Scared and nervous

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Scared and nervous

Postby dolphin8808 on October 26th, 2014, 5:33 am

4 weeks before my EMG, hyper reflexes and twitching, mostly below the waste but def some wide spread. No weakness except in 1 hip flexor (the side I herniated the disc on and the side my scoliosis effects the most, no surprise there). Anxiety from this is sooooo high tonight and most nights. I start to doze and my whole body jolts me awake. I start to doze and i feel the twitching in my legs and I am awake. I start to doze and I am jolted awake again by a whole body jump. I test my own reflexes at home and see how high my foot will come and it freaks me out.

This is scary stuff. And how to live like normal the next few weeks, I don't know! So sacred not only of ALS but also of MS. Or what if it's something else going on in my body, something sinister. Why now?

Thanks for listening, I know you all can relate...... :cry:
dolphin8808

Re: Scared and nervous

Postby Yuliasir on October 26th, 2014, 7:12 am

First of all - do not test your reflexes by yourself. Brain will do quite a bias for sure :) this test is to be done by other person :) You can not tickle yourself (which is a reflex too) - about the same is with other reflexes :) selfetsing always brings some bias.
Second - having jolts and kicks when going asleep is in fact part of normal sleeping process, just we may be really getting awake by this process. So try some mildest sleep aids - valeriana if you are not allergic or even a glass of warm milk (really helps). Even if you got the jerk, tell yourself - o, sleeping jerk, good sign - I am going asleep - and have your good sleep then.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby dolphin8808 on October 26th, 2014, 7:22 am

Thank you so much! I noticed a huge increase in them when I am Having high anxiety. They really flare up at that point! And I guess with the neurologist saying I have hyper reflexes that freaked me out a bit as well, so of course I googled that along with the twitching and get a bunch of things including the bad stuff. He did say because it's on both sides it's not nearly as concerning and it's only in my knees so he thinks it could be from a back injury. I'm not sure I have nothing to compare it to but I dwell on it focus on it and now totally freaked out about it.
dolphin8808

Postby Yuliasir on October 26th, 2014, 8:39 am

if you search the site, you'll see a whole bunch of fellows with hyperreflexia (brisk reflexes). whihc is 100 % common for anxious people/ And yes night jerks are increased when anxiety is ramping up.

it is very very common here :)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on October 26th, 2014, 9:27 am

dolphin8808 wrote: I noticed a huge increase in them when I am Having high anxiety. They really flare up at that point!

This. This is your biggest clue that your body is reacting to your state of mind and state of being. Not because you have contracted some rare illness. Study after study after study links illness and disease to stress and anxiety. The neurological symptoms seem to be lesser understood by mainstream medicine, but the correlation is prevalent, especially in the sample population of this forum.

My advice is to make a conscious decision to shift your focus and attention from pointless worrying to researching how the mind works and how your mind works. You already have observed the correlation. Increased anxiety and stress yields increased symptoms. So are you just going to keep doing the same things that got you into this mess by continually worrying and self testing? Or are you going to do a reality/sanity check and take what you have learned already and use it to help yourself? So you don't know how to get to that better place from where you are now yet. None of us did in the beginning. You have hints at what your next step should be though don't you? You see the relationship your thoughts and attitude have on your physical symptoms. Do you think it might be beneficial to use this information to your advantage? Learn how the mind works. Learn how your mind works. There are methods for moving past fear and escaping the vicious cycles of anxiety. Learn about them. Meditation and hypnosis are two that I benefited from. Those are not the only two though. There is an entire world out there full of opportunities and different ways of doing things. People in far worse situations have learned how to turn their attitudes around and their lives around. You can do the same. It takes effort on your part though. It takes a commitment followed through with action. Nobody here can do the work for you, but we will support you. Spend your time online researching the vast depths and potential of the mind rather than what disease looks like what. Inspire yourself rather than frighten yourself. Empower yourself rather than limit yourself. Learn the tools that will allow you to do this. Practice them, use them, and embody the mindset that optimizes them. There is no magic pill or one and done treatment. It is a life changing experience, but an immensely positive one. We always have a choice. All it takes is your follow through and commitment. You can do it!
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby dolphin8808 on October 26th, 2014, 9:55 am

Wow thank you both so much!

I was thinking that I really need to get back to my psychiatrist and therapist. I need to get back to my meditation and get my metal state back where it need to be. I work out a lot so physical activity isn't an issue, it's my metal that suffers so much.
dolphin8808

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group