Perceived Weakness?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Perceived Weakness?

Postby jwb33w on October 9th, 2014, 4:02 pm

So I had always felt tired since the twitching/spasm began back in June, but ever since Aug 20th when I watched the Pete Frates interview. I have days where both arms feel weak and tired the minute I wake up. That will last a day or so then it will be my legs that feel "weak". Not a heavy weak feeling but like they are rubbery. I typically feel like I have the flu about to come on at the same time these feelings are there. My main question, is this the weakness/fatigue they were talking about in the interview preceding the real weakness? or do you think perhaps anxiety or my head might be playing tricks with me, after hearing about this could cause months of off/on rubbery feelings in arms and legs and general "tiredness"
jwb33w

Re: Perceived Weakness?

Postby J4son on October 9th, 2014, 4:28 pm

Frates described his fatigue as a tiredness so pronounced that he had to take several naps everytime he used to get out of the house in the morning to start his day. Jerome Golmard a French tennis player diagnosed with AlS early this year, experienced fatigue in the beginning. He said he had to sleep 14 hours a day to recover. In both cases obvious weakness was present in a matter of weeks. So it's very different from fatigue due to stress, anxiety and depression.
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby jwb33w on October 9th, 2014, 4:33 pm

ok wow thanks for clearing that up...nothing like that kind of fatigue thanks J4son
jwb33w

Postby RIno468 on October 9th, 2014, 7:09 pm

jwb33w wrote:So I had always felt tired since the twitching/spasm began back in June, but ever since Aug 20th when I watched the Pete Frates interview. I have days where both arms feel weak and tired the minute I wake up.

That kind of sums it up -- you watched the video, made his story, your story -- and now you feel weak.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby jwb33w on October 10th, 2014, 5:01 pm

RIno468 wrote:
jwb33w wrote:So I had always felt tired since the twitching/spasm began back in June, but ever since Aug 20th when I watched the Pete Frates interview. I have days where both arms feel weak and tired the minute I wake up.

That kind of sums it up -- you watched the video, made his story, your story -- and now you feel weak.

Not trying to doubt ya RIno468, its just hard to accept the fact that your mind could impose "weakness" feeling just by hearing this story
jwb33w

Postby RIno468 on October 11th, 2014, 10:45 am

You are going to find that your mind is very powerful.

The upside of the Ice Bucket challenge is that it brought awareness and much needed funding to this horrible disease.

The downside of it -- is that is has caused many people who have even minor anxiety about their health to look up symptoms and then kaboom -- they have ALS.

How do i know ? Ive read this forum, and many many ALS forums -- and they have all kicked up in activity since the Ice Bucket Challenge.

My story:

Clinical diagnosed Hypochondriac.

I lift weights regularly, do martial arts, run. I had surgery (from a sports injury) and was out of action for 9 weeks. During those 9 weeks I just noticed my legs getting smaller -- instead of logically thinking -- oh i havent worked out i am shrinking, I was like what is going on here? Look it up -- Atrophy -- look that up Pete Frates -- Ice Bucket Challenge -- downhill.

So i decide f that -- im gonna lift some weights (sports injury recovery be damned) to prove to myself I wasn't weak -- I was Olympic lifting weight that i had never done before much more than usual and I didnt gradually go up in weight -- just from a 9 week break to lifting 40-50lbs more than usual. I heavy squat 3-4x a week -- and i did this for 3 weeks -- so now im convinced I dont have ALS -- cool right?

Wrong -- rewatched Pete Frates and back downhill again -- Legs started twitching like CRAZY (logically its cause of the workouts but mentally I have ALS) felt weak -- examined all my workouts and training when I was doing it --

"Did I have this much trouble last time"
"oh god i cant do this -- im getting weak"

Then I started having trouble lifting the same weights i was lifting before -- my martial arts training I was slower and my grip wasnt as strong. I was examining everything instead of being in the moment --

Went to my GP -- who assessed me and said I seemed fine but go back to therapy for your anxiety.

Did that -- now i can lift more than I was lifting before -- i try to stay away from als sites and just keep it to this site if i have to.

I still twitch but not as much because Im not worried about it.

My point in this long post -- is that your mind is powerful, it will make your body perceive many things.

The main thing -- is can you do it?

Can you walk without stumbling? Can you handle your car keys?

Unless you truly fail at certain tasks -- you are ok
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS