Question about Feet Atrophy

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Question about Feet Atrophy

Postby RIno468 on September 20th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Hi all

My therapist for my Anxiety told me to take for now, 5 minutes of freak out time a day, where I can examine my body, read the boards, dr google. So yesterday I did that (more or less) and as I was walking noticed some difference in my feet.

So I have some foot atrophy questions:

1) Does weakness in the feet start before atrophy occurs? Or would atrophy be there first before weakness?
2) If I had true foot atrophy / weakness how would that affect me ? Would I not be able to walk on my toes, heels, walk at all without falling?
3) can there be visible muscular differences in each foot? I know there can be in the hand, because of hand dominance, but can there be in the feet? the legs I can understand, but the feet?

I have attached/linked some pictures of my feet, some things to keep in mind :

a) I am a small boned person naturally - i have 7inch wrists and 7inch ankles. So thin fingers and feet are natural for me (logically anyway, as of now I think I atrophy everywhere)
b) I am 38 years old so my skin isnt as tight as it once was.
c) On my left foot I have one small bunion on my big toe and a bigger bunionette on my pinky toe.

If you look at the first picture you will notice that the left foot, the knuckles are more prominent than the right foot. (mostly the middle toe, the one after, and the pinky) This is only looks this way when im laying my feet out and curling my toes, if I curl my toes on he floor there is no difference.

If you can't see the whole foot: http://tinypic.com/m/ibg9zs/3

The second picture could just be me or the angle I am looking at it -- there is a little indention more on the left foot by the ankle than my right foot.

If you can't see the whole picture:

http://tinypic.com/m/ibg9zs/3

Any input would be helpful. This is my 5 minutes for today so I may not answer (I should not answer or check) this until tomorrow.

Thank you much everyone!
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Question about Feet Atrophy

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 20th, 2014, 12:44 pm

They seem pretty normal to me. I gather anxiety may be changing your eating patterns a bit. Make sure diet has not changed. As far as the other questions, can you still do everything you usually have done? Remember, even before our symptoms there were times we could not do something. So keep this in mind b/c those situations don't count. As far as feeding anxiety for five minutes daily, some discourage feeding anxiety at all because the more you do it, the more it wants to be fed.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on September 20th, 2014, 11:48 pm

You have absolutely no sign of atrophy at the presented photos. Anxious people start to loose skin fat and that may make bones and vewins looking more prominent. Legs are the same as hands - we have dominant and non-dominant leg with the same difference in muscle bulk and strength. this is general body asymmetry.

Neurological problems in the foot usually are shown in the form of foot drop, more or less prominent. Foot drop is a result of paralysis of shin muslces and is manifested as inability to hold a foot parallel to the ground, stay on toes and heels, drawing a foot when walkiing, limping etc. It is quite clear condition and could not be missed neither by medical person nor by the patient itself.

Usually atrophy is a result of weakness and in most cases it is accompaned by significant loss of the limb affected.

so it seems not to be your case.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS