Fasciculations and nerve compression

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Fasciculations and nerve compression

Postby xrox on November 18th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Is it true that it is rare to have fasciculations from spinal nerve compression? In other words, it is possible but not a typical finding?
xrox

Re: Fasciculations and nerve compression

Postby LKP1231 on November 18th, 2014, 3:45 pm

My neuro says it's possible (blames mine on back issues such as that) but I have my doubts.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Cobber on November 24th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Hi
Have a look at my posts (especially recent one......I don't post much). My neuro has linked my left calf muscle atrophy, big toe weakness and 2 years of 24/7 left leg muscle twitching to my lower back issues.

Having said that .... in their diagnosis they were more interested to work out why my left calf had atrophied gradually over many years and they came back with the lower spinal damage due to stenosis or herniated disks.

They didn't specifically link the nerve compression to the twitching but I'm assuming that for me BFS has settled into my weaker nerves in my body (for whatever reason).

FYI......my left leg twitches have been firing away for almost 2 years all day everyday.
Cobber

Postby LKP1231 on November 25th, 2014, 7:47 am

Cobber, your story helps me a great deal. My emg abnormalities are explained by my MRI results which include stenosis and herniations. I have no back pain either. I'm only in my 4th month of this,sure wish I had a year or 2 behind me. Trying to trust the 2 neuros I saw and continue with PT. My legs hurt and twitch but I'm trying to stay positive. Thanks for sharing your experience.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Cobber on November 25th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Glad the info helps.

If you saw my left calf/ankle you would laugh (I do now....I didn't 1.5 years back!). It's ridiculously thin compared to the right due to the nerve damage over years through back problems. I don't have pain though (although I used to). And most importantly I have maintained the muscle I have through exercise. I'm athletic so I swim, bike ride, do 5km runs, weight training all at a good intensity. For my situation it's important to keep active to maintain the muscle I have in that leg. It's not unusual for older/inactive people to have stenosis and develop walking problems due to foot drop and since it's hard for them to keep active sometimes it can explain why the muscle gradually weakens when they have stenosis or herniated disks.

Having said that I can't raise my left toe (I can push down though with strength) and if I walk on my heels the left foot will not point upwards anywhere near what the right can. It's not improved in 2 years but it's not got any worse or spread which is important.

And the twitching is insane. All day everyday at least 30 per minute in the leg for 2 years now. The neuro said it's hard to explain why it keeps firing away. One theory is that I have BFS and its settled into the weaker/damaged nerves in my body (left leg) but it can also rear its ugly head when I’m overly tired in other body parts..........although that's becoming rare in the past year.

Stay strong and be positive! It helps immensely. I was very doubtful for the first half year or so and at the end of the day it was time wasted worrying.
Cobber

Postby LKP1231 on November 25th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Well I'm glad you're doing well :)
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics