Jaw pain

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Jaw pain

Postby Peg on September 19th, 2014, 4:41 pm

This is my first post to this forum but I have been reading from the site and gaining lots of information and support. I began body wide muscle twitching about a month ago. I have had two clean emgs of my arms and legs. I have seen two neurologists who have said that I have normal neuro exams. On the last emg in addition to the arms and legs, they tested neck area (near my clavicle) and under my chin, for the tongue. I was feeling twitching and tightness in my face and was worried about my tongue although the neuro wasn't. I feel revived that these tests were all normal. However, in recently I have had ALOT of facial pain under my cheekbones and in the jaw joints on both sides, and my teeth feel achy like I am going to bite my tongue and tongue feels sore and tired. My question is this, If there was something going on with my TM nerve would it have shown up in the bulbar part of my recent emg test? I know I am being hyper vigilant but its just so concerning to feel this way.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Peg
Peg

Re: Jaw pain

Postby Yuliasir on September 19th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Hi Peg

most probably you have clenching your jaws due to stress and anxiety causing this jaw joints (TMJ) pain. It is really surprising how much we try to clench the jaws when we are feared. Sore tongue might be a result of B12 lack many of us experience.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Peg on September 20th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Thank you for your response. There is something possibly going on with my TM nerve because I am experiencing ear fullness and jaw/face tightening and pain. What I really need to know is if there was something ominous going on would the emg of my tongue and neck have pick that up? Anyone? Thank you! Your experience is so helpful.
Peg

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 20th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Make sure you can distinguish between what you fear and just tension from anxiety.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on September 20th, 2014, 11:35 pm

yes. Should you have any issues withthe glottal nerve, it would be picked up on tongue EMG. pain in the face means you havetrigeminal nerve inflammation or compression rather than any bulbar issues. Ask surgeon or dentist about that.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management