Thyroid/blood tests coming up - advice please

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Thyroid/blood tests coming up - advice please

Postby Xina535 on October 5th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Hi all, I don't want to mess up a very important blood check up on Wed., and I have the options to choose which tests I want if I want to pay for them.

My mother's father had thyroid cancer and my mother had lots if thyroid issues, so many people are telling me to get thyroid checked, especially since my voice/throat symptoms started, only, I don't think it's been tested right in the past.

I am going in the morning as fasting.

I want more than TSH, right? Here is what I will ask for (what others advised):

TPO
TAK Ak
TSH, ft3 and ft4

I had an 1:160 positive fine speckled ANA before so I was going to ask for that.

Of course the usual blood profile which I think includes CK, but I also want to check my B vitamins and iron, seeing as I am a veggie head.

Anything else I'm missing? I'm in an anti-google mode right now, so I'd appreciate any advice!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Thyroid/blood tests coming up - advice please

Postby Xina535 on October 5th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Oh yea!!! Another question:

Will thyroid results be accurate if my symptoms changed in degree?

Example: my throat / voice issue is always there, but it was worse on Thurs than today. So if this stays this way until Wed., would the thyroid test be accurate?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on October 5th, 2014, 10:19 pm

Yes, it should. I have been reading up on sub-clinical thyroid and it explains a LOT of what we go through. Certainly worth checking out. I have a list somewhere of the tests I want to ask for for this but can't put my finger on it at the moment. I know forsure TSH, T3 and T4 There may be one more. Good Luck!
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on October 6th, 2014, 12:44 am

I've send you a pm again! The result of the bloodwork is not affected by the extend of your symptoms in that case...
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on October 6th, 2014, 1:13 am

Thyroid tests have to be done qute regularly to spot trends unless you do not have really bad and obvious conditions (as far as I know) but 'triple test' (TSH, T3 and T4) usually considered to be quite a good indication of possibloe problems even if taken once.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 6th, 2014, 4:14 am

ok thank you everyone! I will post what comes from the results.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 8th, 2014, 1:17 am

Ok so the technician said that the doc has to specifically order the TPO and TAk ak, which she didn't and the doc wasn't there to get clarification. She said those are thyroid antibodies that are usually ordered only when the TSH, T2 and T3 are abnormal.

I asked if the B vitamins were in the profile and she said no, and that the doc needs to order it. So something another thing that got messed up.

I did get ANA, the normal blood profile (ink. CK) and the TSH, T2, T3. I have to pay 28€ for all. I wonder, if I have to pay for the test myself, then why can't I get the values I want? Humpf!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 13th, 2014, 11:22 am

Hi - update:

Appt to review blood work and stool test in detail is next week Wed., but she did tell me over the phone the blood was all normal (including thyroid and ANA). Stool test results are pending.

Meanwhile, I am having panic attacks regarding what I posted here, especially now that everyone was thinking I could have thyroid or ANA stuff happening, and I'm not!!!!! :cry:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21076

But I see my ortho on Wed., about my hand and I am going to demand real action! Not just take my hand in his hand and tell me "instable wrist and weak arm muscles."

Struggling to NOT go to my neuro's office when he opens at 8am as an acute symptom patient (or any other neuro), but what I really really really want is an EMG of my right hand/arm. Only the left was EMGed, once. Only nerve tests were done on my right (all normal). But I know that will be me throwing myself into the "circle of neverending questions and seeking reassurance" even further than I am now if I do go. :roll: Same thought about just showing up to a throat doctor's office as a new, acute patient about this feeling there and voice problem.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on October 14th, 2014, 6:43 am

Dear Xina,

and yes, this "acute person thing" in doctors office doesn't help in most cases as we both know. You just need the right person to look at you...hope your visit at ortho doc will bring you some clarity...Keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow!
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 15th, 2014, 5:36 am

Had my appt. he can't tell what's wrong and ordered an MRI of my hand and wrist. Called around , so far next available appt is mid-Dec!!!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on October 15th, 2014, 5:45 am

I've sent you a pm..
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 15th, 2014, 7:24 am

thanks for the PM and for the suggestion! I got an appt next week 23-Oct :mrgreen: will post the results of course...
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on October 15th, 2014, 9:50 am

I am happy to hear that. Sounds like a better timing :)
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on November 5th, 2014, 7:57 am

Hello All,

I think the people in the blood lab are messing with me!!!! When I went to pick up my stool test results and the referral to the ENT, she said that she received a CORRECTION to my last blood test and these are the main changes:

CK was not 60 U/L, it is 65 U/L (it says under 170 U/L is normal)

CRP is 1.30 (not sure what it was before). Now, it says a blurb under this that values between 1.2 and 1.9 imply a moderate cardiovascular risk. WHAT!? The normal range is under 5.0, so what? I am TOO low or something?

Then it says my thyroid values are normal, but it has this "diagnosis" in German: "Euthyreote Stoffwechsellage" - which translates to this "Euthyroid metabolic state" and I have no idea what that means.

AND most importantly - they came back saying the negative report of my ANAs was incorrect. In fact, I have this:

Positive ANA HEp2-IgG at 1:160 - homogenous
This is the same value I had when I had a positive ANA before, so my doctor said this is OK. But....WTH! How can a lab get all of that wrong?

And does anyone have opinions now on these corrections? Could my wrist cyst be contributing to anything? Please someone tell me these are not antibiodies or values associated with ***!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on November 5th, 2014, 8:37 am

well I am not a clarivoyante but looks like they had calibration problems on some devices :) or maybe just messed up different customers...

as a person with "euthyreoid condition" I may say that this means 'normally active thyroid' and may be considered as a good result. Any changes in thyroid function you may have are rather sublinical and do not affect your health in general. But at the same tume your thyroid seems to be enlarged, and this often happens in so called diffuse thyreoiditis.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group