MRI of hand and wrist- questions/advice

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

MRI of hand and wrist- questions/advice

Postby Xina535 on October 15th, 2014, 5:45 am

Been dealing with some messed up symptoms. Throat and voice issues, right side chest pain, and right hand weakening grip and what many believe is fat atrophy (not muscle). All blood tests are normal, incld. thyroid and ANA. EMG at end of May was only on my LEFT arm and leg.

For my hand:
My orthopedic ordered an MRI of my hand and wrist. He could not tell anything by the X-ray, and said I have "wrist instability", but he can't tell anymore than that.

Question: can the MRI tell if I have muscle atrophy or can it pick up MND in any manner (like seeing if the nerves are dead or dying/disconnecting)? Would it be able to tell why my thumb area is thinner (like cause of fat atrophy, if this is what that is)? I read that it can show muscle, tissue, tendons and nerves, but I did not read up or search if it can tell if MND is happening.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: MRI of hand and wrist- questions/advice

Postby Yuliasir on October 15th, 2014, 6:43 am

Nope. MRI is to see your soft tissues and nerves but not if they are dying or not. Your nerve routes would be seen, any tendon tears etc would be seen too, muscle inflammation, tendinitis - this is what MRI can reveal.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 15th, 2014, 7:24 am

thanks! so it can't rule out MND either, right?

and it can see nerve roots, in my hand? I always thought of nerve roots being at my spine or in my brain.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on October 15th, 2014, 7:25 am

nope, only axons of course. nerve routes I mean, sorry for my English - how your nerves are routed, if they are twisted or pinched or otherwise dispalced.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 15th, 2014, 7:30 am

ok this is great to know!!!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 16th, 2014, 3:01 am

MRI appt is 23-Oct and I get the results read to me on 27-Oct.

I HOPE TO EVERYTHING something is found. This sounds crazy, but I need real treatment for this issue! If they can see it's carpal tunnel, or some sort of tendonitis, then they'll know what I need to get better.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group