New Symptom - Sore Lymph Nodes / Glands?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New Symptom - Sore Lymph Nodes / Glands?

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on November 6th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Hi all,

My latest and greatest may or may not be BFS related. About a week ago I noticed my jaw area felt a little more sore than usual. I deal with TMJ / TMD type discomfort regularly since this whole BFS menagerie started almost a year ago. But this felt a little different. So, I poked and prodded deeper below my ear lobe and found a sore lymph node. I panicked, thought it was enlarged, and made an appointment with my doctor. During the week between making my appointment and actually seeing the doctor I had some other symptoms show up. Just some more general discomfort along the lymph nodes in my neck, some pain / pressure behind around my ears and the back of my head / neck. Also, once during the day I felt like my sugar would drop. I would feel really unwell, nauseous, tired. If I ate something, I recovered pretty quickly. I'm not demonstrating anything related to the cold or flu. No abnormal sinus discharge or chest congestion. No sore muslces or aches like that are flu-like. Also, I feel almost perfectly fine when I wake up. The more I move around, the more I get into my day, the further along I get into work, the more things just start to get uncomfortable...

Anyways, I saw the doctor two days ago. Took her a while to finally locate what I was calling a "swollen" lymph node. She kinda giggled and said that it wasn't swollen and doesn't feel suspicious at all. I told her about BFS / Fibro and how I read that sore lymph nodes are supposedly common in people with CFS / Fibro due to a heightened pain awareness. She didn't recognize the link. Instead she believes it's just allergies. She also found some fluid behind my ear drums and prescribed a steroid nasal spray. I haven't taken the spray as I'm afraid of the side affects. But I might give it a shot over the weekend.

Anyways. This is new for me. Just wondering if others have dealt with sore lymph nodes in the past. I understand it's pretty common stuff. Just wish it would go away.
UFGatorGuy20

Re: New Symptom - Sore Lymph Nodes / Glands?

Postby leaflea on November 6th, 2014, 6:04 pm

I think it is more common than most think. We, as a group, seem to think about these things more and freak out. I have had swollen nodes from time to time, they usually go away in a couple weeks. I got a recurrent one in the jaw line that hurt a little, but haven't had it now for many months. We are so in tune with every little thing, a little sinus trouble and we know about it. Good Luck. The sinus spray is fine, just don't use more than 2-3 days. You could use a saline spray all you like with no untoward effects.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on November 7th, 2014, 12:47 am

As a person with chronic something living in my throat and mouth and causing me recurrent ulcers, I may say that slightly increased and a bit painful lymph nodes around jaws are not something special in my case. 99 % of us have herpes 1 virus (causing for most of us this unpleasant lip stuff) so actually first thought about increased and a bit painful neck nodes might be 'oh hello HSV1'. Usually it even does not give you any fever or swollen lips and will return to a normal state in a few days. Actually nodes close to the possible infection gates (which is our natual openings on the head and in the lower abdomen) could be swollen sometimes indicating we are silently fighting some minor infection.
Strong pain without signs of infection, prolonged and visible swelling of those or other nodes - that is what should be a warning sign. But in this case hardly your doctor could miss that :)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on November 7th, 2014, 11:56 am

Thanks for the feedback team.

It's strange how the discomfort comes and goes similar to the globus sensation I experience: http://voicedoctor.net/therapy/lump

I feel pretty good when I wake up. If I get stressed or get down and do some push ups or kink my neck a certain way, I can feel it all more on the sides of my throat / neck. Also if I talk a while or eat. Kinda like TMJ. I ran 3 miles last night to get my mind off of it. Felt great during, but afterwards maybe I feel I overdid it. Anyways, I don't have any wicked fatigue, weight loss, etc. and I guess pain on the lymph nodes generally rules out the nastier things.

One day at a time eh mates?

Cheers!
UFGatorGuy20

Postby SecretAgentMan on November 8th, 2014, 9:22 am

UFGatorGuy20,

I'm actually going through something similar right now. During the summer I had some lower abdominal discomfort/tenderness. I went to an allopathic doctor because the symptoms seemed to match a hernia. The discomfort would increase if I coughed or exerted myself. I came back with no signs of a hernia though after a thorough exam. They just said to keep an eye on it and to make another appointment if the issues persisted. I went to my chiropractor and acupuncturist next and his exam indicated that it was in fact my lymphatic system that was inflamed. It also appeared to be diet related. I went back on a supplement called Lauricidin (http://lauricidin.com/). Lauricidin is an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral dietary supplement that helps your gut and immune system without harming the healthy gut flora. Pretty good stuff. Anyway, after taking it for a few days I found the inflammation discomfort dramatically decreased. For some reason I still have it to a very minor degree, but the supplement is keeping it pretty well in check. We are pursing the primary reason for the inflammation now. I'm completely over my BFS, so I don't believe this to be BFS related. I do believe it is dietary and gut related though. My lymph node soreness is in a different location than yours, but the lymphatic system is all connected, so you never know. I just thought I would chime in with my experience so you have another data point.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on November 20th, 2014, 2:40 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:UFGatorGuy20,

