Making it worse in my head?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Making it worse in my head?

Postby dolphin8808 on December 1st, 2014, 10:18 am

So I never experienced any kind of all over body twitching until I pinched a nerve in my lumbar spine. Within a few days of injury I noticed severe spasms in the effected leg/calf. Over the course of a few days, those calmed down but I began to notice all over body twitches. A quick one here, quick one there etc.... Mostly in my legs (about 90%) but some all over. This has continued now for about 3 months. Some days worse than others but I have myself convinced that other symptoms are now starting to show. The doc noticed clinical weakness in my left hip flexor (again of the effected leg/side of the disc herniation). I also have scoliosis so my hips are off center, I know when I squat (I am in the gym 5-6 days a week) I favor that side and have for years as I tend to fall onto my more aligned side. When I first herniated my disc I had significant weakness in my left leg, it has gotten stronger. I used to be able to only do maybe 4-5 lifts onto my toes, now I am able to do 15+. So that must be a good thing that some strength is coming back?

Now for some reason, the hip flexor thing is bothering me and I wondering if it is a sign of something else. I am starting to judge my handwriting to see if maybe that is off. I am always clumsy and drop my keys when I am holding too many things, like at target, I was holding 11 packs of cards and I dropped them twice because they are in plastic wrap and slipped on each other but my mind takes it to some thing more.

I saw the Neurologist in November and I go back next month for an EMG in my legs. He said he is doing it for peace of mind since none of my symptoms even started since I herniated my back.... That he would would not be concerned with *** if it were me but then again, why is he really doing the EMG if he is totally not worried? I also have hyper reflexes. I know my left will show the nerve damage from the herniated disc, I am still numb in the anterior of my foot and back of thigh, and still have weakness from the original injury, will they be able to tell the difference between never damage from a disc vs the dreaded ***?

It was so strange, I was so sick over the weekend and my calf was twitching like crazy... dehydration maybe? I don't know.

Guess I am just reaching out because I am scared right now. I am paying attention to all kinds of things and wondering if this is a sign or that is a sign... they say they can be so subtle people don't even notice? But I am noticing everything and really worrying myself.
dolphin8808

Re: Making it worse in my head?

Postby dolphin8808 on December 1st, 2014, 11:40 am

Also, I do have some muscle atrophy in my left calf of the effected leg if the disc herniation but again, I do think it is getting stronger by the day, but that totally freaks me out as well!
dolphin8808

Postby LKP1231 on December 1st, 2014, 12:58 pm

He's doing the emg to make you feel better and to cover his butt. Your situation is very clear bc you know you had an injury. Whatever an emg will show will confirm that. *** doesn't start with an injury. I'm sure if you'd gone to an orthopedist they wouldn't even suggest an emg. If you feel better and stronger you know you're ok.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on December 1st, 2014, 1:20 pm

EMG is necessary becasue you had spinal injury and this may affect your legs innervation. this is to check if your roots (not anterior horns damaged in ALS) are Ok.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby dolphin8808 on December 1st, 2014, 1:32 pm

Thanks all, sometimes this just really gets the best of me. I mean I self diagnose to the point that I have it planned out that if I do have ALS I am going to move to a "right to state" instead of having my family suffer.

I have all this perceived weakness all of a sudden, I the fatigue the bit of atrophy in my left calf. Rationally my mind tells me that ALS doesn't present itself with an injury, that if I had not herniated a disc, I would not be here questioning this now. But then, why all of a sudden the twitching, 90% of which is in my legs, the hip weakness, the muscle difference in my calves. I worry myself to the point that I can't sleep, I wait for the next twitch to hit. My doc tells me he wouldn't be too worried about it at this point, but that is some what open ended right?

Will the EMG be able to tell the difference from nerve damage due to a herniated disc vs. ***?
dolphin8808

Postby Yuliasir on December 1st, 2014, 2:13 pm

Combined neuro exam and EMG will tell the difference for sure.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby dolphin8808 on December 1st, 2014, 2:31 pm

Thank you, hoping I can have the EMG this month instead of waiting until next. I pray to God for good results and that I am able to put this behind me. I am so tired of worrying about this....
dolphin8808

Postby dolphin8808 on December 1st, 2014, 3:07 pm

EMG scheduled for this Wednesday at 7:45 am, can you tell me what to expect? I've never had one and am very nervous
dolphin8808

Postby wjjw on December 1st, 2014, 5:37 pm

dolphin8808 wrote:EMG scheduled for this Wednesday at 7:45 am, can you tell me what to expect? I've never had one and am very nervous

I can't give you any advise on what to expect, as I've never had one and I'm quite happy that I never needed an EMG. After looking at your posts, I'm sure you don't either. All I can tell you at this point is when they tell you that you're OK, please believe them and move on. You'll be fine.

