Let's clear the air about spasticity

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Let's clear the air about spasticity

Postby jerbear_13 on June 17th, 2014, 3:36 am

I am getting so many mixed communications from the internet/everyone on what spasticity is and when you should worry. I had a clean EMG about 3 months ago but the last three weeks, my legs have been in a lot of pain. I get charley horses in both feet and legs. Some days/hours the pain is very minimal and sometimes it hurts. I am able to flex and I am able to relax the muscle but sometimes it is still painful in either position. Somebody please tell me this can be part of BFS or is it BCFS?!

I don't think that anyone wants to sort through the hundreds of posts about this. Let's get it squared away. Whether it's good or bad. Some people say you feel no pain with ALS and I read in otber areas that spasticity is part of that.

SO confused!
jerbear_13

Re: Let's clear the air about spasticity

Postby Yuliasir on June 17th, 2014, 5:43 am

as far as I understand (I am not a doctor but a medical translator only :), spastisity is part of ALS when upper (brain) motor neurons are damaged as it causes systemic damage to reflectory pathways causing high tonus of abductor muscles (which are usually equalised by tonus of flexing muscles). Therefore people in which upper motor neurons are damaged first, may have spasiticity. but spasticity is not only a pain but a constant high tonus of abductor muscles causing specific position of the limbs (for hands - fingers crooked, limb angled in the elbow, the arm is also in specific position at the almost right angle to forearm - like in people with child paralysis or after stroke when upper MN are damaged. Legs usually become angled in the knee and distorted aside. And it is practically impossible to change that position. And the pain is significant. And the muscles are rigid.

If you have cramps only, it is BCFS and usually it appears that the victim is extremely low on vitamine B and D. Leg cramps are extremely common by the way. After even mild cramp lasting a second you may have residual pain for about a day.

my suggestion is to check a) trombogram to be sure your blood is not visocus over normal values b) check vitamine level and ask for proper supplements dose.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby jerbear_13 on June 18th, 2014, 1:20 am

I will look into that for sure. Strangest thing, my legs don't hurt at all today. How bizzare. I am having my blood drawn again to look at Vitamin D, B-12, Metabolic Panel, CPK and Tyroid function again.

Thanks for all of your help, Yuliasir, you are the best!
jerbear_13

Postby LKP1231 on September 21st, 2014, 8:49 pm

I don't understand. My right calf muscles after driving for a while seem to tighten up. The muscle feels like a hard ball. It stays that way for a while. But I can walk and do anything else. Is this spasticity? Then that's another symptom I have :(
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on September 21st, 2014, 11:37 pm

if your flexor muscles are working, then it is not a spasticity in medical understanding but just a muscloe tension caused by improper ergonomics of your driver seat.
If you can flex your leg freely without any restriction and severe pain and move it delibrately to any position you want - it is not spasticity.

look at any picture of stroke people or people with child paralysisis and you will understand how spastic limbs are looking like. Read the book of Allan Marshall I can jump poodles to know what the hell of pain experience a child with spastic legs due to polyo becasue the doctors prescribed forced sraightening of his spasmed legs :(((

Your case seem to be just muscle tension, like many of us have in the neck or arms due to imporoper posture.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on September 22nd, 2014, 12:22 pm

I think you're right :)
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby kitras219 on September 29th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Can spasticity occurs in forearm?
When i move my fingers up and down in both hands then i can feel tightness in my left forearm.
I noticed this a few months ago, im freaking about spasticity :(
When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.
kitras219

Postby TwitchyDoc on September 30th, 2014, 1:39 am

Spasticity can occur in any muscle group when the upper motor neurons involved in its control are damaged, resulting in increased tone, perceived typically as stiffness or a feeling similar like that. But not all stifness and tigtness is spasticity - basically, your neurologist can easily check it with brief, strong stretches of the muscle. Normally, there is no resistance.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby kitras219 on September 30th, 2014, 3:54 am

Should i be worry about it?
I can easily relax my hand and fingers.
I dont feel this tightness all time.
My hand mobility is awesome.
I can open jars and all kind of bottles by left hand even
I am not hypermobile.
When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.
kitras219

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS