Aaagh. Forearm. Please help.

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Aaagh. Forearm. Please help.

Postby d75 on October 12th, 2014, 8:42 am

Hello,

Long-term twitcher who keeps thinking they have beaten it, then keeps getting pulled back in.

Short version: for the last six weeks or so I've had pretty localised twitching just in my right forearm, on the underside/outer side. Mainly two or three spots. Not constant but certainly hourly or (usually) more.

I also have perceived weakness, although nothing clearly demonstrable, plus some pain in my thumb on exertion. Wouldn't call this a cramp, exactly, more of a 'pulled muscle' type shooting pain, and only on exertion.

I'm pretty freaked out at the moment, as I read somewhere that localised twitching in a forearm for a prolonged period was considered a bad thing.

Anyone experienced anything similar, or can help? Could use it right now.

Thanks
d75
Hero
Hero

Re: Aaagh. Forearm. Please help.

Postby RIno468 on October 12th, 2014, 10:18 am

I know in your mental state right now this will not be as reassuring --

unless you have true weakness -- then you are fine.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby d75 on October 13th, 2014, 3:44 am

No, I'll take anything right now. Thank you.

Was just hoping that someone had experienced something vaguely similar.

I was clinging to the fact *** cramps are just that - genuine cramps - but I don't even know if that is true.
d75
Hero
Hero

Postby d75 on October 13th, 2014, 7:22 am

Okay honestly I'm panicking quite a bit at the lack of any replies - can someone tell me if that's normal for the board these days?
d75
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on October 13th, 2014, 8:15 am

we are not a board of MDs in no way :) that is why maybe nobody reples to you. Having hotspots and multiple hotspots are aols comon thig here, that is why maybe there are also not much of replies...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby d75 on October 13th, 2014, 8:19 am

Yuliasir wrote:we are not a board of MDs in no way :) that is why maybe nobody reples to you. Having hotspots and multiple hotspots are aols comon thig here, that is why maybe there are also not much of replies...

Thanks, appreciate the reply, am in a bit of a state - I think when I was a regular a long time back the support group maybe had a few more active users.

I guess I was hoping someone might have discussed the issue of BFS pain / 'normal' pain / *** pain with a neuro at some point. I THOUGHT I remembered being told that *** pain was more typically full-blown cramps, rather than more 'muscular' feeling pain on exertion. But I'm not sure whether I remembered that correctly.

Anyway, thanks again, it really does mean a lot.
d75
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on October 13th, 2014, 9:13 am

well, if I can help. I may try ti summarise what is generally known about the pain in our condition versus ALS.

ALS does not alter a person in a way like the patien can not experience exertion pains, muscle soreness etc. They do of course expereience muscle pains of various types, but we must consider what is common and what is, let's say, diagnostically significant. In terms of diagnostic significane (let's say, in order to get worried) one must experience constant cramping and related muscle spasticity which is a result of UMN damage which is part of ALS clinical picture. LMN damage by nature is painless so called weak paralysis at which a limb just says goodbye in a quiet way.

BFS people experience pains which are clearly related to twitching (sore spots in twitching places, which is understandable), pains due to bad circulation caused by postural troubles (which are often increased in BFS due to hours spent in searching and reading of ALS sites - and I do not joke at all, as postural pains and ishemias could be quite signigicant), they may suffer with lowered pain threshold due to sensiry neurones hyperexcitability etc. But those pains are either clearly related to twitching zones or vice versa are migrating and not associalted with any spasticity (which is a significant rigidity of muscles up to unabiklity to keep normal posture and limb positions). And they are quite diagnostically meaningful in case of BFS.

Generally, if your pain is slight, migrating, rather simialr to soreness that to spastic pains (brrrr!!!!!! I think anybody could tell one from another), or if you have pains in the zone of common cramping or in the twitching area, it is really nothing to worry about. If you have painful skin - this is usually a tension pain. Pain in the joints often is in fact pain in tendons which suffer from constant muscle tension caused by anxiety, or are a result of self-testing.

That is what I know on my own experience and on the experience of other fellows after three years of communication.

we also may have very strange pains, also not related to MND - for example, when I have gut cramps (also common for anxious people), I have also pain in my neck and shoulder region. have no idea what is a kinematics of this pain, but it is clearly associated with my IBS attacks and I am used to take it as it is :)))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby d75 on October 13th, 2014, 9:20 am

That's really, really helpful; thanks very much indeed.
d75
Hero
Hero

Postby d75 on November 15th, 2014, 7:17 am

Hello. Just a quick update in case it helps someone else in the future. Went back to the neuro. The thumb issue he said was just a pull or strain. He pointed out it was the most used joint in the body and suffers injury very regularly, particularly as we get older. Cramp is cramp; where it does occur in MND it is associated with other symptoms of upper motor neuron damage. Neuros are essentially looking for weakness WITHOUT pain. My weakness (which I will swear blind to my dying day was real) was not demonstrable to him, and has since resolved. The forearm twitching stopped, gradually, as I became calmer over the following weeks.

Lessons? To me, that the brain is very powerful. It can make physical symptoms which are real, and make physical symptoms which SEEM so real as to make no difference. But a doctor will know the difference, and know what is significant.

One positive upshot is that I started seeing a clinical psychologist who has been hugely helpful in helping me understand and deal with my health anxiety. It has been with me for years; on and off, yes, but enough to destroy relationships and seriously affect my quality of life. No more. One of the many things I've learned from therapy is that if you do suffer health anxiety you can't just hope it will go away, or expect someone to take it from you. It requires an honest assessment, and some effort, too.

Anyway thanks again, and hope this helps someone in the future should they suffer a very specific forearm twitch non-stop for several weeks. I did; just like all my other twitches, it was BFS.
d75
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on November 15th, 2014, 8:53 am

if you do suffer health anxiety you can't just hope it will go away, or expect someone to take it from you. It requires an honest assessment, and some effort, too.

that is where healing and regain of life control begins.
good to see you got it :) follow this way and you would be a winner for sure.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on November 15th, 2014, 9:28 am

I'm glad you went to the neuro and he cleared things up for you. I have pain and aches in my legs and knees constantly which is where almost all my twitching has settled. Cramps in the calves are mild. No weakness that I can tell. Hoping my neuro will be as helpful as yours next week! Have a good weekend.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group