New twitch and drooling symptom scare, can't sleep

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New twitch and drooling symptom scare, can't sleep

Postby Xina535 on October 28th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Hi everyone, in the past days I've been having wet corners of my mouth and I've been drying them with my fingers constantly. When I go to dry them, there is saliva there. It's been happening more and more. I haven't posted about it because I thought it would go away, but it's not. And now I have a new twitch spot, it woke me up here in the middle of the night, big twitches in my upper cheek line/jaw. Big twitches to where I am thinking I can't go to work with this happening, can see it happening. New spot, haven't had this before.

Now I'm scared again, can't sleep, have a million questions.

I can swallow and talk fine. In MND, if drooling starts, I thought it happens as a 2nd effect of not being able to swallow or use the tounge properly, that it happens in a later stage. Like I would have noticeable changes in slurring and swallowing first. Is that right, or can drooling start first?

Anyone else have this? I searched for corner of mouth on here and it was mainly people writing how they twitched in the corners. I am. It twitching there or in my tounge.

It's like a constant thing now, me checking and wiping my lips, and there is saliva there each time. What could be causing this to happen?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: New twitch and drooling symptom scare, can't sleep

Postby Yuliasir on October 28th, 2014, 11:28 pm

just a slight hypersalivation, Xina. I have this sometimes for a few days in a row. Hypersalivation may happen for many reasons, and as it is regulaed by autonomous system, it is another sign of some disturbances in autonomous system operation we all experience. Wet mouth corners are not drooling yet :)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 28th, 2014, 11:39 pm

Thank you. Hypersalivation, hadn't heard this before.
Is this a side effect of BFS or anxiety?

You mentioned it is not drooling yet....the "yet" makes me a little nervous. :oops: Is it then bad if saliva leaks out/down? In sinister stuff, would there be other noticeable symptoms along with it or could it happen alone? How long can someone have this before they tell a doctor?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby guitarguy11 on October 29th, 2014, 3:01 pm

The mind is a powerful thing. I believe strongly that anxiety can explain your symptoms. When I read your post and even as I am typing this, as I think about salivating, I start to salivate! Talk about Pavlov's dog! Anyway, what you are doing to yourself is what I call "hyper awareness." When you become aware of something, the more you focus on it, the more it tends to happen or the more you notice it. This can be true of other things in life too - not just health or body related. I truly believe that if you calm your fears, you will start to feel better. I fear for you or any of us if you (we) cannot calm your (our) fears. There are lots of stories on this forum of people that have destroyed their lives because they could not get calm and face their fears. Seeing stories like that made me face mine and I am slowly getting better. I am also realizing that if by some chance I have something sinister that they have not found yet, that there is nothing I can do about it and either way I have to move on. I don't know if this is helping you (I hope it is) but I think your fear and hyper awareness are driving your symptoms just like they were mine.
guitarguy11

Postby LKP1231 on October 29th, 2014, 3:18 pm

I agree with guitar guy. My tongue just started feeling weird the other day. I wasn't sure if it was vibrating. Since then it feels wide and dry but I feel like I'm swallowing a lot. I can see marks on the side now. So now I'm wondering if I'm swallowing wrong so I keep swallowing! I'm not choking or having any trouble actually swallowing but it's hard not to focus on it.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on October 29th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Xina,
'yet' is a very powerful word. Perceived weakness is not a real weakness yet. Which does not mean it will necessarily evolve into real one. Wet mouth corners are yet not a drooling and harldy it will evolve into it. That is what i meant
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 30th, 2014, 5:22 am

Thank you everyone. I really do believe in psychosomatic stuff, and was diagnosed with this syndrome. I may be headed for a check in at a psychosomatic clinic, as far as the insurance and missed work stuff is worked out. LKP - I've done the exact same thing a few months ago with swallowing! And, for the record, I am a million times better than the first 6 months of twitching. I had constant panic attacks then.

However, it was my husband who saw me clear my corners often and I didn't notice it. After noticing, I didn't care at first. I thought it'll just be temporary. I've been dealing with it for about 1.5 weeks....not long, could still be temporary. Last night, in my sleep, I drooled. I woke up with white lines. Never happened to me before. Usually those marks on my husband's face and pillow since he snores. :wink:

He and I talked about it and it just so happens that within these two weeks, I did start taking the following:

- 600 mg of Acetylcysteine for bad post nasal drip - helps thin out mucus (guess what, the issues with my throat got better!)
- probiotics in the form of drops and powders (daily) - prescribed by my doctor to help get my stomach back in balance
- another plant-based "med" for upset stomach, 3 pills, 3 times a day (MYRRHINIL-INTEST, also from my doctor for stomach issues)

- AND I'll just admit, I've been dabbling in smoking....the green stuff....which I purchased legally in a nearby place. I never smoke, and can't even do it right. Bad inhaler. And the stuff that was legally sold also mixes in tabacco, something I am also not used to. I've tried it a few times in the last 2 weeks, because it calms me down and helps me sleep, and because I've stopped Opipramol (chemical anti-anxiety drug). I did talk to my therapist about stopping my med and start smoking and she said to be careful not to do it so much because tolerance can build up and I will need and want more to reach "calm", and then taking more in can later worsen depression. I knew all of that already, and I don't plan on more than where I am at now.

So with all of that, plus stopping of anti-anxiety drugs, may have something to do with this excess saliva? I am not slurring or otherwise have swallowing problems (that I've noticed anyway).

PS - that new, big thumper cheek twitch is gone. Happened all day yesterday, let up at night, and is gone today. Psssss, typical. :roll:
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on October 30th, 2014, 7:00 am

Xina, I m drooling at sleep perhaps once per week or two. it is just common thing.
Do you take any specific meds which may have hypersalivation as side effects? somer of them could increase salivation, epsecially those used for mood correction.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on October 30th, 2014, 8:07 am

I used to drool in my sleep all the time. Now it seems I'm clenching my teeth and swallowing a lot. I think the drooling was better. My tongue looked normal then too
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Xina535 on October 30th, 2014, 12:49 pm

The probiotic and stomach stuff does not have any side effects listed, since it is plant based stuff. The acytlstein (sp?) does not list excess salivation as a side effect, but, it does thin out mucus. Then I talked to a friend of mine who does smoke a lot and he said maybe since the green stuff causes a dry mouth after smoking, that when not smoking, my glands get overactive or they are over stimulated. Especially since I am not at all used to inhaling anything. That was his theory.

Otherwise I am not taking anything else than what I mentioned. I stopped all anti-anxiety meds. I took way too many when I was flying all around the US and then the one I used to take daily (Opipramol)...I stopped it because I read up on the chemical and how dangerous it is and so I wanted to just stop. Plus I was not comfortable with taking a medication without getting any pyschotherapy help in conjunction. I am on a several month waiting list to see someone new.

About drooling at night, I never used to do that but I will see if I do it more.
And about clenching - I always wanted to know how does someone know that they do this? My dentist suspected me (actually at every check up) that I clench my teeth when I sleep. I can't tell though. I thought that maybe that crazy twitch in my face came from clenching in my sleep too hard, but no way to know.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on October 30th, 2014, 2:51 pm

I have been having hypersalivation for weeks now. No trouble swallowing, but really get "the squirts." I have looked into this and this and can't figure it out -- it would be either a. heavy metals which I've not been tested for but maybe that would explain a lot of things...cold hands etc...or b. hypoparathyroid, which is extremely rare unless destroyed or damaged by surgery or radiation. It also could explain a lot of things. Apparently there can be an auroimmune problem which attacks the parathyroid, but again, extremely rare like 1% of those with hypoparathyroid, the other 99% are a result of surgery accident, so you can imagine how rare this is. It is puzzling, for sure. But, you are not the only one with this. I have posted much a bout it lately so maybe this is the subconscious working. Also, I'm more aware of it. It comes and goes and I also have intermittent dry mouth so maybe this overcompensation theory of your friend's is correct. Who knows. I give up.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 30th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Yea. It's exhausting trying to track down symptoms and effects and syndromes...

I did google withdrawal effects of anti anxiety meds and the word "saliva"....several results showing "drooling, dribbling, excess saliva" . I did not click on the articles to read but in the google search result descriptions, I saw lots of association between withdrawal and excess saliva. I did stop Opipramol completely at the beginning of Oct, after taking it for over a year ....and this stuff started happening with wet mouth 1.5 weeks ago...hmmm?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on October 31st, 2014, 2:17 am

Xina, I am taking a SSRI with the side effect of extremely dry mouth. I can imagine that withdrawing it can cause strong salvation...
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 31st, 2014, 10:23 am

ok, well then I hope that's it. I wonder how long this will last for. Had it every day now almost 2 weeks. All day long, no "dry" periods.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on November 2nd, 2014, 2:54 am

Hello everyone.... I am very scared about this. When I clear the corners, the saliva comes right back. I am confused because I do not feel like I can't swallow. I feel like I can collect the saliva and fluids in my mouth and swallow them ok. Why this constant collection of water in the corners?!?!

I read that hyper salivation can be either an increase of production OR due to not being able to keep saliva in mouth. I hate how every symptom I've had recently has *** or a serious nerve disorder as a possible cause.

How do I know for sure that this is being caused by overproduction? Like would I definitely know that I am not able to keep the saliva down if it were the case?

Reallllly scared! When would I need to go to a doctor?

At a party last night, I had my hands on my mouth the whole night. A friend asked me about it... :cry:
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group