2 fasciculations on foot emg...please help

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

2 fasciculations on foot emg...please help

Postby Blade1409 on September 30th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Hi all,

Went for an emg yesterday after perceiving my foot to be weak and twitching for a couple of weeks. 2 fasciculations turned up in my right foot.

If they were benign they wouldn't have shown up would they?!

Oh God, please help me.
Blade1409

Re: 2 fasciculations on foot emg...please help

Postby Yuliasir on September 30th, 2014, 1:02 pm

they ARE benign. not each and every issue on EMG is malignant, ominous or even just bad. we even can have denervation and renervation which is not related to MND (due to trauma or just age). We can have rythmic activity (fasculations) just becasue 70 % of healthy people have them.

malignant signs are very special, and fasculations are not in the list.
if your doctor is not concerned, why should you be mad about several innocent fascics?
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on September 30th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Read my post on your previous post. You are fine. Fasciculations are fine. They are nothing to worry about, in the absence of other things.

If you're feeling and seeing the twitches, it's no surprise at all that an EMG would actually record those twitches. That's why we're all here on this board!! The only reason I'm guessing that some others have EMGs without fasciculations is that they happened to not fasciculate while the EMG was being performed. I had lots and lots of them (on my legs). When I asked the doctor if he saw fasciculations, he looked at me like I was crazy. With a look that basically said "um, isn't that why you're here??".

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, is that there is even a study that shows that people who are completely normal (no BFS, that is), show fasciculations in their feet. I'd encourage you to google it, but you might run across other scarier studies that you shouldn't read and are not at all relevant to you. Googling is not our friend.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby J4son on September 30th, 2014, 3:28 pm

The study mwagner is taking about can be found in the link below. It was largely discussed on this forum. They took 25 healthy persons, not BFS patients just normal individuals, and found that 100% of them had twitching in their feet! some as many as 100 twitch per minute. So much more than your 2 fasciculation. Maybe you should be worry because you only had two :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18589&p=139280&hilit=Studies#p139280
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS