Twitching and pain

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Twitching and pain

Postby johnnythejet on April 14th, 2011, 12:55 pm

vlaf wrote:Thanks again, I will do some exercise like I said. One more stupid question. If I will take up the running excersice as well, and IF I will get so much pain in the soles of my left foot (under the foot) so I cant walk because of the pain. It happaned me in december lika i described before (all problems began from that moment). My question about this, IS this ALS-typical that you get such pain that you cant walk as a first symptom?, I was in need of crutches during one week when it happened, but I haven´t experience such pain after that though only acheing ang tingeling at the same spots.

P.S Lots of ALS questions from me, but I am not SO worried anymore, You have really helped me there, including that you have convinced me that I shall trust my neuro....BUT I can´t STOP seeking answers of my symptoms...

Again, I want to reiterate that nothing about your symptoms, including the pain in your foot, is representative of ALS. Did you ever consider the possibility that you hurt your foot running? You may never know the cause of a pain in your foot, hand, knee or ankle. If you have a foot problem then get it checked out by your doctor. Bottom line is that you won't get explanations here for every pain and sensory symptom you experience, but we can tell you what is NOT the cause.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby vlaf on April 14th, 2011, 1:33 pm

I did contact a doctor i dec 2010, they even did a X-ray(I hope x-ray is the correct word in english, or roentgen?). They didn´t found nothing, only got some inflammation-pills, dont know if they was the cure, or if it resting for a week helped me. I know you cant help me with setting a diagnose of all my problems, but my questions was only IF als can start with this kind of urgent pain, maby it can, otherside, I know it could be thousand of other reasons causing this pain as well.

...getting tired of myself..always trying seeking answers, must let it go, I´m trying really hard...but you know...
vlaf
vlaf

Postby mommylondon on April 14th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Hi viaf. To answer your question, "NO" the heel pain that you are describing is not typical for ALS at all. Pain is rarely a factor with ALS until late stages of the disease, once the person has become quite immobile. Pain with ALS can come from cramps and spastisity as well, (but you do not have spastisity) But just generalized muscle pain, is not a symptom of ALS. There are so many from here that I have spoke to, that have the pain on the bottom of the feet (myself included) its very common with BFS for many.

If you are going to continue or begin to run, (which I think is fantastic that you can) I would just be sure that you warm up your muscles very well and include some good but gentle stretches before you head out, and make sure you have a good running shoe with lots of support. This will all help minimize any discomfort.

Feel free to ask me any questions you like, but to be fair to some of the more sensitive readers... If it is an intense or scary question about ALS, then just send it to me in a Private Message. I check my messages here often.

Take care viaf

Robynn :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby vlaf on April 16th, 2011, 3:46 am

I´ve got a question. It is a little bit hard for me to explane the symptoms in english, but once again, I hope you can understand me.

I have noticed one thing at my both calfes and I wonder if it bfs-typical.
When I am doing some excersice in my calfes, for examples "tensing, using" theese muscles (its lots of muscles in the calfes:)) but it´s some of the calf muscles which are a bit "weird", meaning, when I tense them almost all muscles reacts directly, as the should, but some of the muscles are a bit "delayed" before they are in a tensed mode, or mabe they just are in a twitching jumping mode, don´t really know, but they seems to be a bit "delayed". Is this a bfs symptom? I can also add that the muscels which are a little bit "delayed" are also the muscles who are twitching a lot in a resting and relaxed mode. Once againg I´ve got no weakness, antropy in the calfes and once again...I am getting really really tired of analysing my *beep* body 24x7. Maby I should lobotomize my brain, I think thats the best cure for me, he he.
vlaf
vlaf

Postby vlaf on April 19th, 2011, 11:12 am

Hi
I have done some excersising for a couple of days, for ex push up and walkings and I think I´ve been feeling much better. I´ve got a feeling that my twitches have been decreased. My pain in the forearm and in my left calf are still there but even this pain have been decreased including my numbness and pain in my fingers are nearly totaly gone. My anxiety for als have been better, meaning I´m more convinced that I´m not deadly sick, just having bfs. IF so, I´ve got a big respect what my mind can do with my body, but of course I´m not totaly convinced yeat, but my taste for life are growing for every day.
Once again, thanks for your support.
vlaf
vlaf