I'm actually going through something similar right now. During the summer I had some lower abdominal discomfort/tenderness. I went to an allopathic doctor because the symptoms seemed to match a hernia. The discomfort would increase if I coughed or exerted myself. I came back with no signs of a hernia though after a thorough exam. They just said to keep an eye on it and to make another appointment if the issues persisted. I went to my chiropractor and acupuncturist next and his exam indicated that it was in fact my lymphatic system that was inflamed. It also appeared to be diet related. I went back on a supplement called Lauricidin (http://lauricidin.com/). Lauricidin is an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral dietary supplement that helps your gut and immune system without harming the healthy gut flora. Pretty good stuff. Anyway, after taking it for a few days I found the inflammation discomfort dramatically decreased. For some reason I still have it to a very minor degree, but the supplement is keeping it pretty well in check. We are pursing the primary reason for the inflammation now. I'm completely over my BFS, so I don't believe this to be BFS related. I do believe it is dietary and gut related though. My lymph node soreness is in a different location than yours, but the lymphatic system is all connected, so you never know. I just thought I would chime in with my experience so you have another data point.

Hey! Great to hear from you again. My lymph node soreness decreased over this past weekend and even early this week. I felt I was over it and very excited. But, now it is back again. I worked out pretty hard Monday and yesterday (Wednesday). It really feels like multiple areas in my neck though (lymph nodes, near adams apple, muscles, etc.). My gums are even a little sore and so is my throat to the tiniest degree. I was also getting a lot of pressure in my ears and around my salivary glands. It worsens with stress and if I move / stretch / poke the areas repeatedly to "test" them. I wake up literally feeling fine. I wonder if it's muscle / nerve related and not just all lymphatic... if that makes sense... I got back on some Klonopin when this first started and it really did seem to help.

I have really gotten over what I consider most of my classic BFS symptoms as well. Greatly diminished twitching. Less numbness and perceived weakness. Followed your diet recommendations. But lately, I just feel lousy. Like I have the flu, but without congestion. My allergies have been pretty bad. Stress is really bad. I think it's a mix of several things. I follow up with the doctor in a week or so. I will definitely look into Lauricidin.

Thanks!
UFGatorGuy20

Postby SecretAgentMan on November 20th, 2014, 7:00 pm

I'd recommend going after the stress as your priority. Stress is inflammatory and will drive problems in all kinds of different areas, particularly in the immune system. Do you meditate? The best way to get rid of stress is to let go of the desire/need to control the outcome of things outside of your control. Easier said than done, but it is doable. Worrying accomplishes nothing and in fact usually is counterproductive towards the outcome you desire or are working towards. Yet we worry anyway... Why? Because we are attached to an idea of how we want things to go. The key is to let go of that attachment. Meditation is a great way of doing this. Here is a meditation called 'Twin Hearts' that is used in Pranic Healing: http://pranichealing.com/meditation-twin-hearts

Perhaps try listening and visualizing along and see how you feel. I'd urge you to try it at least once a day for a week because repetition is necessary for lasting effects. If you don't like this one you can seek out another. The key is in relaxing, visualizing, and just simply letting go. Good luck to you!
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on December 24th, 2014, 12:06 pm

I will definitely try the meditation technique.

I was in a panic the last few weeks as those lymph nodes have been persistently sore and I also started to have pain around my thyroid. Also an ear ache. Combine those symptoms and things don't point in a nice direction. However, I just had a clean ultrasound finished on my thyroid and they said it looked perfect.
UFGatorGuy20

Postby SecretAgentMan on December 24th, 2014, 4:41 pm

So, I have been making progress on my front. One of my friends does Reiki energy healing on the side. Two of his students are getting ready to be certified and they needed more hours of experience under supervision in order to complete their training. They offered free Reiki sessions to help them get the additional experience they needed. I decided to give it a try. It was a pretty positive experience as I lay on the table and let the lady work on me. I had very strong impressions of colors and felt incredibly relaxed. I also had a brief moment when I felt an intense emotion of frustration release. The energy of these negative emotions, if not released, will sit in the emotional body and stagnate the energy eventually causing physical problems to manifest. It suddenly became obvious to me that the frustration I was hanging on to related to my job.

I have had it validated to me too many times to be able to ignore the connection that emotional issues have with physical health issues. Fear, frustration, anger, guilt, shame, and all the other negative emotions can lead to health problems if we don't learn to sever our attachments. Whether it is an idea or concept of how we think things should be, a person or relationship, or a material object of desire, our attachments to things external to ourselves drive emotional dependencies that need to be processed and released in a healthy manner. When we hang on to these emotions and don't let them go, over time they cause trouble.

Making the realization as to what I needed to focus on resolving was the critical first step. Since I have started consciously focusing on changing my situation with my job and my perspective of it, things have been improving. I've finally begun to have breakthroughs that had been eluding me previously. It is amazing how once you begin to focus on the root of the problem how things just start working out. My advice is to dig deep within your own mind and psyche. Find the unresolved issues you have and find a way to face and deal with them. Come to peace with them. You have all the guidance you need within you already to find the answers you seek.

I will give you an example of what I mean. I had a bad day yesterday. Money is tight at work. As a measure to help control fixed costs my organization decided this year in lieu of raises based on performance, they decided to give one time bonuses based on performance. This is nice and all, but a raise will pay you at a new level year after year. A one time bonus does not change the baseline. I was disheartened to get this news in my annual performance appraisal. I consciously knew that I should just be thankful that I have a job that pays what it does. On an emotional level though I felt like it was a slap in the face. How do you reconcile the conscious mind with the emotional mind that cares nothing of logic. It only knows the way things feel. This is further demonstrated by people on this forum who know they need to get their anxiety and fear under control but cannot help but feel the way they do. Again, the trick is in knowing how to reconcile the emotional mind with the logical rational mind.

So I came home in a funk last night. I sat down for my evening meditation early because I knew I had work to do. I asked the question, how do I reconcile these feelings? I have learned to just go with the visuals that come up. I saw myself sitting in a beautiful zen like garden and a kind old man was sitting across from me. He was sitting in the center of a sphere and there were threads running from him out to the sphere and I understood the threads to be attachment to things in the external environment. Again, this would be attachments to the way things are or the way we want things to be. Attachments to people, places, relationships, status, image, etc. In my case I was upset for not getting a raise. I was attached to a concept of money and status, the way I wanted things to be. The attachment to how I wanted things to be vs. the way things were was causing me emotional angst. So he sat in the middle of this sphere with all of these threads running out to the sphere around him. Then in one quick swoop he spun around 360 degrees and every single thread was broken. The attachments were cut. He then sat in silence and focused his energy and attention inward to the core of his being. He then said (towards his core) "I love you no matter what." He focused this statement and intention towards all of the parts of himself that were affected by the attachments. He repeated this statement several times.

I thanked him for this instruction and I followed the visualization myself. I felt a deep peace come over me as I performed it. I was able to fall asleep with relative ease that I do not believe would have been possible without the exercise. All I did was sit down, relax, and follow through with a creative visualization exercise. In the process I was able to reconcile some emotional angst with my logical rational mind. I bridged the gap and found peace that had eluded me all day long as I stewed over the seeming injustice of my situation. I will repeat this exercise again tonight to further process through the remaining unease I feel today. It is a continual process, and needs continued attention. When practiced regularly though you can be a rock in the worst of storms, a solid anchor to the peace that you always have within.

I hope this helps.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby reanne2489 on February 1st, 2015, 6:35 am

I have been experiencing something EXTREMELY similar…

For a while I would get a sudden tight pain in my neck, and spasms/twitching there too.

The recently because I had itchy red skin on my neck [hopefully just contact dermatitis due to cold weather and woolen jumpers] I noticed the lymph node on the left side of my neck just above the collar bone and shoulder was huge! I felt it sticking out of my neck like a marble! It wasn't sore, just swollen for a few days, and then my neck started aching on this side.

Yesterday as I flew to America I started having pain from behind my left ear down into my collar bone on this side of my neck and again this aching and spasming. I also had shooting pain from cold food behind my left molar teeth on my left side also.

I do not have a sore throat or ear infection. I did have some slight aches and pains and headaches, so I am not sure if I am fighting off some sort of flu/ infection.

But yes, the fact my neck was spasming worried me, and I was twitching much more with these symptoms too…also predominantly on the left side. I will be seeing my doc at the end of the month for an examination of these lymph nodes if they haven't decreased in swelling and an ultrasound.

I had bloods taken back in September when my twitching started suddenly and the full blood tests were clear, so I'm hoping if this was something insidious like cancer it might have shown up something then.

Does anyone know from their experience if their twitching worsens when they are ill? I am slightly worried cause I don't have a sore throat or chest infection to be causing this swelling. I do however have some allergy issues in that I'll wake up every morning and sneeze repeatedly for most of the morning, producing a huge amount phlegm, until I take an antihistamine; I don't know if this could be linked, but I've had this for almost a year now since moving to China.

Thanks for your input!
reanne2489

Postby reanne2489 on February 3rd, 2015, 1:02 pm

I also wanted to ask if people know of any link between twitching and cancer? I read a little about it but it's tarely reported and usually as a form of peripheral neuropathy when students have commenced treatment. I read about tumors compressing nerves that can lead to twitching but that wouldn't really explain body wide twitching.

I am just concerned that since discovering this large lymph node in my neck and subsequent pains, I am getting lots of neck spasms and jerks/ tics.

My twitching has increased again all over, mainly on the left of my body (also the side where my glands are swollen) and yes whilst concerned I am not anxious as I have gone down that route before and know it serves no purpose.

I'm just asking for people's knowledge on this?

I'll be seeing my doc for an ultrasound and a biopsy at the end of the month so that gives me time to monitor if the glands go down, as I was taking lamisil and a new birth control pill, and wondered if it coul be a side effect.

Thanks everyone!
reanne2489

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS