Foot Atrophy

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Foot Atrophy

Postby reanne2489 on November 18th, 2014, 9:00 am

Hi all,

My foot is definitely showing something wrong. I've taken pics now which demonstrate this...

Can someone please give my a second opinion on my left foot? It's much more curved than the right and hurt along the arch where this curve is showing. Everything I look up doesn't sound good...either ALS [although this would be the most niche way for ALS to show...in a 25 year old female, with twitching then pain in/ atrophy in foot before clinical weakness...although i would say i cannot balance on my toes on my left foot for as long as my right...but can still do all these things as normal and when running etc i can still do it...but ive heard of als patients who could still walk 2 miles/ run marathons when their foot drop began]

Or CMT or Diabetes...but i think that would have shown up in the initial blood tests i ran, and im sure id have other symptoms by now although i know foot atrophy can be an initial indicator.

Please help- should I see my doc again?

Thank you so much...and here was me doing better mentally!
reanne2489

Re: Foot Atrophy

Postby LKP1231 on November 18th, 2014, 9:12 am

No two feet are exactly the same. Was it always like this possibly? It doesn't look like a big difference in the pic
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby reanne2489 on November 18th, 2014, 9:24 am

I have no idea. Like i know my toes on both feet are slightly different- wonky on one side [potentially from breaks playing field hockey years ago] compared to the left. I know I've obviously been paying more attention to my feet now ever since the pain started, and as the curve is where is hurts on my left foot im naturally worried this is atrophy/ pes cavus forming.

I'm trying not to go into full blown panic as work is so very busy and I can't afford to see my doc/ neurologist until pay day. But how likely could this be ALS happening in a round about way? I've read of some people [the minority] starting with widespread fasics [although mine were always confined mostly to this leg] and some who noticed some pain with atrophy, and/ or no weakness for a time after fasics starting.

I think now this is sending me into a whirl- as I know it took ages to get a medical english translation of my EMG here, and the only thing it initally brought up was sensory issue [which a second neurologist debunked]...however, if there is a sensory issue then it might explain the pain, and point to something like CMT or Diabetes...however, im not really in the risk category for diabetes either. I'm not overweight and it's not in my family. I do, however, have PCOS and am on the pill so may be pre-diabetic...i just keep thinking the hereditary neurological disorder and diabetic thing seems less likely than ALS....and i'm scared to death again....
reanne2489

Postby LKP1231 on November 18th, 2014, 9:54 am

You said that the pelvic adjustment was helpful. With all the activity you can do it doesn't seem like anything as serious as what you worry over. Do you follow up with the dr who did the adjustment? This certainly doesn't seem like *** at all from what you describe.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby reanne2489 on November 18th, 2014, 10:41 am

The foot was at a point of being a lot more painful before having my pelvis realigned, but it is still sore atm.

Well i dont really do exercise anymore. I certainly haven't been running since my knee, and then my foot started hurting. Also, whilst being a naturally sporty person, since becoming a teacher, i am much MUCH less active so I know it's nothing from that.

I was meant to see my osteopath about my knees and feet this past week but couldnt afford to until next month.

For me, im just incredibly anxious again as my twitching was always focal in my left leg. There is still the size difference between my knee [very obvious] thigh and calves, as well as this new foot arch/ pain. I do have widespread twitching too, and i know that's usually more indicative of BFS, but this size issue, if not related to a problem must have always been there and not been spotted by me or to do with having a twisted pelvis. I was hoping the foot might have been connected to that, but I don't think loss of muscle, or an increased curve comes from pelvis misalignment, rather a flat foot would be.

I am trying to tell myself the odds are in my favour, and if not, id have won the worst lottery ever...
reanne2489

Postby LKP1231 on November 18th, 2014, 12:46 pm

You'll get there. Keep up with the osteopath when you can. I think you will see improvement.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby RIno468 on November 18th, 2014, 3:54 pm

your foot "atrophy" would have been after you noticed a difference in your walking / running --

you said you can still do those things -- its probably just the way your body is made -- or because your foot is sore for an UNRELATED NON MND reason -- its possible to have lost some mass --

Once you cant WALK -- I would worry -- until then -- breathe!
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby reanne2489 on November 18th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Thanks for the support and input. My doctor wishes to have another look to check for UMN signs again, and to see if it could be structural damage from again, those beastly sandals I wore for 4 months this summer. I am, like you said Rino, trying to tell myself that I should surely be having more difficulty doing things if this is atrophy.

I am feeling like it is more sensory due to 1. the pain and 2. things like cold affect it- if i am bare foot on the tiles of my apartment my feet feel like they stiffen/ go a little numb...so it may be some form of neuropathy, but hopefully something that can be managed.
reanne2489

Postby RIno468 on November 19th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Well -- I looked at my feet and they are exactly like yours --

One arch is definitely higher than the other.

My left foot has been bothering me for months actually now that I think about it.

However the good news is -- I read that if it was ALS related and was a precursor to foot drop, the arches would actually drop not thin out.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Cobber on November 19th, 2014, 9:15 pm

I just want to point out that even if you have a difference in muscle size and twitching it's most likely not what we fear.

For 2 years I have had constant twitching in my left foot and calf (literally 20-60 twitches all day and night for 2 years, it's never stopped). Plus random other places as well. My left foot is smaller than my right. My left calf has lost a lot of muscle compared to my right (confirmed by neuro and doc). I can't raise my left toe (although I can push down with it). So I got constant twitching, atrophy and muscle weakness. Sounds grim but having first noticed all this (the twitching alerted me) 2 years ago the most concerning symptoms (lower leg atrophy and weakness on the left) have not increased but just remained the same.

After all the proper medical checks (EMG's, MRI's etc etc) it turns out that the lower discs in my back are herniated and diminishing. Even though I feel no back pain. I did have sciatica 14 years ago and it seems the damage it (along with my current lower back problems) have gradually thinned out my left calf and foot. From memory in my 20's I used to roll my ankle a lot too during sport........which has probably wrecked the nerves and other bits that help build muscle in that area.

I still exercise hard (running, swimming, weights) although I stopped for 4 months in 2013 when the docs/neuro's were deciding what was wrong with me. In fact now I've been encouraged to work out by medical staff to make sure my left lower leg doesn't lose the muscle I have left on it.

Obviously I'm not saying this is what could be wrong with you but I'm trying to say that if your left foot is really smaller than your right it most likely a result of something other than what you mainly fear.
Cobber

Postby reanne2489 on November 19th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Thanks for the reassurance.

I always have underlying anxiety because my lower back MRI came back fine, just saying I have one bulging disc but no nerve compression. Also, my EMG, after 4/5 weeks of solid twitching in my left leg was also clean.

I am asking my doctor to find out what the first neurologist might suspect when they thought there was a sensory issue.

Like it was interesting....when my twitching began in my left calf, and I became hyperaware of it, that was when I noticed how much thinner my left knee was than my right, and then the composition of my calves [technically they measure pretty much the same] but the left is fattier than my right. Now with this curved/ indent in my left foot...that has definitely been appearing more clearly over the 2 1/2 months of twitching I've had.

I'd hoped that my pelvis might have been compressing a nerve in my groin, and I do need to continue to follow up with my osteopath to see if he thinks that could be the case.
reanne2489

Postby reanne2489 on November 20th, 2014, 8:24 am

Hi all,

I sometimes wish these forums also had stress hotlines or ways to meet up with fellow twitchers...

I'm on the verge of breaking out in stress/ panics again. My foot is so sore where the curvature is more pronounced, and everytime I try to look up an alternative injury that could be causing this pain, nothing matches up. I'm also worried cause the toe on this foot droops lower than the rest of my toes automatically, whereas the right foot doesn't really do this. Moreover, when im walking, it feels like the sole of my shoe pushes more into the sole of the left foot than the right- it's quite uncomfortable :(

I'm just scared that my EMG test wasn't translated or conducted correctly here in china.

It's just with the twitching increasing recently, and feelings today of almost spasms in my neck, I keep feeling like ALS/ PLS is the only explanation.

Does anyone know if pain and atrophy can be symptoms of foot drop before it completely flops? I've read these can be symptoms on neurological websites, but couldnt ascertain if they are accompanying symptoms of the foot drop or precursors to it.
reanne2489

Postby misterjuanperalta on November 20th, 2014, 10:45 am

*** is not sensory. To what extent, I don't know. I empathize with you.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby reanne2489 on November 23rd, 2014, 7:49 am

So the pain in the foot has spread from just the arch to around my toes, which feel sore and stiff, to a little across the top of my foot and sometimes the tendon above my heel. It has gotten to the point where even though I walk normally, I have to flex the foot to stop certain areas hurting/ building up in pain. I also felt like limping a little yesterday and today from the pain. Nothing helps- not rest or pain killers, and I'm worried this preceeding a foot drop/ pes cavus forming.

My friend looked at my foot and says in the pics and in real life, sometimes the shadow makes the arch look more pronounced.
But I know the immediate inside of the arch of my left foot is definitely more "dipped"/ curved than the right foot.

I find this bizarre if it is ALS atrophy, as surely it is a weird order to have twitching, followed by atrophy and then weakness, because I can still do everything with this foot as normal- I am more unsteady on it, but I think that may have always been the case with this leg, and more than anything, when standing on tip toe, there's nothing stopping me do it other than the pain it causes my toes/ arch.
reanne2489

Postby LKP1231 on November 23rd, 2014, 11:51 am

This is not ***. You would not have the pain you're experiencing. It seems like an injury. You just need to find the right person to treat it for you.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Questions About BFS