Is this tongue atrophy? Picture. Seeking opinions

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Is this tongue atrophy? Picture. Seeking opinions

Postby Xina535 on November 3rd, 2014, 1:51 am

Hello, for those brave souls on here, I'd like to ask if you can look at my tongue and let me know if you know what these grooves/waves are on each side.

I never looked at my tongue before, until yesterday because I've been dealing with extra saliva collecting at the corners of my mouth, constantly, for about 2 weeks. Right when I wipe, it collects again. Been trying to convince myself it has to do with stomach issues.

But I went a little nuts after seeing these waves on the sides of my tongue yesterday. My husband's isn't like this, his is pretty round.

Then last night, my father told me I was speaking weird because he thought I had a few beers at a concert, but I only had one, several hours earlier.

That put me over the edge and now I'd like to ask if this looks normal to you, or what?!

https://roxythegray.files.wordpress.com ... /image.jpg

Thanks
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Is this tongue atrophy? Picture. Seeking opinions

Postby LKP1231 on November 3rd, 2014, 8:59 am

Mine looks the same and it didn't up
Until recently. I think I've been clenching my teeth and I also think my tongue is dry from meds I'm taking.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby guitarguy11 on November 3rd, 2014, 9:02 am

My tongue looks exactly like this. And I don't have your tongue symptoms. My tongue has always looked like this. It is not unusual to have a not-perfectly-round tongue. Until a few weeks ago, I was seeing a traditional Chinese trained acupuncturist (which I recommend by the way. I will go back again if I think my symptoms start coming back significantly). Traditional acupuncture looks a lot at tongue health. She always checked mine. She did not like the color of it (which your color is fine BTW) but she never commented on the shape. I asked her in my first session about my odd shape and divots, because I have always known it looked a little funny to me (but believe it or not, never worried about it - have found plenty of other things to worry about :o ), she said perfectly normal and that there is a lot of variation in normal shaped tongues. She was more concerned with the color. I really think you need to do everything you can to stop worrying. Stress and anxiety can cause all of your symptoms.
guitarguy11

Postby Xina535 on November 3rd, 2014, 9:15 am

thank you both for looking and your feedback. I tried to google "healthy human tounge" pictures and information and kept seeing round tongues, so I immediately stopped and didn't want to panic if I found information or pictures of atrophy or whatnot. German2 PMed me and said she gets this too, from when the tongue presses against the teeth. I never knew that could happen.

It makes me feel a LOAD better that others have this.

You can probably imagine...I've been having excess saliva, my dad tells me I am slurring and then I see my tounge looking like that (the first time) = Freak Out!

As far as anxiety goes...I am kind of in a tough spot. I stopped my anti-anxiety med. that keeps me stable beginning of Oct. I think you all may have noticied I've been kind of nuts lately (and I thank you for putting up with it)...I stopped because I read pharmacological reports of what is actually in Opipramol and how dangerous of a chemical it is. I had been taking it for over a year. My therapist who prescribed it wants me to try to go without it if I can before she gives me something else. In the meantime, I've been going to other sources like lavendar pills, and very small amounts of "green stuff" (bought legally), progressive muscle relaxation to take my edge off. I am on a 3 month waiting list to see a new psychologist. I do have Lorazepam for emergencies. I also got my doctor to agree to give me a referral to an ENT. Need to see what he/she says about these bad gastritis/GERD type of symptoms I'm having.

I also thought of teeth grinding. My dentist told me once it looked like I was grinding and said she would recommend a protector to wear at night. I declined at the time but may need to go back to her and get that.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Pascal35 on November 3rd, 2014, 3:53 pm

Xina,

It looks pretty normal to me!
As for the slurring don't get to that route. I did that too at times! My wife yesterday was talking quite slow and funny and she only had 2 gin tonic.
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on November 3rd, 2014, 5:01 pm

Thank you for looking and your opinion. I've decided to stop drinking because I do to want to slur. Well for the most part. I am so scared of slurring, so much that I'm keeping quiet. But then I get moments of big confidence and talk with real certainty. I feel like I have a split personality.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby d4twitch on November 3rd, 2014, 9:38 pm

My tongue looks exactly like your tongue, slight crack in the middle included :P. I'm pretty sure the crack formed from stress. My tongue quivers pretty much nonstop too.
d4twitch

Postby Xina535 on November 4th, 2014, 9:35 am

d4twitch wrote:My tongue looks exactly like your tongue, slight crack in the middle included :P. I'm pretty sure the crack formed from stress. My tongue quivers pretty much nonstop too.

Tongue twins! :P :P
Except, mine does not quiver. I'm just salivating more than usual right now.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on November 4th, 2014, 9:40 am

Hi Xina,

My hypersalivation continues too. But for those concerned about tongues, I found this very interesting:
http://www.prana.com/life/2014/10/27/ay ... ys-health/
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on November 4th, 2014, 9:54 am

very cool! thanks!

It mentions the teeth imprints and trembling in detail:

Teeth imprints. Teeth imprints around the contour of the tongue can mean malabsorption of nutrients, inflammation, or too much salt in the diet. If your tongue has teeth imprints, your digestive system is not very happy. Most likely it is overloaded and weak. To stimulate digestion in a natural healthy way, add fresh ginger tea, avoid iced drinks, and start paying attention to food combining, which we will discuss later in the book.

Trembling tongue. This is a sign of anxiety or fear. We live in such a high-stress society that anxiety can crawl over you without you even being aware of it. It might even be your permanent state and you are so used to it that you can’t tell the difference. Time to take a break from caffeine, have some chamomile tea, and nourish your nervous system with warm and easy-to-digest light soups.

Just so happens, I do have GI/stomach issues and am going to an ENT soon.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on November 4th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Or you could just have a naturally bigger tongue.

My tongue is thicker than normal and I have teeth imprints on the side, whenever I am going through my "high anxiety" phase, all I see is a scalloped tongue.

However, my tongue has always been this way, my fathers is the same, so I don't normally worry about it.

Teeth imprints on the tongue are quite common.

Now if you never had them before and they just appeared over time, it would indicate an issue as mentioned above, but if its always been there and you are just now noticing it, it isn't indicative of anything sinister.

Do you snore by chance ? I do and I have obstructive sleep apnea, and people with OSA usually have bigger tongues with teeth imprints.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on November 4th, 2014, 5:20 pm

I have no idea how my tongue usually/normally looked before...??

I don't snore, actually am a very silent sleeper. My husband thinks I'm dead sometimes. He on the other hand....lol!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on November 4th, 2014, 5:25 pm

I used to snore constantly, my husband always woke me up make me quiet! Since this twitching and all started. I stopped snoring. I wish that was my problem again :(
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby guitarguy11 on November 4th, 2014, 9:31 pm

I never noticed this until tonight - the divots in my tongue do match up perfectly to where my tongue rests against my bottom teeth. Fascinating. I also had this funny thought of all of us around the world staring at our tongues in the mirror! :D Good thing mirrors can't talk!
guitarguy11

Postby Xina535 on November 5th, 2014, 7:45 am

guitarguy11 wrote:I never noticed this until tonight - the divots in my tongue do match up perfectly to where my tongue rests against my bottom teeth. Fascinating. I also had this funny thought of all of us around the world staring at our tongues in the mirror! :D Good thing mirrors can't talk!

I know - kinda funny! But I am actually happy that I looked at my tongue and know what it looks like now! My husband was like ,"we should take a picture of all of your body parts, so that you can have something to compare it to when you go nuts over something looking weird. We should, um, use my phone camera for this." (meaning, so he can have all of these nude pictures of me for himself). And I said, "yea, yea, nice try!" But ....when I think about it, and knowing my mind and my panic, it may not be a bad idea to have these pictures. LOL!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group