Bored Waiting...

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Bored Waiting...

Postby reanne2489 on October 14th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Hi all,

Still no EMG results...after the test being one week ago. I've been running a strange kind of apathetic yet emotional roller coster. I know there's little I can do to hurry up the results...other than wish for there to be a competent Chinese/English speaking neurologist somewhere in China!

However, even with the result, they only tested my left leg...and I know denervation needs to be shown in 4 limbs to get an ALS diagnosis. I am also growing more aware every day how my left leg, where the twitching is absolutely constant throughtout, that it is sore in the calf and sole of my foot. I know this usually points away from ALS- but the loss in mass of this leg...although seemingly insignificant to my doc and physio, is apparent to me and others when i point it out.

I'm just so anxious because I have no sciatica or trapped nerves in my lumbar spine, no deficiencies and no lyme disease. So I am at a loss to explain these symptoms.

My doctor said from the annoying Chinglish translation of my EMG report so far that he doesn't believe it is serious due to a mention of motor neurons being normal but there is some sensitivity abnormality...i have no clue what this could refer to ... i have never heard of sensory nerves twitching...

Blaaah. Any support would be appreciated.
reanne2489

Re: Bored Waiting...

Postby TwitchyDoc on October 15th, 2014, 2:10 am

Did you not mean "increased insertional activity"? That would make sense and it is often found.

Sensory nerves really cannot "twitch" as 1) they are nerves, nerves themselves cannot twitch and 2) they do not inervate motor units..

Testing one limb is really not that much but if that is the extremity you have problems with, clean reading is very good if done well.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on October 15th, 2014, 2:39 am

[quote]but the loss in mass of this leg...although seemingly insignificant to my doc and physio, is apparent to me and others when i point it out.

I'm just so anxious because I have no sciatica or trapped nerves in my lumbar spine, no deficiencies and no lyme disease. So I am at a loss to explain these symptoms.[/quote

Reanne, why do you think that your symptomes should be explained only in the way you fear of?
It is important that people who specialize on motor system diseases do not consider your body difference as atrophy - this is only your opinion, and when you point it out to other plain people, they of course may agree with you as they are the same non-professional persons. For example, I have warious irregularities on my leg muscles, and should I convince myself those are atrophies, I am sure I can persuade others (except doctors of course).

From your description (knee displacement, pain in the calf and foot, previous very active sports life and tendons issues, 4 months of wearing rain sandlas and a teacher profession) I would rather consider chronic trauma of tendons, something like enthesitis or tendinitis, which may mean that you need Xray and ultrasond of your leg, not MRI of spine or EMg or so... and your doctor should be rather orthopdist, podiatrist, surgeon etc., but not neurologist. Our kinematics system is so complicated - for example, when my guts are cramping, I have also pains in my neck and shoulder - looks like guts pain causes tension in the belly muscles, this causes tension in upper body muscles, and this reflects in the neck and shoulder - and this is just a single example. You definitely have your left foot posture different from your right one (you mentioned the sandal on the left foot was much more worn off), which is quite common (I too have quite different wear signs on my shoes), and foot posture becomes very important when it comes to 4 months of flat sole footwear... so pains, muscle stiffnes etc. are really inevitable.

My suggestion would be to think about chronic trauma, improper footwear and chronic loads, and visit to an experienced poditarist may really make a miracle in this case.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group