Dropping things constantly.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Dropping things constantly.

Postby Arkansan on October 3rd, 2014, 10:44 am

So for the past month or two I have been dropping stuff left and right. My keys are the worst, they just sorta wash out of my hands, a lot of times I will drop stuff if I am picking it up and putting it somewhere else. It has only been small stuff, like no big objects.

This has me worried because I have seen people say it can be a precursor to weakness. It worries me how long it has been going on. Anyone else have this problem for an extended period of time? Is this something I should be worried about. For some reason it bothers me that I have not really been having twitches here lately, like they have nearly disappeared save for the very occasional one.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Dropping things constantly.

Postby RIno468 on October 4th, 2014, 11:50 am

Is it one hand that you are dropping things or both?

If you are having trouble with something like keys -- you should go to the dr and get a neuro referral.

We all drop things occasionally, but if its constantly then you may want to have that checked out.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arkansan on October 4th, 2014, 7:06 pm

It is both hands. I will be honest and say it seems worse when I am anxious or distracted, today has been a good day so far, haven't dropped anything.

Anyone else? I am kinda scared now.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby MarioMangler on October 4th, 2014, 11:53 pm

People drop things all the time when they are anxious and distracted.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on October 5th, 2014, 12:21 am

And when it gets colder by the way they drop them more frequently too. Some of us have muscles reactive to colder weather.
And also anxious people are prone to perceptional bias - they count each and every dropped thing and multipy it by hundred.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby J4son on October 5th, 2014, 12:42 am

Arkansas I drop things daily, especially small things, which is obviously linked to stress, never dropped something heavy, so don’t let your mind play tricks on you. Things just happen and you do not need to find an explanation for every minor event in your life. Let me tell you a story about how things can happen even though they might look like some bad auguries.

Last February I started feeling that my left leg was weak. With my BFS knowledge I convinced myself that it was just perceived weakness. People here were saying that as long as you do not trip or fall, you're ok. Then one day in the beginning of March I tripped when going to work in the morning. Then, a few hours later at noon of the same day I tripped again on the street, but this time it was so pronounced that a woman yelled something like: “Hey, be careful!” It didn't end here, and in the afternoon while going back home I tripped for the third time, but this time I fell completely to the ground. Now, I became really anxious went home and did all the self-tests I know: toe and heel walking, hopping on one leg, rising from a chair on one leg etc. No problems. Three weeks later end of March I was walking again on the street and noticed that I did not tripped for three weeks. Yet, a second after I had that thought I tripped once more, fell again, hurt my knee so badly that it started bleeding. I immediately went and bought new shoes thinking that maybe it’s the shoes. Well it’s been more than six months now, and I never tripped again, never had a fall again, still able to run normally, to do sports normally etc.

All this to tell you that things happen sometimes without really a reason; stress and anxiety make them worst and make the clumsiness more pronounced. You will see by yourself, months will pass and nothing sinister will happen.
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RobJ on October 5th, 2014, 5:20 am

tripping over things.........I recall a period when I thought i was having foot drop. Kept tripping, then one day, i noticed others tripping. It was a divot in the floor. I still wasn't convinced. I noticed myself tripping while walking outside at work. Then one day when I watched a security video, I noticed others tripping. Just this week at work, I co-worker tripped over a mat, he joking said, I wonder if I have something wrong with me, I'm always tripping on this *beep* mat....

We all drop things, we all trip. You just don't realize it.

If you have something wrong with you hand, you will know it. You won't be posting it here. I personally know people who had you know what, and they knew something was wrong. The hand wouldn't work. They stopped using the hand. It happened gradually, not as quick as some post on this site, but they knew it wasn't right. It didn't work on an off. It was off and it just went downhill from there.
RobJ

Postby leaflea on October 5th, 2014, 2:59 pm

I drop things very often, too. Small things. Keys, papers, clips. And I notice it every single time. The stories I have heard are of people dropping a gallon of milk, or not being able to hang on to a waterski rope. Sometimes I FEEL I won't be able to lift or carry heavier objects, but I try anyway. And I can do it. Every single time. I also tripped on a rug once and freaked out! But it was six months ago and hasn't happened again since.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics