Lurker for 3 years, things have gotten worse. Please respond

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Lurker for 3 years, things have gotten worse. Please respond

Postby nessie on November 27th, 2014, 1:41 am

Hey everyone. I'm a 26 year old male, and I'm scared and hurting. 3 years ago I noticed twitching in my calf muscles along with general fatigue when standing. Though the calf muscle twitching has subsided, I now have constant 24/7 twitching in my feet (maybe 1-2 twitches per second in each foot.)

But tonight was tough. Over the weekend I spent time at a monastery and had to stand for the liturgy—about an hours worth of standing. I could hardly handle it—my legs were burning, especially my quad muscles, and shifting side to side hardly mitigated the pain. I came home with pain in both my legs, again, especially in my quads.

Tonight I decided to fight the pain and do some running with a friend. About 4 minutes in I stopped to do a stretch, and both my quads cramped and sent a burning pain all the way down my leg. I almost fell over and waddled back to my car, aware that any bending in my leg would cause a painful cramp.

Sure, there are other symptoms. I have random twitches from time to time in my eyes, nose, etc. My jaw hurts (like I've been chewing gum all the time.) My arms get fatigued easily when lift them. I can still walk around and move things and, for the most part, feel like I have my *strength*. But nights like tonight when cramp up and can hardly walk really scare me. Nevermind the constant twitching in my feet.

I don't know what to think guys. Obviously I'm scared of ALS, and I don't know how to process that that just might be the case. Has anyone else experienced this kind of cramping/burning in their muscles along with the twitching? I guess I'm at least looking to start some kind of conversation. Any kind of feedback would be so appreciated. Thank you
nessie

Re: Lurker for 3 years, things have gotten worse. Please res

Postby Yuliasir on November 27th, 2014, 2:03 am

HI nessie,

I wonder that 3 years lurker stll asks if people here experience cramps, burning pains etc. :) becasue the answer should be evident and it is YES, we do.

Lower leg cramps are mostly of circulatory origin, and the fact you have it after bad standing experience and after subsequent run attempt just confirms that. An ulrasound of leg veins usually reveals that some valve function is decreased. Lower legs circulatory problems are extremely common and could occur even in young people, who live both seden tary and very active sports life (as neither of those modes is beneficial for veins). If you are a smoker or taking any meds to make yout blood thicker, it is even more possible. Having standing fatigue also makes worth to go and check leg veins. I had read about people who had vein valves disfunction as early as at their teens. This has nothing with MND or ALS but only with your vessels tissue properties. Think about your olders - if they have any vein issues (like tromboflebitis) - it may be a familial case too, but often it is spontaneous.

Why are you scared of ALS? ALS is a disease of clear neurologic deficites (which you do not report), and usually even if spastic pains are developed first (which is really uncommon for such young age and generally much less common onset compared to weak paralysis coming first), those spasms are strong, persistent and more like stroke in terms of related consequences - contractures, change of leg position, increased muscle tonus, change of reflexes etc.
Calf twitches are one of the commonest in the world, some studies reveal that 70 % or more of otherwise healthy people have them. 3 years are long enough to DIE from ALS, especially in youngsters in which it seems to be more agressive, so should it really be ALS, hardly could you write here not saying about standung for a lithurgy for hours or running or even walking.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on November 27th, 2014, 10:29 am

nessie,

Have you ever looked into your diet? I remember the first time I heard the suggestion I thought it was absurd. I could not see the connection my diet had to muscular and neurological symptoms, but eventually tried it when I realized I had nothing to lose. Some people experience great relief in their symptoms by avoiding certain trigger foods like gluten or dairy. There are reasons that gluten is a trigger food for many people, but I realize it is not for everyone. I just wanted to ask in case you had not heard that before or considered it. Diet is obviously not the only contributor and it is not the primary one either, but it is a big factor in our health (a bigger factor for the immune system that most people realize in fact). Anyway, I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Thank you for checking in.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on November 27th, 2014, 12:52 pm

MSG, Glutamate and Gluten are exitotoxins that can disbalance in one's body, causing damage or death to nerves. This outcome does not present in everyone. Most common is celiac desease and the like. 40 % of *** patients have glutamate excesses or problems metabolizing it, resulting in that and other diseases.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group