New Twitcher/Semi-Cramper

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New Twitcher/Semi-Cramper

Postby Jocruz on July 10th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Hey all,

I'm 24 years old, healthy, and male. My twitching started about 8 months ago, I contribute it to stress overload. I've always been an anxious person as it is, and my anxiety peaked about 6 months ago. I was worried about various things, but now I seem to be over them. I've always been active, playing sports, weight training, and other various types of exercises. At the peak of my anxiety, I started to notice that I had tremors (keep in mind, I've probably always had them... I can't sit still... EVER) in my hands. I felt like my hands were always shaking, then at night I felt my whole body shaking while trying to fall asleep. My mind went straight to worst case scenario... PARKINSONS... I was convinced that I had Parkinsons for about four months, until I found something else to worry about. Well, something else happened, I started twitching. Sometimes subtle, sometimes knockers, ALL OVER MY BODY. My twitches occur in my left calf, left and right quads, hamstrings, biceps, triceps, face (around my mouth), abdomen, butt, back. Pretty much everywhere. Here recently within the past couple of days I've started to get these mild cramp like feelings in my legs. Its like the start of a cramp that never fully turns into a cramp. They're not frequent, maybe 2-3 times per day. My twitches on the other hand are VERY frequent. They last all day long. I also dip snuff, and I've noticed that the nicotine makes it worse, and the same goes for alcohol. I also have still been lifting weights, and haven't lost any noticeable strength. I've actually added more weight to the bar than ever before just to "test" myself... my muscles are working fine. I also have noticed that I have cold clammy hands (which I believe are due to anxiety). My twitches have been causing me severe anxiety, which I don't need because I already suspect that I have GAD and that is what caused this in the first place. Also, I've been supplementing with Isolate Protein Whey, Creatine Monohydrate, D3, B12, C, and fish oil.

Anyways, my question is, Does this sound like a typical case of BFS or does this seem out of the ordinary?
Jocruz

Re: New Twitcher/Semi-Cramper

Postby Jocruz on July 10th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Any one?
Jocruz

Postby Yuliasir on July 10th, 2014, 10:11 pm

Nobody comes becasue you tell a typical story :)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Jocruz on July 10th, 2014, 10:45 pm

I guess thats a good thing?
Jocruz

Postby Yuliasir on July 10th, 2014, 11:17 pm

surely yes my friend
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Jocruz on July 14th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Yuliasir wrote:surely yes my friend

Thanks a lot the fear comes and goes. I just constantly feel shakey. I guess I do it to myself
Jocruz

Postby Yuliasir on July 14th, 2014, 11:19 pm

sometimes it happens my frined. to all of us.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on July 16th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Hi very typical! Esp the whole body twitching and feeling of almost about to cramp. Have you gone to any doctors about this? Maybe they can see if you are deficient in anything. I would recommend discussing with your doctor, getting like a blood profile, stop the stuff that aggravates it, and as much as you are active, try to find a balance where you come down, like a sauna visit, sunset walks, massages, whatever helps you relax.

But yea, you can take the words or phrases you wrote, plug them into a search and you will see that almost everyone on here has the same thing going, or once did, and then it came back. The BFS stuff varies in symptoms, is widespread, goes in cycles, etc. hope you can start to feel better soon!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Jocruz on July 17th, 2014, 8:51 am

Thanks for your reply. The number one concern for me is that my left hamstring is constantly twitching. It never stops. It is at its worse when I am sitting down. I'm starting to get extremely worried. Like I said before, I have no muscle weakness, but the localized twtiching in my left hamstring is really alarming for me. My left calf is a pretty good bit smaller than my right one as well. I haven't been to a doctor yet due to the fact that I don't have health insurance.
Jocruz

Postby Xina535 on July 17th, 2014, 10:42 am

I'm sorry to hear about the health insurance issue.
For your twitching, try doing different things and see if any of them help. If you find a method that does, stick to it, do it more! Different things may help different people. For me, heat was always good. It for some reason calmed my muscle down and although it did not stop twitching, it was less. Like a heating pad, or a hot bath. Stretching may help, after heating. Ever heard of progressive muscle relaxation? This has helped me for many things, it releases tension that is caught in your muslces. One thing that also helped me release anxiety was relaxation hypnosis. It's not for everyone, there are different therapists and they all have their different rates. Something insurance wouldn't cover anyway (I think). Massages. If something makes it worse (coffee, tabacco, alcohol, intense exercises), then try to cut those out.

We all have hot spots. You might want to search the site for 'video' - people have posted some of their twitches, that they've had for a really long time, so you can see you are not alone and their twitching did not progress into anything else.

Not sure if this helps at all, but hang in there!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Jocruz on August 10th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Hey guys,

Back again. I can't shake this anxiety. I try to get over it, but it just seems so far away. It seems unreachable. Over the past few weeks I have had some symptoms disappear but some new ones have started up. For example, my right thumb, on the meaty part that is located on the palm feels "off". It feels weak and twitches from time to time. Also my right index finger twitches while using a mouse. My left calf is also 1/4" smaller than my right and it is starting to feel weak 24/7. I'm 24 years old, about to buy a home, get married, and start a new chapter of my life. I feel like I should be worrying about other things but I can't because of this *** fear. I feel that my muscles fatigue very easily when doing simple things like eating, brushing my teeth, and other things of that nature but I go to the weight room an my lifts keep increasing? Maybe I'm just too in time with my body due to Excessive anxiety levels. One more thing to note is that I keep getting this wet sensation in my right elbow. I don't know how to explain it, it's just a wet/burning feeling. I've also noticed that when I'm focused on other things I tend to forget about my symptoms.

Thanks
Cruz
Jocruz

Postby Xina535 on August 13th, 2014, 5:14 am

Hi Cruz,

Let me try to bring reassurance here. What you wrote has been written several times on here. Anyone going through a really stressful time, on top of having the *** fear, have it really bad. They get fatigued, more twitches, in other places, etc. I also felt like such a wuss at the gym when it was hard for me to use the light machines with no weights, those that grandma's use, so I had this exercise intolerance going on. I had a heavy left leg for a long long time. Like I felt like I struggled to get it over the tub to take a shower. Also washing my hair, I couldn't keep my arms over my head to wash my hair. I was certain the worst was starting. All gone now. Dealing with other weird things now.

Buying a home and getting married are I think the two big things mentioned on here from fellow BFSers when they have their worst symptoms, from what I've read so far. Another is having a baby.

And YES you are right - you are paying too much attention. Anxiety makes you more alert right? Freight or flight. Anxiety/adrenaline revs your body up to either fight or run away, which means heightens your senses!

I think we are all on adrenaline overdoses. Wish there was something that could suck the adrenaline out.

So keep focusing on other things. Bring your heightened attention to those things. And all the best with the house and wedding :)

PS - thumb and finger twitches, esp when using mouse = totally normal BFS stuff AND I measured my body parts - they are not and will not ever be identical. My left was less there, and my right less there. It's really a waste of time to do that. Focus on measuring your Tux for the ceremony instead ;)
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby UTCougar on August 13th, 2014, 3:18 pm

Ahh yes the "almost cramps" and twitching maybe the two most common symptoms you see on here. Sounds like you are just fine. And trust me, anxiety can knock you down and make things appear much worse.
UTCougar

Postby Jocruz on September 4th, 2014, 9:29 am

My twitches have subsided to about 20% of what they used to be. I contribute this to quitting using nicotine products. I still have the twitches but they're not as bad, as far as the semi'cramps go... I never get them anymore. The only thing that is still really bothering me is tightness on the back of my right calf. It feels like its in a knot 24-7. I'm feeling a lot better. The key is to accept it as BFS and it gets better. I believe that BFS, along with all of the other anxiety symptoms come from prolonged stress/anxiety. I believe that our nervous systems are fatigued to the point of exhaustion. The only route to recovery is to break the cycle and rise above it. Quit worrying about the symptoms and they start to subside and you forget about them. This will all be ok for all of you.
Jocruz

Postby Jocruz on September 30th, 2014, 11:27 am

Hey guys, Back again. I thought I shook my als fears but i just can't get rid of them. My twitching still exists and I've also developed a few new symptoms. My voice still feels fine, but I have tingling sensations around my mouth 24/7. Also, my right arm has a vibration/tremor type of thing that starts in my shoulder and goes into my elbow. My left side is actually stronger than my right side now too... and I'm right handed. This could have always been the case but now I'm noticing because I'm paying attention. My muscles get fatigued very easily. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that this is all tied to anxiety but no matter how much reassurance I receive, I still find a way to convince myself that I have ALS. My twtiching is pretty much on my right side now. Maybe sleeping on my right arm contributes to this. ALS isn't all over the place like most of our symptoms are. I've read tons of stories and they usually start in one area, like the mouth... BUT EVERYTHING ELSE WILL BE FINE. Our symptoms vary too much to not be tied to anxiety. I still believe that we've fatigued our nervous systems and that is the main problem. I also think that we can speak truth into existance, thats why I say I am well.
Jocruz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group