Still concerned about my left palm

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Still concerned about my left palm

Postby guitarguy11 on September 19th, 2014, 6:36 am

The palm of my left hand is where I feel vibrations (some I can see, some I cannot, most of the time they are localized in an area between the pad of my thumb and index finger, sometimes they fan out to the base of my other fingers). I also have larger twitches on my left hand at the base of my thumb and between my thumb and index finger, burning sensations, pain on the pinky side of my palm, a tightness type of pain in the center of my palm, pain at the index finger joint and pain in the pad of my thumb (palm side). The palm also feels very tight when I fan my fingers out compared to my right palm. The burning sensations and vibrations concentrate around a sunken area above the pad of my thumb. Neuro looked at this area a few weeks back and did not think anything of it. Clinical exam was fine. After at least two months of these feelings, I can still squeeze an exercise ball in my left hand just like my right hand. But, I am pretty sure the left palm is shrinking, I think due to loss of fat (my veins stick out more than they used to and I can feel the tendons more than my right palm), in the sunken area exactly where I have the symptoms and the hand tightness is getting worse. I am still somewhat worried (but better than I have been in the 2 months) that the tightness and slightly sunken area is evidence of atrophy. Where does atrophy typically show on the palm? Any encouraging (or not!) words of wisdom for me?

Thanks!
guitarguy11

Re: Still concerned about my left palm

Postby Yuliasir on September 19th, 2014, 6:53 am

Hi
typical hand atrophy develops as a flatness and decline in the mass formed on the top of your hand when you press your thumb to the rest of fingers. if you still have a buldge of muscles here, you do not have atrophy.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on September 19th, 2014, 11:13 am

Do the bulges have to be symmetrical?
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on September 19th, 2014, 11:26 am

not at all
as you know, we have dominant hand and lesser one
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on September 19th, 2014, 11:47 am

ahh !! i am freaking out.

Right hand dominant -- when i put my hands together -- theres a good bulge between the thumb and index and i touch it its solid.

Left hand -- when i put my hands together -- theres a bulge but way smaller.

Has it always been like that ? or are my hands atrophying!

And the twitches are back.

lol

im actually going to my psych appointment in a few minutes --- i need to get this under control
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on September 19th, 2014, 12:57 pm

NOPE YOUR HANDS ARE NOT ATROPHYING!
otherwise you will note that - people withthe atrophying hands can not button shirts, pick up small objects, then soon they can not hold a key, then could not lift a cup of water etc.

you have absolutely nornal conditions, bigger muscle on the dominant hand and smalller of the other hand. Sorry English is not my native language, so I said 'lesser' meanming the other, non-dominant hand.

did not want to scare you (but it is quite easy to scare the one who is ready to be scared).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby guitarguy11 on September 21st, 2014, 2:10 pm

I don't have much of a bulge on my left hand when I put my fingers together compared to my left hand I can see the veins on the top of my left hand much more than my right. I can't stop freaking out about it since it is where I see and feel the most twitches, at rest and when the muscles are in use. Does pain accompany atrophy? I have pain in the pad of my left thumb (palm side) and pain around the joint where my index finger meets my palm.

Thanks!
guitarguy11

Postby RIno468 on September 21st, 2014, 3:55 pm

Hey GuitarGuy --

I have not been diagnosed with BFS mainly because my GP (who knows my anxiety history) believes the twitches in my case will stop when I stop worrying that I have ALS.

With that being said --

I have pain in my left thumb muscle meat as well as twitching every so often. This usually happens for me when on days I bench press or shoulder press. My guess is the weight is just bearing down on that part of my hand and its presses a nerve or something....

Have you tried stop playing guitar for a few days and see how that helps?
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby emmie.s on September 21st, 2014, 4:54 pm

guys, no one is symmetrical. You're just over analyzing yourself and needlessly worrying. As Yulia said, if you had true atrophy, you would notice in your everyday actions, such as turning doorknobs and buttoning shirts. My left thenar (thumb) also was a twitching hotspot over a year ago (lasted for 3 months!), and is noticeably (at least in my mind) smaller than the right side. I noticed that last summer. This summer, I can do a neat party trick: slap my left thenar, and watch as it causes my thumb to flutter. So in other words I can invoke the twitches, which never phased my neurologists. :D
BFSers tend to have hyper excitable nerves, and we also tend to be too attuned to our bodies.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS