Spasticity and Twitching

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Spasticity and Twitching

Postby reanne2489 on October 7th, 2014, 2:33 am

Hi all,

I'm a little freaked out again. My EMG is tomorrow so hopefully in the next day or so I will know more...

However, over the past number of days I've been experiencing very sore aches and pains in the muscles in my left leg- the one which twitches constantly. I hoped this was just a typical BFS symptom, and perhaps also caused by doing some squats and strength tests on my legs.

However, I went to see a physio about it, and whilst she said she doesn't see any muscle wastage, and it's to be expected to be a little asymmetrical, she said my calf muscles were extremely tight, and she couldn't work out why. She also said my left ankle was very immobile.

Now, I explained that in the past I was very sporty- going back a few years now- I used to play a lot of field hockey and before that was a sprinter. I know this leg used to be tight when doing squats in the past due to finding it hard to keep my heels down, and occasionally the knee would play up, and I would roll the ankle of my left leg often when walking in heels.

However, recently, despite doing a little running on my treadmill and some resistance training, along with strength exercises to check for ALS, I haven't really done anything that should make it feel so shockingly tight or painful, even to the touch.

This is why I am worried I have spasticity in this limb, as this is also where my twitching is 24/7. Does anybody have any thoughts on this or any knowledge??

Thank you
reanne2489

Re: Spasticity and Twitching

Postby TwitchyDoc on October 7th, 2014, 5:41 am

Well, there is nothing I could advise you as you do not know if that is spasticity - your neurologist would tell by a simple test. Tight muscle does not mean it is automatically spastic. Painful to touch is not normally related to spasticity - the tightness would have to be really severe and the touch strong enough).
In some cases of Isaac's, there is even hypertrophy of muscles caused by the continuous muscle activity, often heralded by tightness. I do not imply you have Isaac's, just trying to demonstrate there are benign conditions that might cause that.
Docen
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on October 7th, 2014, 5:58 am

Could just be sore from the exercise, doesn't sound like spasicity
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby RobJ on October 7th, 2014, 6:47 pm

Neurologist told me this, if you think you have spasticity, then you don't. Simple as that. There would be no question if you had it. You would know it others around you would know you had it. You'd be diagnosed walking through the door even in some crappy doctor's office.
RobJ

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS