More Symptoms, Anxiety Up and Dwon again

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

More Symptoms, Anxiety Up and Dwon again

Postby tschloer on November 11th, 2014, 10:25 am

As some may remember back in August I started having some twitching, a few weeks after beginning twitching I experienced extreme fatigue, muscle soreness and wasn't getting any sleep or eating due to severe anxiety. A wake up call from my father and a few days "away" got me feeling better, but was still having the twitching and some fatigue. In September I had a spinal tap done, a CT Scan and a few days later an EMG and Nerve Conductivity Test. The Neurologiost said everything looked normal but really gave me no details. The only thing was an increased amount of Protein in my spinal tap, but he never really explained why? He wants me to come back in January for a follow up EMG. Since then I have been up and down, both health wise and anxiety wise. For a few weeks I felt real good and had very few twitches, the next week complete opposite, twitches everywhere and severe anxiety. I was prescribed Lorezepam 1mg as needed. It don't seem to do much??? Anyway heres where I am now. I am having muscle twitching almost constant, all over from my feet to my head. Discomfort on the back of my right knee. My newest thing is neck and shoulder fatigue and discomfort, especially when I am trying to sleep. We got 15" of snow yesterday and I had to blow snow and my shoulders just seemed like they were weaker, It seems like I am swallowing different like I have a ball in my throat, and sometimes I get almost a click when I swallow. I really have been trying very hard to keep thinking positive but things are starting to get the best of me again. I did get some blood work done the other day and I am very low on Vitamin D, my level was 18 and they said it should be between 30 and 80. I was prescribed 50,000 units twice a week for 12 weeks, then 2000 units daily. Have any of you experienced this with BFS? Could this stuff be caused by Low Vitamin D? Everywhere I turn it seems something about ALS is popping up and then it gets in my head again, I just want to be normal again and I really have been trying hard at it.
tschloer
Interested
Interested

Re: More Symptoms, Anxiety Up and Dwon again

Postby LKP1231 on November 11th, 2014, 11:01 am

I know low D can affect muscles. Could your anxiety over all this be making it worse? The fact the you could shovel all that snow should make you feel good. Even if you didn't feel great doing it you were still able to. I started with a tongue and a
Swallowing thing a few weeks ago too. Neuro follow up is next week. I know how you feel, it's impossible to relax. By the way it's much better not to see or hear details of testing. If the dr says it's fine then let it be. Too much information gets confusing and scary.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby tschloer on November 14th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Ugghh, Anxiety has been bad the past few days.

I got a question for all you longtime BFSers. Heres whats going on. I have widespread twitches all over my body. Mainly arms, butt and thighs as of late. Soon as I awake in the morning and move a part of my body, I feel a twitch. When I first started to get twitches, they were mainly in my calves and feet. My shoulders, feet, thumbs and spots in my legs all have like a slight numb/sore feeling even when I wake up. I feel like I have a lump in my throat, I cant sit still, I constantly am shaking a foot or tapping my thumbs, my neck feels stiff at times, almost tired. Always comparing ones side of my bodies muscles to the other side. My twitching started back in early august, I have no atrophy or "weakness" anywhere that I can tell at this point. My thumbs and shoulders feel weaker to me, but I can still do everything I have always done as far as lifting up my kids and such. Also sometimes I get a shaky feeling, like light headed and unsteady, bu Ive never tripped or fallen over, Could all of this really be cause by BFS and/or anxiety, I cant help but think its something more serious? Only thing I have been diagnosed is Vit D deficiency, I am taking 50000 IU twice a week for 12 weeks, then 2000IU a day after that's done. Does this sounds like something more serious to anyone? I cant stop thinking about ALS..... I have been taking Ativan as needed but I am almost out and I don't think the doc will refill as he said these are only to be taken as needed, not necessarily daily and if I run out I should consider going on a daily anxiety med?? Help, I am going out of my mind??? Also, one more thing. I have noticed my twitches are usually more towards my joints than like in the center of a muscle, like around my elbows and shoulder blades, knees, etc?
tschloer
Interested
Interested

Postby RGB on November 14th, 2014, 3:08 pm

tschloer wrote: Could all of this really be cause by BFS and/or anxiety,

Yes.

Stop over-thinking it.

RGB

PS ^^^ I'm only being that brief because it really is that simple!
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tschloer on November 14th, 2014, 3:21 pm

I like your sig line RGB, Twitching and Healthy!
tschloer
Interested
Interested

Postby d4twitch on November 14th, 2014, 7:08 pm

tschloer wrote:Ugghh, Anxiety has been bad the past few days.

I got a question for all you longtime BFSers. Heres whats going on. I have widespread twitches all over my body. Mainly arms, butt and thighs as of late. Soon as I awake in the morning and move a part of my body, I feel a twitch. When I first started to get twitches, they were mainly in my calves and feet. My shoulders, feet, thumbs and spots in my legs all have like a slight numb/sore feeling even when I wake up. I feel like I have a lump in my throat, I cant sit still, I constantly am shaking a foot or tapping my thumbs, my neck feels stiff at times, almost tired. Always comparing ones side of my bodies muscles to the other side. My twitching started back in early august, I have no atrophy or "weakness" anywhere that I can tell at this point. My thumbs and shoulders feel weaker to me, but I can still do everything I have always done as far as lifting up my kids and such. Also sometimes I get a shaky feeling, like light headed and unsteady, bu Ive never tripped or fallen over, Could all of this really be cause by BFS and/or anxiety, I cant help but think its something more serious? Only thing I have been diagnosed is Vit D deficiency, I am taking 50000 IU twice a week for 12 weeks, then 2000IU a day after that's done. Does this sounds like something more serious to anyone? I cant stop thinking about ALS..... I have been taking Ativan as needed but I am almost out and I don't think the doc will refill as he said these are only to be taken as needed, not necessarily daily and if I run out I should consider going on a daily anxiety med?? Help, I am going out of my mind??? Also, one more thing. I have noticed my twitches are usually more towards my joints than like in the center of a muscle, like around my elbows and shoulder blades, knees, etc?

1.) Low Vitamin D levels is incredibly common. My results back a few months ago was the exact same, low vit d levels at 18 :P. I was also prescribed the exact same thing. 50000 IU for 12 weeks (only once a week), 2000 IU daily after that.

2.) Shaky feelings are really common with BFS from what I know. Many people have an internal tremor feeling due to anxiety as well as muscle ratcheting, which is an unsmooth movement of the extensions of muscles. Lightheadedness is likely anxiety, but certainly not a symptom of ALS.

3.) If your twitches are widespread and you don't have weakness, that probably points towards BFS. So stop worrying yourself. I know it's hard to not get anxious over it.
d4twitch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS