Waiting on an EMG with questions

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Waiting on an EMG with questions

Postby nervoususer on October 14th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Long time (anxious) lurker, first time poster. I've been reading and rereading some of the most reassuring posts over and over again the past few several weeks trying to calm myself down while I waited for my first neuro appt (which finally happened last Fri). I went in with twitching all over but mainly in my right leg (seems to be there all the time in that leg... I always feel better when it moves somewhere else!). I also have some muscle cramping, especially in my right thumb, and both ankles, but especially my right one, have been hurting. I actually turned my ankle last weekend in a ditch on a bike trip and almost lost it because I was afraid it meant I had muscle weakness.

However, my clinical exam went fine. Doc thought everything looked okay (toe/heel walking, muscle strength testing, reflexes, etc) and said often people who exercise rarely or exercise often are more likely to twitch and cramp. She also mentioned that those who come in with twitches seem to be a more anxious bunch than the rest of the population (this forum would probably back that up!). She said to come back in 3 months OR said I could have an EMG. I, of course, immediately opted for the EMG for my mental sanity and now am anxiously awaiting my appt next Thursday.

But one thing my doc did ask was whether I had low back pain. I said no, but on further reflection, I do randomly seem to get low back pain that's not associated with exercise that has come up more frequently. Anyone know why that might be relevant?

Anyone have any advice about going in for the EMG? Do you know your results right away? My understanding is if you can feel your muscles twitching but your EMG is clean then you don't have ALS.

Basically, I'm fighting as hard as I can not to completely panic for another 10 days but it's getting tiring constantly having to fight my brain multiple times a day :?
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming
nervoususer
Interested
Interested

Re: Waiting on an EMG with questions

Postby Yuliasir on October 14th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Why it is relevant to ask about lower back pain?

becasue it is one of the most common neurological condition. Probably your age, posture, gait or leg sking sensitivity suggested you may have lower back troubles.

Whether you will have your EMG results immediately after or in a week or so depends on institution procedures and rules. Usually it takes not more than one week and often you will get the report immediately.

No matter what would be written in your report or what doctors would be talking during EMG (I mean re findings, not a football). Important is only of the Summary part of the reports would have any mention of MND damage or will state there is no sign of MN damage.
In case of lower back radiculopathy it is expected to have certain pathological changes on leg EMG, but remember that ALS diagnosis implies 12 items or so which should be in constellation.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby nervoususer on October 14th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Thanks for the information - I appreciate it. I'm trying so hard to chill out but then something will happen that will totally throw me into a panic, which I'm sure doesn't help my symptoms! I'm determined that if the EMG is clean that I'll work as hard as I can to believe my docs and move on (no more dr Google!). I'm not going to think about the alternative for if it comes up dirty. It's just really really nice to know I'm not alone. I'm grateful for everyone that's shared their positive experiences - it's very comforting/hopeful.
nervoususer
Interested
Interested

Postby jwb33w on October 16th, 2014, 10:49 pm

If the neuro does the emg then they will tell u right away after every muscle if you ask. If it's just a tech I don't think they can legally say much, but I've heard some give slight hints at the end. The pain varied from different muscles but my back is sore from the para spinal muscles I had done. That **** hurt. Oh and don't freak out when you hear sounds from the machine cuz you will.
jwb33w

Postby nervoususer on October 22nd, 2014, 5:20 pm

Thanks jwb33w, that's reassuring - the EMG is tomorrow morning so I can mentally prep myself not to freak out when I hear noises :) That's good! I've had techs give hints (sometimes even great explanations!) for other tests so I hope this is the same.... I think my anxiety has hit an all time high. I just try to keep reassuring myself that other people here have all sorts of strange symptoms (cramping/pain/perceived weakness/twitching/jumping/etc) and most seem, medically, to be relatively healthy. I won't say I've never thought I might have a really bad illness, but I've NEVER had anxiety about it that's lasted this long or been this intense and absolutely nonstop. Thanks for the support!
nervoususer
Interested
Interested

Postby dolphin8808 on October 22nd, 2014, 7:50 pm

Please keep us posted. My neuro appt is Friday and I will be setting up an EMG too. I did just herniated a disc in my back and now it seems both legs, some arms, tummy and all over twitching has begun. 2 days after my back injury this all started. I am starting to see myself testing my strength, if my foot ever catches I convince myself it's weakness. I am a fitness instructor and am still doing the same weights but if have to push through them a bit more than normal, I convince myself it's weakness.

I still have pretty severe sciatica and nerve pain down my left leg but the twitches are all in my right and all over.

I do,suffer from high anxiety as well and am so over this., as I type my legs are going all twitchy :(
dolphin8808

Postby nervoususer on October 23rd, 2014, 6:24 pm

Hey all! Just wanted to let you know I made it back from my EMG. They did a nerve study on both legs and my right arm and then did the needle pokes on my right leg, right arm, and one in my back - the whole thing took about an hour. I wouldn't say it was the most comfortable exam but the neuro (different from the first one I saw) did it himself which was great. He is sending the results to my original neuro but told me that ultimately the results were normal. He also stressed that the results that we get when we Google something (and I didn't even tell him I had Googled this!) are the popular results, not necessarily what's representative in the universe (aka - when you Google twitching, ALS comes up near the top, rather than the myriad of other, more common causes).

He said he doesn't know why my right foot is cramping (happening now, ouch!), or why I twitch so many places, or why my calf is bothering me - but he said it's not a serious muscular or nerve issue and I should go get some sleep and relax.

I say all that just to say that I had myself convinced that the appt was going to go poorly. Cramping, pain, perceived weakness, AND twitches spelled doom to me in so many ways. I've never been more nervous for a doctor's appointment - I almost cried when I got the results. I'm actively working, and I mean really working, to get my anxiety under control. To push back the negative thoughts, to fight the desire to convince myself of something that's not there, to realize that the worrying isn't doing any good. It's really hard but I'm determined to keep at it. I think that's the only way I'm going to get "better" from this.
nervoususer
Interested
Interested

Postby jwb33w on October 23rd, 2014, 6:28 pm

Great news!!! glad to hear
jwb33w

Postby dolphin8808 on October 23rd, 2014, 8:56 pm

Awesome news! I see my neuro tomorrow and am praying for the similar results :)
dolphin8808

Postby Yuliasir on October 23rd, 2014, 11:43 pm

good to hear :) wish you good moving on!
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby nervoususer on October 24th, 2014, 11:03 am

Thanks all - it's a huge weight off my shoulders. I so appreciate all your support - I was a reader a long time before I posted and everyone on here really helped keep me sane. It made me feel SO much better to know there were other people feeling the same way I was.
nervoususer
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group