Does this sound like BFS or something else

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Does this sound like BFS or something else

Postby RIno468 on September 15th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Hello all.

I get random twitches in my calves, my thighs (above my knee) behind my triceps, my biceps, and sometimes both sides of my upper jaw (by ear) and lately my left Palm (the thumb meat)...

I eat two bananas a day, I stay super hydrated.

I am very physically active (weight lifting, martial arts 3-5 days a week)

So I'm actually not sure if I had twitches before and never noticed them or I have just started twitching.

I can feel and see 90% of them. They last for about 2-3 seconds maybe (rarely longer but it has happened for a minute or so)

This has been going on for the last few weeks (I'm currently seeking therapy for high anxiety about my health) and these twitches I noticed after the ice bucket challenge.

No apparent weakness. But I'm just staring at my hands and feet looking for differences (super annoying habit that I can't seem to stop)

Are random intermittent twitches normal in bfs?

Days I workout I twitch -- the next day I twitch way more.

I went to my doctor who said without any clinical weakness she wouldn't give me a referral to a neuro.

Any advice / help you can provide will be great.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Does this sound like BFS or something else

Postby RGB on September 15th, 2014, 4:07 pm

RIno468 wrote:
I went to my doctor who said without any clinical weakness she wouldn't give me a referral to a neuro.

Any advice / help you can provide will be great.

My advice is that you have a good doctor and should listen to them :)

Everything about this (history of health anxiety, distribution of twitches, etc.) sounds very, very typical of BFS and people here. I could write more but it would be entirely redundant as it's that simple really.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RIno468 on September 15th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Thank you RGB.

I kind of thought that but you know how it is-- we just need to be reassured...

My Dr. is a good doctor for sure, but she didnt witness the twitching etc etc.. so you know, that doubt creeps in.

Thanks for your input!
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on September 15th, 2014, 11:42 pm

yes intermittent twitches here and there are typical for BFS. and your doctor is right. twitches are very common. unless they are not associated with clinical weakness (which could be primarily assessed by amng good GP), it does not mean MND.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on September 16th, 2014, 10:51 am

Here to reassure you too Rino... intermittent twitches are very common in BFS. Working out definitely exacerbates them too. I'm about a year into this and I even notice that just a long walk will stress out my calves and make them fire off more when I sit down. No weakness (I like the term inability), then you are in a benign category.
UFGatorGuy20

Postby RIno468 on September 17th, 2014, 10:29 am

Thanks to everyone who replied.

You saved the day -- at least for today :)
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby worrier98 on November 27th, 2014, 3:20 pm

I am the exact same as you!

I'm also seeing a therapist over health anxiety and I've been twitching for about 7 months now. I've been to see about 6 different doctors who are all telling me they can't refer me to a neuro with no other symptoms other that twitching... I feel your pain!
Just wanted you to know you're not the only one in this position, it's driving me crazy and making my health anxiety worse, plus I'm only 16!
worrier98

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS