sore tongue?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

sore tongue?

Postby nickston on November 2nd, 2014, 9:45 pm

My tongue has been sore for two weeks. I think it's because I was overusing it by self testing. I think I made it worse by inadvertently doing things to make my mouth excessively dry (baking soda toothpaste, not hydrating etc). I've fixed those things now.

I've been trying to rest my tongue but it's only marginally better. Anyone ever have this and if so how long until it went away?

Thanks
nickston
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: sore tongue?

Postby Xina535 on November 4th, 2014, 9:38 am

Hi - I dont have this with my tongue, but I have had soreness from constant testing...on my hands and my left leg. I would think the same can happen to a tongue, as it is a muscle.

Lately, I've had fears from salivating and waves that I noticed on my tongue, so I've been moving it around a lot, just from being nervous, and I have noticed a slight burning and swollen type feeling, like as if I burned it. I take it as it's just over-worked.

If you said it's marginally better, then that's great news. It may just need more time.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on November 4th, 2014, 1:29 pm

I get a sore tongue just about every year around this time, and for me I suspect it is one of two things: Dehydration, because the weather is colder and I am not drinking as much water. Or acid reflux. A burning tongue is one of the signs that you are having reflux issues. It always goes away once the weather starts warming up again. It has always been one of my weirdest symptoms though.

Also, a lot of the time when it feels like you have "too much saliva", a lot of that is just that your tongue is sensitive and you are feeling the saliva that you normally wouldn't feel. So it feels like you have all this extra water in your mouth even though you don't.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on November 4th, 2014, 3:17 pm

MarioMangler wrote:Or acid reflux. A burning tongue is one of the signs that you are having reflux issues.

Yet ANOTHER symptom I've mentioned on here that someone else on here has pointed to acid reflux and stomach issues. I am picking up my referral to an ENT tomorrow. Finally able to make an appointment and get to the bottom of my stomach and throat problems. DIdn't realize the burning feeling could be that...thanks!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Jayden on November 10th, 2014, 6:54 pm

I got an EnT appointment this week,because off ,my tongue,voice and some breathing issues.
Btw i have pain in my tongue and throat. Wicked twitching on neck.
Jayden

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management