Back From The Doctor...not sure about the answer I got

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Back From The Doctor...not sure about the answer I got

Postby enzoli99 on September 25th, 2014, 7:32 am

I went to see a GP Doctor yesterday. It was to see how my left knee is doing. I told him that I was very worried that I see fasciculation's on my left thigh when I tighten it up. I also told him that it is atrophied 2 cm.
Finally, I told him about my anxiety and fear that I have ***. He looked at me funny and said , " I don't think you have ***". He said that without even visiting me. I asked him if I could show him what I was talking about. I took off my pants and he saw right away that my left leg looks thinner and weaker. I showed him that when I flex my left leg it has a ripple effect. He told its normal that it fasciculates because its weaker. Then he told me he doesn't think its *** because that usually starts with the twitching in the face and tongue. And he let me go. Would you feel reassured?
enzoli99

Re: Back From The Doctor...not sure about the answer I got

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 25th, 2014, 8:56 am

If he's not a neurologist, I'd take what he said with a grain of salt. I am twitching in my face and tongue, so I guess I have ***. Great.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby enzoli99 on September 25th, 2014, 9:00 am

misterjuanperalta wrote:If he's not a neurologist, I'd take what he said with a grain of salt. I am twitching in my face and tongue, so I guess I have ***. Great.

Honestly, it didn't look like he cared much about what I was saying. It looked more like he was trying to get rid of me. I too, twitch in my face but I didn't tell him because he looked like he was annoyed by my anxiety. Please, don't think that you have ***. I guess I should see a neurologist. He didn't even mention the word "weakness" so I don't think he remembers much from med school. Sorry, it this increases your anxiety, I didn't mean to do that.
enzoli99

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 25th, 2014, 9:03 am

I am not upset at you. Don't worry. I hate this crap and wish I were never born to have this crap or fear. Take care.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby enzoli99 on September 25th, 2014, 9:05 am

I feel exactly the same way. Peace
enzoli99

Postby emmie.s on September 25th, 2014, 12:30 pm

Im sorry you have to deal with such an incompetent doctor. You should certainly go see a proper neurologist to get peace of mind more than anything.
Also, 2 cm is really nothing. My left thigh is smaller than my right by about an inch, its normal for us to be slightly asymmetrical.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby enzoli99 on September 25th, 2014, 2:18 pm

emmie.s wrote:Im sorry you have to deal with such an incompetent doctor. You should certainly go see a proper neurologist to get peace of mind more than anything.
Also, 2 cm is really nothing. My left thigh is smaller than my right by about an inch, its normal for us to be slightly asymmetrical.

Thank you Emmie. I am waiting for a neurologist appt. Unfortunately where i live ( Montreal) the wait is 4 months. In the meantime, Im finding a way to stay strong..Thanks again for the encouragement.
enzoli99

Postby terry in sf on September 25th, 2014, 3:38 pm

I"m not sure that a 2 cm size difference especially after 3 weeks of being laid up is enough to get upset about. If your right side is dominant, a 1 cm difference would be quite normal and expected. Add to that the period of inactivity and you could have lost another 1 cm. My husband broke his right ankle 22 years ago (he is right-dominant) and his right ankle to this day is still smaller than his left due to having been in a cast for a month.
terry in sf
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RIno468 on September 25th, 2014, 4:33 pm

First things first -- if you feel that you were rushed by your GP, then I would go to another GP to get a second opinion.

Doctors don't think ALS becuase ALS is already a rare disease, and if youre younger then it is even more rare.

With that said -- a couple of things come to mind in regards to ALS and im no expert but:

1) if the problem is your knee, then i wouldnt worry because you would feel it in your calves and toes first -- (mainly toes) I dont think ALS starts mid knee and works its way up.

2) 2cm is just you being too detailed with your leg -- did you use a tape measure? And if you did did you squeeze the smaller side just a little bit -- 2 measure it 2cm smaller ? subconsciously thats possible. My legs are not symmetrical -- my dominant leg is bigger and stronger than my left leg.

3) Are you not able to to the things you normally do ? Can you walk normal? have you tripped up and fallen on your face?

While probably not the best idea -- he probably just said it starts in the face and tongue because he assumed you werent having these symptoms, he is just trying to lead you away from ALS.

Do you feel week or are you weak? thats the big difference.

I read your other posts and you said you test yourself and walk on your heels and tip toes -- if there was an issue this would be a struggle for you.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby enzoli99 on September 26th, 2014, 7:14 am

Thanks...feeling a little better today. :-)
enzoli99

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group