Postby vlaf on May 31st, 2011, 2:35 am

It´s now nearly 6 months since my first symptoms began (in Dec 2010). As you can read I have twitches and pain, numbness in my body at different spots. I have taken up my training/excersice again, for ex running, push ups etc and I can notice that my muscles are growing and my fittness in the tracks are improving, so I suppose/hope everything works out ok. The last month I´ve got a strange feeling in my throat and chest, incl increased salivia, but since last week it´s totaly gone - no symptoms in this area. I think this was related to my anxiety, it was just invented symptoms in my brain:) The reason for my increased anxiety was that i changed my medicine for my depression.

My old symptoms are still there, but I think they are improving a bit, or mabye I´m just accepting them in a better way. I´m in a better mode, my anxiety for ALS are decreasing, but I still have my hard days, that goes along with my bad stomach - stress related.

I´ve got some question for you:

1. I sometimes can feel some new twitches in my whole body, arms, back, butt, yes, everywhere... but they only comes in "single twitches", how shall I explane, it could be only "one or two" twitches in a spot, then after an hour or so it could be in another spot, I think this fenomen increases after my excercises...Has anyone experience this kind of twitches?

2. My calf twitches (both legs) often comes after excersice, for ex running or just walking. When the pops start I can make them stop just my lieing down or sit with my legs in a straight mode, if I bend them again, they start to twitch, strange, but mabye good for me, I can make my twitches stop in this way...he he. Has anyone experience this?

3. I google a bit and read about a medicine called vitaspice, has anyone some good experience of this?
vlaf
vlaf

Postby tiggida on May 31st, 2011, 7:01 pm

Hi Vlaf, I am a newbie too. I am almost 11 months in. Here is my very first post. http://www.nextination.com/aboutbfs/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15967
Please read it, I think you will relate.
I have heard of vitaspice, but haven't tried it yet. don't know if anyone on here has yet. I can't right now because i am pregnant and supposedly not suppose to have turmeric.
90% of my twitches are "one time" like you described. It's like the muscle pops once and then moves on to a different spot. I get this all day long in every part of my body. They call them "hit and runs" I believe. It's really weird, like the muscle just jerks or explodes or pops.
I hope this helps.
Tanya
tiggida
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby angusglover on July 12th, 2011, 2:13 pm

As soon as I saw you had pain, I was sure you did not have A**. When I saw you had numbness, then this rules out A** COMPLETELY. Absolutely and with no discussion.

Stay well.....
"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"
angusglover
Saint
Saint

Postby vlaf on September 23rd, 2011, 8:31 am

Hello all BFS: ar

I haven´t written anything on the forum lately, but I thought I must update my status for you.

In June, I got an itchy sore throat, much like something taunted me in my throat, but not compared to a normal cold. Then I got panic over an really increasingly growing saliva production, obviously I´ve got confused and was certain it was the ALS-bulbar symptoms. But after 1-2 months the symptoms disappeared and now I am free from these problems. I am/was good at convincing myself everything is connected to ALS...

In the same period, I´ve got a growing pain in the neck and shoulder muscles, this in my left side incl down toward my arm and out in my fingers as I have previously described. The ache in the neck tormented me much, it did so evil that it affected my daily life. I stopped my workouts and push-ups, and then I got a little better but when I use my muscles more for a period the pain is there again. My foot pain etc is ok and I keep up training with running.

I have not anywhere near the twitches in my calf etc but sometimes they pop up, but not so much as in the beginning of my disease . My mental health is much better, I am back on track and really OK. I am 99,999999999% sure I haven´t got ALS, I don’t really think of it anymore, I have come over these awful thoughts. What kind of disease I´ve got I can´t get an answer of, but I´m really, really OK now..but of course, something is wrong with my body but it aint ALS thats for sure...
vlaf
vlaf

Postby vlaf on November 23rd, 2012, 10:44 am

Hello all BFS: ar

I haven´t written anything on the forum lately, but I thought I must update my status for you.

In June, I got an itchy sore throat, much like something taunted me in my throat, but not compared to a normal cold. Then I got panic over an really increasingly growing saliva production, obviously I´ve got confused and was certain it was the ALS-bulbar symptoms. But after 1-2 months the symptoms disappeared and now I am free from these problems. I am/was good at convincing myself everything is connected to ALS...

In the same period, I´ve got a growing pain in the neck and shoulder muscles, this in my left side incl down toward my arm and out in my fingers as I have previously described. The ache in the neck tormented me much, it did so evil that it affected my daily life. I stopped my workouts and push-ups, and then I got a little better but when I use my muscles more for a period the pain is there again. My foot pain etc is ok and I keep up training with running.

I have not anywhere near the twitches in my calf etc but sometimes they pop up, but not so much as in the beginning of my disease . My mental health is much better, I am back on track and really OK. I am 99,999999999% sure I haven´t got ALS, I don’t really think of it anymore, I have come over these awful thoughts. What kind of disease I´ve got I can´t get an answer of, but I´m really, really OK now..but of course, something is wrong with my body but it aint ALS thats for sure...

I am 100% in good health, I didn´t have ALS - supergreat!!! It was only my mind which went completly crazy. So all You who guyes who think You´ve got ALS )(with similuar symptoms as me) -please relax!!! For me it only was stressrelated.
vlaf
vlaf

Postby tschloer on October 1st, 2014, 2:31 pm

vlaf wrote:
I am 100% in good health, I didn´t have ALS - supergreat!!! It was only my mind which went completly crazy. So all You who guyes who think You´ve got ALS )(with similuar symptoms as me) -please relax!!! For me it only was stressrelated.

I am praying I have the same results as you. I read through all your posts and have similar experiences. Ive been to a neurologist and had MRI, Lumbar Puncture and tomorrow I have my EMG. Its been a real rollercoaster for me the past few months and am praying for a clean EMG so I can clear my head and move on with life. I have body wide twitching, the neuro did mention some increased reflexes in my knees(which didn't comfort me any), do any of you BFSers have that symptom? I have no atrophy or clinical weakness per the neurologist. I want to move on with my life and am hoping after tomorrows tests, I can do so. The neuro did say that even if EMG is good, he will want to see me back in 3-4 months to make sure all is well.
tschloer
Interested
Interested

Postby misterjuanperalta on October 1st, 2014, 3:19 pm

You've been brave. I think EMG will be fine.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on October 1st, 2014, 3:25 pm

Tschloer, I am just where you are. I've had all tests but emg which is tomorrow. Twitching all over with near constant in feet and very often in legs. Other places random. Mostly small to invisible for the last 7 weeks. Some cramping and muscle soreness. I will hoping hoping the best for both of us. I had slightly strong knee reflexes too
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby tschloer on October 1st, 2014, 3:39 pm

Ive had quite a few weak almost unnoticeable, but this past Tuesday I had em in my left shoulder that you could see through my shirt. I showed the ladies at work and they couldn't believe it. I did look at some youtube vids of a few guys with BFS that had them in the same area that looked identical. My twitches come in random places but stay local to tht initial spot, if that makes sense. Ive seen in ALS where many times they will travel down the muscle and don't stay as localized, but I know that's different for everyone as ALS is very inspecific from one to another. Ive also noticed more cracking in my joints and at first I had a lot of leg pains and fatigue, but that went away as soon as I got my anxiety under control. I guess when you don't sleep and eat for 8-10 days, it takes a toll on your body and couple with the extreme anxiety, I was a real wreck. Hope we both get the results we NEED tomorrow LKP.

By the way, I am 32 years old, white male with a Beautiful wife and 3 beautiful children that are my life, that's what has scared me the most through this, not ALS itself, but the thoughts of my wife and kids trying to go on in this evil world without me.
tschloer
Interested
Interested

Postby LKP1231 on October 1st, 2014, 4:01 pm

It's so tough. I had some if that cracking too earlier on. I've been down this road, my 1st husband passed of this - no twitching noticed of any form in the beginning. I've raised my 2 boys now 19 and 16 and remarried 4 years ago. I can't imagine this happening in their lives again. Btw I sent you a message before. Very good luck tomorrow
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Symptom Management