowly make their way into the mainstream. It will be nice when that day comes, but in the mean time I will continue to do my part to help the cause. After all, tools that help people should be shared and encouraged. :)

Everything in nature that works does so for a reason. Meditation works on so many levels for positive changes to take place. Study upon study upon study shows the positive benefits of meditation. It works to help people in areas of their lives that people on this board are in desperate need of, managing stress and anxiety.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on December 7th, 2014, 11:27 am

Hello all, I just wanted to check in. I hope there were some takers on the challenge. If you personally have not tried it yet, remember that 'now' is always your best opportunity to turn it all around. I'd love to hear people's experiences, but if you don't want to post on a public thread I am always happy to exchange PMs. You don't have to use the meditation I linked to either. There are so many different styles and types to choose from, the sky is the limit. Thank you for your consideration.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on December 7th, 2014, 3:05 pm

I came across this article today and thought I would share to hopefully convince more folks to make the plunge into trying meditation. The article was titled 'Harvard Unveils MRI Study Proving Meditation Literally Rebuilds The Brain’s Gray Matter In 8 Weeks'.

Here is a particularly relevant excerpt:

The participants spent an average of 27 minutes per day practicing mindfulness exercises, and this is all it took to stimulate a major increase in gray matter density in the hippocampus, the part of the brain associated with self-awareness, compassion, and introspection. McGreevey adds: “Participant-reported reductions in stress also were correlated with decreased gray-matter density in the amygdala, which is known to play an important role in anxiety and stress. None of these changes were seen in the control group, indicating that they had not resulted merely from the passage of time.”

The article can be found here: http://www.feelguide.com/2014/11/19/har ... n-8-weeks/
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group