Is bfs a progressive condition?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Is bfs a progressive condition?

Postby Adamk on September 21st, 2014, 12:23 am

I have been dealing with bfs for about 17 months now and it has gotten a little better. But I recently read a survey by someone online and he said it is a progressive condition and will continue getting worse unless it was caused by stress. That made me freak out and I'm worried that I will get twitching worse and worse. I hope some of you can give me a reassuring note of your own experience so I don't spend the next few months worrying about this.
Adamk

Re: Is bfs a progressive condition?

Postby RGB on September 21st, 2014, 12:41 am

No.

I probably need to do more than that don't I? :) I'm sure others will be along shortly to add their personal experiences so I'll restrict myself to the infamous Mayo Clinic study...

Sixty of the patients [followed up] indicated that their symptoms including fasciculations had improved, 40 observed no change since the time of their diagnosis, and 5 felt that the fasciculations had become more prominent.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby MarioMangler on September 21st, 2014, 3:23 am

In my opinion it just comes and goes. Sometimes it is better, sometimes it is worse. I wouldn't call it progressive from my experience because mine can just completely go away for months at a time. But then other times it is worse than ever. So who knows. To me it doesn't seem to follow any sort of a progression.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint