Be happy with your clean emgs!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Be happy with your clean emgs!

Postby LKP1231 on October 27th, 2014, 4:15 pm

So many of you all get a clean emg and still think you have ***. You do not! Your emg would not be clean in all limbs if you had it. I wish mine was clean. My neuros are still maintaining it's from herniated discs etc but it's still not 100% clear. It's still only been 2.5 months so having no physical symptoms other than twitching and fatigue doesn't clear me. I wished for a clean emg. Please, if you've had one, go enjoy your life. You're cleared. You're lucky!
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Re: Be happy with your clean emgs!

Postby SecretAgentMan on October 27th, 2014, 4:35 pm

So, I realize this is a post meant to encourage those who do have a positive emg, but I want to offer my own perspective. This perspective is meant to benefit everyone, including you LKP1231... Happiness is independent of anything material in this world, even our own physical health. Some of the richest, healthiest people in the world are miserable. Happiness comes from within. Placing conditions on our happiness only limits us. If I have a clean emg I will be happy. If I have a twitch free night I will be happy. If I have a new car I will be happy. If I have more money I will be happy. All of these things are out of our control and therefore can set us up for disappointment. And for what? We can always come up with things we think will make us happy, but in the end it is we who decide our level of happiness. So why put conditions on that happiness that then allows it to be taken away? There are few if any circumstances that can be viewed as negative from all angles. There is always an angle that paints said circumstance in a positive light. Learn to adapt your perspective to arrive at happiness no matter what. Not only do you live a happier life, but like so many studies have shown your health and livelihood are enhanced by your achieved happiness. Funny how things work like that? :)
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on October 29th, 2014, 7:57 am

Thank you for the good advice. I'm just having trouble understanding people who have zero findings on their emgs and don't seem happy.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby misterjuanperalta on October 29th, 2014, 8:37 am

Uncertainty and variability are why people don't accept a clean EMG. I don't get too much confidence from doctors, but I go to them because there aren't many other options, aside from futile ones. You're fine LPK.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 29th, 2014, 9:07 am

Being flat out honest here. I can't be happy because my EMG was done only in my calf and upper arm on my left side, while I was having more issues with my right side. I read a lot about how the EMG placing is important and how people disagree that it does not matter where the EMG is done, if it is done in your left toe, it would pick up signals in your right hand. Seen different opinions on that. I have an appt with my neuro for another one in Dec. to get more muscles in different areas checked and then I am hoping that will round this out for me. It just makes me uneasy that only two muscles were checked, on one side, and not on my worst side. I would imagine if I had a thorough EMG, like some people on here where they tested many muscle groups in several areas and it was clean, then I would be comforted and put more at ease.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on October 29th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Xina535 wrote:Being flat out honest here. I can't be happy because my EMG was done only in my calf and upper arm on my left side, while I was having more issues with my right side.

This is just my 2 cents, so take it for what it is worth. Perhaps try to recognize the choice you are making here. You have done a very good job at rationalizing and explaining why you are choosing to remain unhappy, uncertain, and fearful. Take a step back and look at the bigger picture though. Not the bigger picture of what you think is wrong, but the bigger picture of what is going on in your mind. You are in rational thinking mode. Your state of fear is causing your rational logical mind to seek out the reasons for why you are uncertain and fearful. It is logical to connect the dots for where the emg was conducted and so on and so forth. Our minds are meaning-making machines. Even if you had your emg in the location of your highest activity, you would still be making logical rational reasons up as to why you still have doubt and fear. This gives the feeling a meaning and a sense of purpose. But what if it is the feeling that is driving the worrying and the worrying is reinforcing the feeling? It's a cycle!

In order to escape a cycle you need to understand how the mind works and why, so that you can take effective action to change it. Otherwise you are just a dog chasing its tail. Unless you make a conscious decision to make a different action, the cycle will continue to play out as it always had. Things work the way they do for a reason.

You CAN be happy because you are capable of empowering yourself. You CAN be happy because it is the perspective that you choose that determines this.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on October 29th, 2014, 4:41 pm

In my case I need to get over the envy of everyone getting good results and mine not so good.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby physerv24 on October 29th, 2014, 5:55 pm

You aren't alone with your bad EMG LPK, mine wasn't clean either. Yes, it would be nice if we would have gotten the all clear but it is what it is. Many people say we just have to get over our fear, and make the decision to try to be positive and accept what we've been told. No doubt they are right, however being in the position we are in, especially since we are only at around 6 months into this, we are left with the agonizing "wait and see if anything progresses". To the veterans - it's probably wishing my life away but I can't wait to be able to label myself as a "veteran". Your words are encouraging and needed, however please remember how you were at the stage us newbies are at now. We probably frustrate you with our seemingly endless worry, but as it goes with this condition; we are reminded every single day that something is amiss. We read your posts and are encouraged, but within minutes our bodies make our minds start to question, and vice-versa. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
physerv24

Postby LKP1231 on October 29th, 2014, 6:39 pm

I'm less than 3 months in. Very scary.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby SecretAgentMan on October 29th, 2014, 9:24 pm

physerv24 wrote:You aren't alone with your bad EMG LPK, mine wasn't clean either. Yes, it would be nice if we would have gotten the all clear but it is what it is. Many people say we just have to get over our fear, and make the decision to try to be positive and accept what we've been told. No doubt they are right, however being in the position we are in, especially since we are only at around 6 months into this, we are left with the agonizing "wait and see if anything progresses". To the veterans - it's probably wishing my life away but I can't wait to be able to label myself as a "veteran". Your words are encouraging and needed, however please remember how you were at the stage us newbies are at now. We probably frustrate you with our seemingly endless worry, but as it goes with this condition; we are reminded every single day that something is amiss. We read your posts and are encouraged, but within minutes our bodies make our minds start to question, and vice-versa. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Please don't think I'm frustrated with anyone here. If I were I wouldn't be here. :) Also please don't think I'm judging anyone for being in fear mode. The very reason I am here is exactly because I was where you are and I too have said that I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Many times actually. Lastly, please don't think I am trying to talk down to anyone or tell them what to do. I come to share what my experiences have taught me in case they might benefit anyone else willing to listen. That is all.

For those people who come here overwhelmed, I want to remind them to think in baby steps. For those who come here unhappy, I want to remind them that this is only a matter of perspective that they have control over. For those who come here feeling like victims, I want to remind them that self-empowerment will turn the tables on where they go from here. For those who come here fearful, I want to remind them that there are tools and techniques that they can learn to do themselves to break the cycles of negativity that feed their fears. All of these things are possible but it is up to each individual to take the steps necessary to empower themselves and change their life for the better. Nobody here can reassure you out of a cycle of fear. Cycles repeat. One more clean emg, one more month without progression, one more strength test, one more reassuring post... The mind of a person in a fear cycle will always be looking for one more sign. "Just one more this or that, then I'll feel better. Oh, another symptom... I need another sign that I'm OK!" I know because I've been there. The only way to break a cycle like that is to decide that you're done with it and know that you are fine without the next sign. Sounds crazy from where you are right now I bet, but that's what it takes. Again, there are tools and techniques that help this process along. Hypnosis, meditation, and others. Use the power of your mind for a positive goal rather than letting it run a muck against you, because that is what it is doing unchecked.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 30th, 2014, 5:03 am

Secretagentman,

I appreciate your reminders. I always refer to baby steps. I just want to mention that although this is correct:

You have the power to choose. Empower yourself to overcome your fear or remain in a cycle of fear, worry, and anxiety.

everyone is different in finding their ability to tap into that power. Some people find it easier than others, others will never find it, others will take a very long time, and will require many different paths to try before getting to the pot of gold in the center of the forest. I've personally tried many many things. All of that trying takes courage, time, effort, MONEY, dedication, support/encouragement, professional help, and more. I wish it was just that easy to take a pill or make a simple decision (at least for me).

We do need someone like you on here, to keep reminding us, providing the different perspective, all part of the support/encouragement we seek and need. Thank you!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on October 30th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Thank you for the kind words. I hope people don't think I am trying to say it is easy. I am only saying it is achievable and worthy of the effort necessary. People will have difficulty. People will make mistakes. People will have setbacks. Each learned lesson will provide valuable experience though. Each day into the effort will be one day closer to the accomplishment. Just remember that in order to accomplish something a goal must be sought. Learning what you need doesn't require money though. Most importantly it requires time, effort, and resourcefulness. The Internet has a wealth of knowledge on tapping into your own mind. You own all you need because it is you!
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group