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on December 1st, 2014, 7:24 pm

The test isn't bad. A needle is used to test each muscle but it really doesn't hurt. First your muscle is relaxed then they have you contract it. The machine makes noise, don't let that alarm you! Up to the doc how many muscles to test. You're gonna be fine!!
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Cobber on December 1st, 2014, 8:09 pm

Hello dolphin 8808

I posted recently on a thread that spoke of twitching related to back issues. You and I seem to have a fair bit in common from what I read of this thread.

Take a look at some of my recent posts. I'm 2 years into this with constant twitching, calf atrophy, toe weakness all on the left all due to spine/disk issues.

For the first 6 months I was concerned. But now that time has passed and after EMG and MRI I feel reassured based on my doctors and neuro diagnosis.

My biggest regret is not listening to them at the start. And constantly analyzing why the left side of my body seemed to have problems compared to my right. Plus the ridicuous strength tests I did to myself.

For some of us I think the spine is critical to our twitching and even muscle problems.

Also Yuliasir is right.......the EMG is important. They worked out that the nerves in my left leg are a mess basically from the EMG. But it's due to sports injuries and spinal stenosis/disk herniation. The MRI also showed the disc degeneration and narrowing of the spinal canal.
Cobber

Postby misterjuanperalta on December 1st, 2014, 9:08 pm

I have 50% canal narrowing in two places of my spine. Indicators are spondylosis, to be confirmed. Problem is, tongue twitching is not explained, even after clean tongue emg.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby dolphin8808 on December 2nd, 2014, 9:58 am

Cobber wrote:Hello dolphin 8808

I posted recently on a thread that spoke of twitching related to back issues. You and I seem to have a fair bit in common from what I read of this thread.

Take a look at some of my recent posts. I'm 2 years into this with constant twitching, calf atrophy, toe weakness all on the left all due to spine/disk issues.

For the first 6 months I was concerned. But now that time has passed and after EMG and MRI I feel reassured based on my doctors and neuro diagnosis.

My biggest regret is not listening to them at the start. And constantly analyzing why the left side of my body seemed to have problems compared to my right. Plus the ridicuous strength tests I did to myself.

For some of us I think the spine is critical to our twitching and even muscle problems.

Also Yuliasir is right.......the EMG is important. They worked out that the nerves in my left leg are a mess basically from the EMG. But it's due to sports injuries and spinal stenosis/disk herniation. The MRI also showed the disc degeneration and narrowing of the spinal canal.

Thank you, wow it does sound like we have a lot in common, the calf atrophy, the twitching etc. I am a nervous wreck! My MRI showed a large herniation at the L5-S1 with nerve root compression. It also showed bulging disc at L3-L4 and L4-L5.

It all started for me after my injury. Within 2 days I had massive calf muscle spasms in the effected leg, within a week, it turned into twitching in both legs.

I am indeed driving myself insane with strength testing, analyzing everytime I drop something, I stumble a bit, I am listening to myself talk for slurring, gripping a bit tighter, calf raises etc.

I have heard the machine makes noise, I know I am going to freak out over that too LOL! Just hate having to worry about this at all....

How long did it take you all to get your results from the EMG? And it can show for sure the difference between nerve injury from a jacked up spine vs the dreaded ***?

Then I read that sometimes you should follow up after 6 months to make sure nothing else shows up? SAY WHAT.

I am such a nervous wreck, I keep reminding myself that this didn't start until after the back injury. Praying this turns out ok, I will leave it alone if it does, I won't worry about *** anymore!
dolphin8808

Postby dolphin8808 on December 2nd, 2014, 10:02 am

Did any of you take anything to help you relax before hand like a xanax? I know my anxiety is going to be through the roof but I don't want to interfere with the test. Just wondering....
dolphin8808

Postby LKP1231 on December 2nd, 2014, 12:30 pm

You can take Xanax it doesn't affect the testing. I asked that myself.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group