No reaction to babinski test

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

No reaction to babinski test

Postby LKP1231 on September 19th, 2014, 6:19 am

I went back to neuro bc I didn't remember them trying this. I had no reaction. She said they worry only if positive. Seems odd to me. Anyone else have this?
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Re: No reaction to babinski test

Postby Yuliasir on September 19th, 2014, 6:40 am

Babinsky reflex is a primitive reflex normally developed only in infants who have their brain not grown enough yet. So it is normal to adult healthy person not to demonstrate this. Normally developed brain cortex suppresses Babinsky reflexs, so if the adult person demonstrate it (DO NOT TRY TO EVALUATE THIS BY YOURSELF), it means problems with the motor cortex.
So it is not odd :) Glad you do not have it.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on September 19th, 2014, 9:22 am

I just meant that I had no reaction at all. I know the normal response is for all the toes to curl forward and if the the big toe goes up and others fan out that is a bad reaction. Mine did nothing. The neuro tells me it's fine.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on September 19th, 2014, 10:10 am

If the neuro told you that you are fine, it is better to believe I think
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on September 19th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Yulia is basically right in her explanation. As the brain matures, some reflexes (typical primitive reflexes are snout and suck reflexes) become inhibited and cannot be elicited. But in case of a damage to the frontal lobe, the inhibition ceases to exist and these reflexes reappear, providing a very important clinical clue.

I would address what you are asking now:

Babinsky reflex positive = toe goes up, with or without fanning of the fingers. The first observable movement is what matters (sometimes it can go up and then down).
Babinsky negative = toe goes down OR no response is elicited.

The only moment when no response is abnormal is when it is unilateral, i.e. on one foot it goes down but on the other it is silent. But this is just for your information, your doctor said it was OK so there is no need to question such a basic (but very important) test.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on September 19th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Thank you. Neither foot seemed to have a response.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS