Is this BFS? Doctor won't refer me to neuro

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Is this BFS? Doctor won't refer me to neuro

Postby worrier98 on November 30th, 2014, 7:12 am

Hey guys,

I've been twitching for a good 6 months now but recently I'm starting to get weird twitches where my whole hand or foot will move and my fingers and thumbs get these random twitches where they will literally move and it's starting to terrify me! I don't know how to explain it but they're really strong. I keep getting these kind of pops in my face as well which are also really strong, I'm really scared and my anxiety is going crazy. I am seeing a counsellor over health anxiety, but every doctor I've been too about my twitching won't refer me to a neuro as I have no clinical weakness. I just need some reassurance. Is this BFS? or is it something else? Does anyone else experience this kind of twitching? Along with this I get twitches all over my body which feel like something thumping under my skin that I can see, one of my friends has also noticed it. Please help! I'm only 16 :(
worrier98

Re: Is this BFS? Doctor won't refer me to neuro

Postby Yuliasir on November 30th, 2014, 8:48 am

one of the biggest disadvantages of the board chatting is that we can not observe you in life :) so it is hard to judge about the nature of your movements.

there is nothing speical in having certain type of jerks, especailly if sitting relaxed or getting asleep. But if you have persistent and not related to any activity discoordinated involuntary movements, this is called chorea and in this case any doctor must refer you to neuro. Does anybody esle had noted you have those movements? What does your therapist says (he ot she must see you in person and usually choreic movements are not missed by other people).

Anyway many of BFSers have this type of 'big twitching' too and usually nothing bad happens to them.

hope this helps

regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby worrier98 on November 30th, 2014, 9:49 am

Yuliasir wrote:one of the biggest disadvantages of the board chatting is that we can not observe you in life :) so it is hard to judge about the nature of your movements.

there is nothing speical in having certain type of jerks, especailly if sitting relaxed or getting asleep. But if you have persistent and not related to any activity discoordinated involuntary movements, this is called chorea and in this case any doctor must refer you to neuro. Does anybody esle had noted you have those movements? What does your therapist says (he ot she must see you in person and usually choreic movements are not missed by other people).

Anyway many of BFSers have this type of 'big twitching' too and usually nothing bad happens to them.

hope this helps

regards
Yulia

Thanks for the reply. No, no one else has noticed anything, i asked my friend to put her hand on my arm when it was twitching and she said she could feel so I know I'm not crazy! Whenever I ask my parents to feel a twitch happening, it always seems to go away haha. I'm seeing my counsellor tomorrow so I'll see what she says, she hasn't noticed any twitches, it's only my one friend. I'll try going back to the doctors as well, it's starting to get embarrassing though because I go so often and just keep getting told the same thing.
worrier98

Postby RGB on December 5th, 2014, 11:06 am

worrier98 wrote:, it's starting to get embarrassing though because I go so often and just keep getting told the same thing.

There's a reason for that :)

You twitch, possibly because of your anxiety and almost certainly exacerbated by it. You have no weakness. You won't get a referral because no doctor has seen anything to suggest a neurological condition worth investigating.

Listen to them (not me).

RGB.
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby LKP1231 on December 5th, 2014, 12:24 pm

At 16 you do not have to worry about any of those diseases. You've seen the dr and your anxiety is making you suffer. Have you seen anyone for that? That's all you need :)
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS