Upper Neuron Signs

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Upper Neuron Signs

Postby reanne2489 on November 14th, 2014, 4:54 am

I have a question about the babinski reflex...one thing- can we illicit this test on ourselves? I'm interested as my left foot [the one I always worry about] has a big toe which droops lower than the rest of the toes. It's not a toe drop because the right foot has a big toe which droops a little lower than the rest of the toes, but on the left it droops much more easily than on the right. It also sits a little further apart from the rest of the toes.

I know how the babinski test is conducted, but a bit like tickling oneself, i don't know if we are able to check our own reflexes? So far, neither foot abducts [curl downwards as per a normal reflex] but just sit deadpan- the big toe might wiggle a little as the stroking tickles but i doesn't flex up and the rest of the toes definitely dont fan out.

On another note- it would be bizarre for a foot to atrophy, a knee to atrophy and a thigh to thin, with pain in the foot, leg and knee and there not be any weakness right????

Thanks! I'm really fed up with all these symptoms now. :(
reanne2489

Re: Upper Neuron Signs

Postby LKP1231 on November 14th, 2014, 6:59 am

I highly doubt you could effectively test your own reflexes especially that one. I have no reaction to babinski and the docs said that's ok as long as I don't have the big toe goin up or the toes fanning out
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby LKP1231 on November 14th, 2014, 7:10 am

And yes, I'm sure there would be weakness if there is atrophy!
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS