Panicking Again

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Panicking Again

Postby reanne2489 on October 24th, 2014, 4:48 am

Hi all,

As many of you know, I have been twitching since the beginning of September. It is constant in my left leg and occurs sporadically in my right leg, abdomen, shoulders, biceps and left eye.

I had a lumbar MRI = Clean and had an EMG in my left calf only after about 4 1/2 weeks of twitching which also came back clean, just with a sensory abnormality. I don't have any clinical weakness, just some perceived weakness- if I stand on my tip toes on each individual foot I am much less steady on my left leg and feel the strain on my left foot much more.

I am just soooo worried still because of the amount of pain I experience in my knee, left calf and arch of my left foot. I have already mentioned that my left leg is thinner than the right- especially noticeable at the knee and around the top of the thigh. I have also noticed that the arch of my left foot, where the pain is, is more inwardly curved than the right...I am soooo worried this is atrophy, which is accompanying the twitching :( I measured around my foot and it's almost 0.4cm smaller than the right and that's ALOT for a foot!

I have been told my pelvis is misaligned and out of rotation [lower on the left side] but I haven't really done anything to trigger the pain to come on this intensely so I can't separate it from the twitching and accept that it's just an alignment issue...also for foot pain caused by misalignment I have read that it cause flat feet rather than more pronounced arches...

I know BFS can cause aches and pains but this leg size discrepancy, and the NON STOP twitching and now this apparent atrophy in my foot is scaring me that I am going to be one of the unlucky few who exhibit the rarest of ALS symptoms at the youngest of ages.

I am just so worried, but my doctor has told me to leave it alone now, and I find this hard to accept when the pain is unrelenting [especially when at rest] and has no other cause [like an injury] - it accompanied the twitching after about 3/4 weeks of it starting.

Any of your advice would be welcomed.
reanne2489

Re: Panicking Again

Postby Yuliasir on October 24th, 2014, 5:24 am

but I haven't really done anything to trigger the pain to come on this intensely

Reanne, you walked for 4 months in the improper shoes. You have a job requiring high load on the legs. This means you got muscle and tendons misalignement, probably like ehthesopaty (inflammation of tendons in the point where they are attached to the bones), and of course muscle pains. This pain usually increases until muslce misalignment would be corrected. This may need wearing a shin and ankle ortesis but really is curable.

4 mm difference is NOTHING, really. Really. You could cause it deliberately by tightening a measuring strip a bit. Having one foot slightly curved inward means that you have hypermobile ankle joint (most probably). If you can revert it easlily back vithout resistance or strong pain, it is only a natural difference and nothing sisnister.

All you desribe supports ortopedic issues, not neurological. Did you seen any ortopedists with the plan to have a sustained treatment? Constant strain on the muscles may cause twitching as it is a bit like you always have your leg muscles overworking and having more load they can carry.

Flat feet does not mean you woudl not have any arches at all. I do have arches and still diagnosed as a flat-feet person. You may still have defects in weight distribution over the foot and therefore pains and strains.

Wish you can accept this, really. If it is an orto issue, it would be progressing and anyway would not be cured in a moment. Pursuing idea of neurological disease would not give you any benefit and would not help with curing your current pain.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby reanne2489 on October 24th, 2014, 5:47 am

Thanks!

I dont have hypermobile joints...in fact my ankle is very tight according to my physio...

I just get worried as the inner curve looks so very like the high curves of atrophied feet i see when i google it... :(

If i knew how to post a pic here I would to show you
reanne2489

Postby reanne2489 on October 24th, 2014, 5:50 am

Having literally laid on my back to examine both feet again my left foot is definitely much more pronounced curve-wise and the right one is much "meatier". I just would find it so bizarre to have foot atrophy before weakness - i know it can happen and im scared :/
reanne2489

Postby Yuliasir on October 24th, 2014, 5:57 am

I did not google atrophied feet so I can not help you my dear :)

If you have misalignment issue, it is natural that your leg is curved a bit. Trying to spare a leg which is painful may cause some increase in the muscle mass on other side of the body. Level of the function should be the ultimate measure of your leg status but believ eme it could be well impaired in a misalignment issue. Even few weeks in a cast cause some clear atrophy, you did not wear the cast but definitely you are trying to spare the leg causing you pain.

as per exams and evaluations reported, neurologically you are ok. Pain of the type you describe points to strain and misalignment rather then to neurological problemms. that is all I ca say as a plain person. Have a lot of sympathy becasue you have so much pain but can not support any of your ideas about ALS or ALS-related atrophy.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby reanne2489 on October 24th, 2014, 6:03 am

Thanks Yuliasir

I think for me what freaks me the most is that the pain just hit me. I know I was having some random aches throughout the summer, and i do still get aches in my arms and hands too [which should point away from ALS as it wouldn't be so spread]

What's surprising is I actually balance all my weight when standing on this leg so don't try to take weight off it. ??
reanne2489

Postby LKP1231 on October 24th, 2014, 6:04 am

If the leg that bothers you was tested by emg then you do not have ***. You do have issues with your foot, probably from the shoes etc. but it's not that disease! You're fortunate. Believe it
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby reanne2489 on October 24th, 2014, 6:22 am

I do try and keep telling myself these things- i think i just want a full body MOT - im that kind of a person...big worrier [funny right? given BFS sufferers often are worriers]

I just worry cause i know for ALS 4 limbs have to be checked, but yes you are right, it was my left calf that was tested and it is my left foot which hurts and has the high arch. i'm hoping it's not atrophy and just an arch issue playing up like you both say.

Im seeing an osteopath this week, and it will be interesting to see if he has any impact on the pain in my leg in general, and i will ask him should i see an orthopedist for my foot - i'll also ask him could my pelvis in general be causing this kind of issue with my foot.

Thank you both!
reanne2489

Postby Yuliasir on October 24th, 2014, 6:26 am

Normally we do not note this sparing action unless it is sharp pain like in the broken leg :) Some people are even trying to use a severly damaged leg... I knew a girl who had a fracture in the foot bones, and she was quite walking on it for a week or so until the edema become significant and she had to make an Xray...

Pain really makes out brain to think negatively. I remember when I had chest pain for gastritis, I was sure it is something really bad in my liver... and it took several weeks to re-reading gastro report saying 'liver hemagioma, gastritis" while taking also prescribed meds to get myself definitely feel better mentally...

I had translated several scientific papers right this week saying that even position of your teeth affects your walking (as it affects head position, this afects neck, this cones to torax, and this comes to legs). What to say about the pelvis! surely it does affect it!
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on October 24th, 2014, 11:09 am

I just went on the forbidden forum and noticed you posting there.

you should really leave MND behind. The EMG would have caught something sinister, and the many doctors you have seen would have suspected it by now.

Going to an ALS site and asking people with actual ALS after you have been through numerous tests is a little rude IMO.

You are hunting for a disease you don't want.

You have issues but not ALS.

let it go.

As far as noticing the differences -- if you look for it you will find it. My left foot arch is higher than my right and my right is meatier than my left.

I used to panic like you (rare times i still do) but what helped me -- instead of noticing the differences in my own body -- i look at other peoples bodies and notice they have the same differences.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS