Muscle Stiffness

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Muscle Stiffness

Postby Scboy on September 23rd, 2014, 10:58 am

Does anyone in here have their primary problem as muscle stiffness in the trunk area and neuropathic pain in the legs? I've been tested for everything with no answers. They offer benzo drugs and they do help short term but the withdrawals only make my symptoms worse. I am in pain to some degree all the time. I have a hard time believing this is a benign condition.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Muscle Stiffness

Postby RIno468 on September 23rd, 2014, 6:43 pm

No one answered -- so I thought I would chime in.

If you have been tested for "everything" I will assume you had a EMG -- which, if that was clear, gets you out of the ALS panic group, so that should be a big relief.

I do not have have muscle stiffness -- my symptoms are only intermittent twitching and feeling of weakness.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Scboy on September 23rd, 2014, 8:22 pm

Thanks for the reply RIno. The lack of replies leads me to believe this is something other than BFS or Cramp FS. I've posted something similar to this before and got few responses. I'm not worried about ALS anymore.
Just don't know what it is and the doctors don't know either. My stiffness responds well to benzo drugs but I don't want to take them. I'm am taking Tegrtol now, but don't know if it is really helping at all. I twitch all over my body everyday. This thing is painful at times. All started after I had a battery of vaccinations before my trip to China.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby terry in sf on September 24th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Scboy wrote:My stiffness responds well to benzo drugs but I don't want to take them. ... All started after I had a battery of vaccinations before my trip to China.

This is interesting to me. I wonder what about the vaccinations, or the particular combination of vaccinations, might have triggered it. Benzodiazepines are sometimes given for seizures so could explain why they work to stop other types of nerve hyperexcitability.
terry in sf
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on September 24th, 2014, 11:49 pm

Any vaccination is a boost made to immune system and it is clear that some of immune reactions even in a normal course of immune activity may be turned against the host body tissues itself. And autoimmune reactions definitely play some role in BFS development. Probably both local (at the level of muscle membranes) and central, as certain investigations revealed that people with otherwise non-explained musculosceletal pain syndromes may in fact have a mild inflammation of glia (grey matter of the brain) - which of course may also be rather autoimmune considering that viral, bacterial or fungal brain inflammation (meningitis) is relatively rare due to presence of barrier between blood and liquor and usually has more severe symptoms and deeper neurological consequences...
So probably in some people vaccination also causes quite milde autoimmune reaction demonstrated as increased hyperexcitability of nerve system resulting in twitches (and anxiety, if a brain is affected).

We have here reports of twitching (and often anxiety too) started after regular flu shot, hepatitis shot, tetanus shot and once even a rabies shot. Tetanus and rabies shots are specifically important as they contain toxines or even viral material with specific affiliation to neural tissue and a person having such shots (esp. anti-rabic vaccine) must follow quite strict lifestyle limitations for 3 to 6 month (no alcohol, no serious physical loads, no hot baths etc.) in order to spare nervous system form possible adverse effects and hyperactivity.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Scboy on September 25th, 2014, 7:31 pm

My neuromuscular Dr at Duke stopped short of saying the vaccines caused this, but he did say the timing was suspicious.

The stiff muscles in my midsection really bothers me at times. Feels like something grabbing me under my ribs and I feel really bloated after I eat sometimes. He is sticking to the cramp fasciculation syndrome diagnosis though. He also said that 9 months may seem like an eternity to me, but it is not a very long time for something like this.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS