Slurred Words - Question

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Slurred Words - Question

Postby Pascal35 on September 26th, 2014, 12:23 am

Hi Everyone,

I am now again in a sort of panic mode.
Last night i had some drinks. After the 3rd glass of wine i felt that i would slur a few words.
it was not that obvious for the others around to identify but i definitely realized and felt it.
I know that the obvious answer here is "OK 3 drinks that could make you slur a bit is quite normal" but the point is that i normally have a few drinks and i can't remember that this has ever happened to me before.
The only difference was that yesterday i had empty stomach and very tiring day.
Since i had some tongue twitches over the past i am really terrified about ALS and would like to hear your knowledge and experience about it.

Thanks
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Slurred Words - Question

Postby Yuliasir on September 26th, 2014, 12:49 am

Oh my, Pascal, it is EXPECTED to slur a bit after 3 glasses of vine... BFS makes you MORE sensitive to alcohol due to already hyperexcited CNS so it is really expected.
especially if nobody else had noticed that.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Pascal35 on September 26th, 2014, 1:10 am

Thanks Yuliasir,

If i try to think clearly i believe that the main reason was the fact that i had an empty stomach and a very tiring day.
After the 3rd drink i felt tired and weak. Also you must note that i am always focusing on my tongue, speech etc since my ALS fear started.
But then i ate some food and had one more drink but i felt much better and no slurring.
The reason of my panic is because i read in several "bulbar onset" stories that their symptoms got worse with a few glasses of alcohol...
Its crazy how my "symptoms" fly from one spot to another... I can realize that this is a good indication of anxiety but its really not easy to get over it. I have read so many things and stories about ALS and now i am terrified with everything that happens to my body.
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on September 26th, 2014, 3:45 am

That is pretty consistent with how alcohol acts - first you had strong "charge" with feeling faint and some slurred speech, and then you got a bit of food , and next alcohol dose went more slowly and also you had a bit of tolerance already.

that is really fantastic how our perception is biased under action of fear.

ALS people HAVE already speech slurring, and they also get drunk as other people. So no wonder they report increase of slurring after few glasses of alcohol.
you DO NOT HAVE slurring or bulbar onset, you just fear it may happen.

Probably your main wrong step was to read all those ALS stories. Now they just feed your fears, and due to the perception bias caused by anxiety you tend to explain even harmless symptomes as ominous ones. I know that quite well, I had that period too :((( but if you will continue to say "I have perception bias" every time you start to thikn you have a symptom of ALS, it may be easier to survive.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on September 26th, 2014, 5:38 pm

Depending on the day, diet, etc... alcohol can affect you different from one time to the next.

Right now - you had 3 glasses of wine -- you slurred -- but you didnt slur enough for people to notice. So maybe you didnt slur in the way you think you heard yourself.

Its possible.

When you slur without alcohol, that would be more signicant.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pascal35 on September 27th, 2014, 12:27 am

Yes. People haven't noticed it and i think i felt it while i was trying to spell a few specific words.
Since then i haven't slurred again but also didn't drink any alcohol...
I am paying too much attention to everything is happening to my body and i think this is a major reason for everything. At least i hope so...
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pascal35 on September 28th, 2014, 6:44 am

I like this site because you can exchange opinions with people facing similar issues.
There are things that sound so stupid to ask to people around you but here you can share experiences...
I read several posts from the past and I can see many people were dealing with such problems.
At the moment I'm checking again my tongue 24/7.
Checking pictures from the past and to be honest it looks different.
I'm not going to panic because I had a tongue emg just two months ago.
In addition I can make all the tongue strength exercises.
But it's funny to see how many people are picturing their tongues and video all the movements!
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby paulzeee on September 29th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Just want to share something here.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with ALS about a month ago he is hospitalized and doesn't have much time left. He never talked about weakness or twitching. But people noticed a problem with him even last year, I noticed it myself. What was noticed was a slowing of his speech, but his speech was very clear, everyone thought it was dementia or he had some sort of stroke. It's like he slowed down, there was no slurring, unless he drank of course, and he liked his rum, but there was no presentation of slurred speech. When we talked between mutual friends about his condition no one said "hey Brian is slurring". He is slurring now and the speed of his speech is a quarter of what it was but hes laying in a hospital bed with a very short time to live, he is unable to walk. If you have slurred speech after 3 glasses of wine and are fine the next day I would assume that there is absolutely nothing wrong with you other than a slight intoxication.
paulzeee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on October 2nd, 2014, 3:25 pm

Paulzee, I am very sorry to hear about your friend. I wish you all peace and strength.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics