Throat, neck

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Throat, neck

Postby misterjuanperalta on October 28th, 2014, 7:36 am

The latest symptom is neck, throat twitching that sometimes interferes with speech. Anyone have this too?
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Re: Throat, neck

Postby physerv24 on October 28th, 2014, 10:57 am

Yes I do. Been bothering me a lot lately. I'm going to my ENT tomorrow for him to check out my soft palate. I don't have problems eating, chewing or swallowing. I just have lots of phlem build-up causing me to clear my throat constantly and sometimes in mid sentence my speech is messed up because of what feels like a spasm or throat twitch. I'll let you know what the ENT says.
physerv24

Postby misterjuanperalta on October 28th, 2014, 11:24 am

I'm hoping it's a benign Cricopharyngeal spasm.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 30th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Hi , please do post what the ENT says, I have similar symptoms and am thinking about visiting an ENT. Lots of pflem , constant swallowing, and more...and good luck at the appt!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on October 30th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Soft palate spasm...is what I was PM'd
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 31st, 2014, 3:04 am

I see. Did the ENT say anything about the cause, or treatments?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on October 31st, 2014, 7:15 am

Not disclosed. I didn't see an ENT about this.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby physerv24 on October 31st, 2014, 7:37 am

ENT did a scope through my nose. I have a pretty severe deviated septum. Only getting about 10% airflow through the left side of my nose. This causes me to breath through my mouth a lot, especially at night. In addition, I have reflux and have been on proton pump inhibitors for more than 12 years. He says likely I have LPR which also increases the amount of mucus. Having as many muscle twitches as I do, he said he wasn't surprised for me to also have twitches in my throat. I am scheduled to have septoplasty (septum straightening) surgery on the 14th of November. He feels opening up my airways will allow mucus to drain the way it is supposed to do.

Constant throat clearing and swallowing irritates the throat, makes thing swell, makes things irritated, makes more mucus, etc. One thing leads to another, then to another and on and on and on. This stuff is no fun.
physerv24

Postby Xina535 on October 31st, 2014, 10:26 am

sorry to hear, but all the best with the procedure!

I need to see an ENT. I've had chest pain, these intense, painful random hiccups (a big ONE hiccup), bad post nasal drip (taking mucus thinners for it). Many people on here have mentioned GERD to me a lot. I was diagnosed with "gastritis" before, attributed to taking too many ibuprofen for leg pain I had. Although, I never had any sort of test to diagnose me with gastritis. Been taking Omeprazol and Malox for a long time, and this stuff is still happening, since April. My doctor is a very homeopathic person and is having me take probiotics (very expensive, self pay to buy them) and I think it's time for a 2nd opinion.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Jayden on November 1st, 2014, 8:18 am

I have this, with some voice hoarsening ,its like my neck and throat is always vivrating ,its scary.
Neuro refered me to ENT,how you get diagnosed?
Jayden

Postby physerv24 on November 1st, 2014, 10:10 am

The ENT did a scope. They run a very small tube with a camera and light on the end through your nose and down into your throat. Gives them a clear picture of your soft palate, vocal chords and other throat muscles. The have you swallow and speak while the camera is in there to see that everything is working right. The procedure will also show the doc whether you have any tumors/lesions that might cause swallowing or speech issues.
physerv24

Postby Jayden on November 6th, 2014, 10:57 am

It's been bothering me a lot, Twitching in my neck, throat, voice and swallowing are acting up.
and pain.
Jayden

Postby Jayden on November 23rd, 2014, 5:29 pm

Any news on these? Do I mention the twitching to ENT or let him figure out what's wrong?
Jayden

Postby physerv24 on November 24th, 2014, 8:32 am

Jayden,

Of course you should tell the ENT about your throat twitches. When he examines you, he can have a look to see if he can confirm these. But I will tell you that many people have had these type twitches. Remember, you can chew and swallow WITHOUT choking. You just "feel" strange when doing so and your tongue "feels" strange in your mouth. Do you have periods where you "feel" you slur your words? Or are people actually asking you to repeat yourself? This BFS means that our nerves are in a state of hyperexcitability. That means they are causing our muscles to fire involuntarily. Yes, some people are limited to legs and feet, however there are many of us who experience them body-wide. If it's a muscle, it can twitch. Think about this, when you suffer from extreme anxiety, your whole body is constantly tense, when muscles are tense for an extended period of time, they will not work like they are supposed to. When the muscles in your jaw or other muscles in your face; for example you lips are in a constant state of being tense, you will "occasionally" stumble over certain words. Also for our entire lives, until this crap syndrome took hold of us, we never gave a second thought about our speech. When we wanted to talk we just did. When you are constantly wondering if the next words out of your mouth are going to be pronounced right, 9 times out of 10 they will not be pronounced right because you are hyper-aware.

I think you are fine, but keep your ENT appointment. I'm still recovering from septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery. Its been pretty uncomfortable but it has provided a distraction from all my other symptoms :D
physerv24

Postby LKP1231 on November 24th, 2014, 9:25 am

Totally agree with physerv, Jayden
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Experiences with BFS