Thenar Muscle Twitches

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Thenar Muscle Twitches

Postby reanne2489 on October 28th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Hey all,

I just wanted to ask how common this type of twitching is with BFS? I keep trying to tell myself these new random twitches are more symptomatic of BFS than ALS, but I always struggle to deal. It's been a week now since this twitching began and after the trailer for "Youre not you" aired and the actress showed twitching in this area as the beginning of her MND it freaked me out.

Thanks
reanne2489

Re: Thenar Muscle Twitches

Postby guitarguy11 on October 29th, 2014, 8:41 am

My symptoms started with a eyelid twitch, then went to my left thenar muscle and then all over. First, my neuro was not overly excited or concerned about my twitching, but did an EMG of my left hand and arm after 6 or 7 weeks of twitching. It was fine. So, just because you are twitching there, does not mean anything. I have read that BFS is pretty common in that spot actually. My neuro really got on me about Dr. Google. So, one of the things I have learned with all of this is to not read too much into what has happened to other people. Fact is, if you search hard enough you can find all kinds of symptoms, whether it is for cancer, heart issues, *** or something else, that other people have had that you have too. Just because you have a symptom does not mean you have the disease. Another fact is that all of us will die one day. Worrying does not change this...in fact it actually shortens your time on Earth. I hate to be blunt, but facing your fears and dealing with them goes a long way to helping you with your symptoms and with life in general. I know this is easier said than done, but if you work at it one moment at a time, then one hour at a time, then one day at a time, it all gets easier. Finally, I thought you had an EMG? You have to trust your doctors, too. I wish the best for you and for all of the folks on this forum.
guitarguy11

Postby Xina535 on October 29th, 2014, 9:12 am

we talked about that Trailer briefly on here in the Off-Topic Lounge and it freaked me out too! When thinking about it while not in Panic mode, it's pretty unrealistic and very dramatic, how they depict ALS starting, atleast from the Trailer. who knows, in the movie, she may already had other symptoms Prior to that Scene. I've watched that over and over again and it also seems like she has atrophy in the thenar, it Looks a bit deformed while it is twitching. anyway, I get These twitches all the time. both Hands. just like I get twitches in my face, arms, back, thighs, etc.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby J4son on October 29th, 2014, 12:01 pm

A movie even if it tells a true story does not necessarily stick in every detail with the truth. For example, I watched the movie Hawking. A great movie by the way (I watched it twice) about the life of U.K cosmologist Stephen Hawking. In the movie Stephen Hawking's first sign of MND was when lying down on his back in his home’s garden with his girlfriend, he found himself unable to get up. However, In the reality his first signs of MND were clumsiness, falls and difficulties when rowing during his final year in Oxford. A movie is just a movie; it’s not a medical record.
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby reanne2489 on October 30th, 2014, 5:06 am

Yea i hope it's ok as it's both thmub's thenar muscles twitching, and the fact my leg has calmed down somewhat makes me feel like this is more benign. I just get worried when i actually see the muscle pulsating. It also feels like it's about to spasm whenever i flex my thumb or grip anything. :?
reanne2489

Postby Xina535 on October 30th, 2014, 5:28 am

The "about to cramp" is very common for many of us. I've had it. people with BFS even get cramps, and it's called BFCS or something, to include the word "cramp" in there. Also mentioned on here a bit. I can see all my twitches, in both my thenar muscles. Been twitching there (and everywhere) since July 2013.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby reanne2489 on November 4th, 2014, 3:28 am

It's bizarre- today and yesterday, the twitch in my right thenar muscle has been so strong my entire thumb jerks with it. Is this normal for the thenar twitch to be so powerful with benign twitching?

Thanks
reanne2489

Postby guitarguy11 on November 4th, 2014, 8:24 am

Yes. Very normal.
guitarguy11

Postby Xina535 on November 4th, 2014, 9:30 am

yes, normal. I've had the same thing happen in my thenar and other muscles in my hand move my index and other fingers. Same thing in my feet (moves my big toe).

I read on here and in other places that people with ALS don't usually notice their twitching, because it is so fine. Reason for it being so fine and unnoticeable is because as the connection between the nerve and muscle dies, so does the "energy" or "power" so it can't really be a powerful twitch. I am not sure if that is every case (most likely not), but maybe the case in general.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on November 4th, 2014, 4:27 pm

I am the self-proclaimed queen of thenar muscle twitching. About a year and half ago I had a hotspot there on my left hand for about 3 months (yes, continuously, and yes, I was sure I was going to die) and lo and behold, I am still here. It stopped twitching, but if I hit it hard, then it will twitch again because of hyper excitable nerves, which also doesn't always mean certain death in our case. No worries!
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS