Problem talking in cold

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Problem talking in cold

Postby jerry2 on January 26th, 2013, 4:07 pm

I know, wierd topic... I was skiing for 2 days and it was cold, around -8 degrees C and after a while I couldn't talk OK, I was like slurring, I could open my mouth wide but it is hard talking in cold. Was like slurring. My wife, child do not have this problem. And I never had this problem earlier in life. Is this age or like my muscles are weaker or something?

I have same problem if I go to cold and I come back home and I can not type to computer, my fingers are not responding well.

Now I have this talking in cold problem. Don't laugh, it never happened to me before. Now I am in warm back, I can talk normally I think, but in -8 I have problems. Can this be some mucle problems on my face or what?
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Re: Problem talking in cold

Postby chrissi on January 26th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Not only talking/ moving my tongue. Even changing mimics or moving my lips makes problems. It feels ascifvmy muscles get completely stiff at those temperatures. As well as using my hands. The stiffness in cold that occurs since I got BFS by FAR exceeds a normal level.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Arin on January 26th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Jerry. I get this alot. I first noticed it this winter while fishing on the river. If its in the 30's or so, i have to talk real slow or i slur. Upon warming I get a bit of sensory stuff I never got before. Sorry you get this aswell, but glad to see im not alone.
Arin

Postby Yuliasir on January 27th, 2013, 1:08 am

Hi Jerry,
weakness in a cold weather (and please consider that during skiing practical temperature was far below minus eight due to wind and humidity) is common in people like we (practically the most panick I had in BFS was last winter when I took a cold metal shovel by bare hand and could not hold a grip). I know (read in some med newspaper) that cold weakness is common for people with Ellers syndrome (hypermobility), but I also noted that after BFS start only (However being hypermobile for the whole life of course). In this or in that way, wheter due to hypermobility asosiated changes or due to cahnges coming with BFS, I also have that.

Suppose your wife and child were wearing more warm headwear, maybe warm hoods etc (which made some dramatic differernce)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby stephane28 on January 27th, 2013, 11:18 am

Yep I noticed that too. When the room is too cold I have difficulties typing on a keyboard. I didn't think it is BFS related but it seems that several people here experience this so rhi should be a consequence of PNH
I am so amazed by the number of symptoms we have
stephane28
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Floydian on January 28th, 2013, 3:14 am

stephane28 wrote:Yep I noticed that too. When the room is too cold I have difficulties typing on a keyboard. I didn't think it is BFS related but it seems that several people here experience this so rhi should be a consequence of PNH
I am so amazed by the number of symptoms we have

Yep, me too, difficulties when typing or writing when the room is cold. And during outside activities in cold weather it's not only the talking but I also get very stiff arms, hands and fingers.
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Foot drop?

Postby jerry2 on January 28th, 2013, 7:07 am

Thanx. I guess this is not uncommon then. I never had this before, I am 100%. My wife and son were not dressed up any warmer than me. When I come to "normal" temperatures I can talk again. It is not so much about weakness (I could open my mouth wide) but more than loss of fine movement control. Last time I went skiing was 6 years ago, last year my ankle was so bad I couldn't but my ankle seems a little better and I took a chance now. I had more problems with pain in hands than legs ;-&

So now I know whta is sluring words :-( I had more problems with some words and less with some others. Anyway... you know I have to ask it ;-) This kind of slurring in cold that comes back is not some kind of begining muscle atrophy slurring? My sanity tells me the neuro problem slurring won't go away depending on the temperature?

I have all kinds of wierd problems, yes. I also am noticing now in winter that I wear shoes with rubber soles, that in the shopping centers at most, where the floor is such the shoe is blocked by sliding the shoe, that I slide the shoe sometimes instead of stepping right (I hope sliding is the right word). As the rubber blocks me I stumble. Unfortunately this kind of reminds me what I read about foot drop :-( That I can not lift toes enough to make a step and slide. But then again, wouldn't this happen every time then? I have no problem walking on heels so I obviously can lift toes enouigh to make a step. And this doesn't happen on most of the steps, like 3 times in an hour in shopping centre (also elswhere but in the centre it is more noticing as the shoe is blocekd). I have same shoes as years before so I have to be walking differently. My wife notices nothing unordinary. She also tells it happens to her also, but like once in a month. This also hasn't happen to me before, I am positive...

Every month some other scary change I guess. Well, I hope that is not foot drop in classical weakness type of way, more like a "lazy leg".
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on January 28th, 2013, 7:22 am

The most disturbing is that there is information that weak muscles show weakness in COLD first, so slurring in cold weather could be a sign of muscle distrophy?!
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on January 28th, 2013, 8:21 am

Hi jerry,
foot drop is a foot drop. it is when someone can hold the foot parallel to the ground due to lack of muscle tension etc. Stumbling, on the other hand, is quite frequent if you have some excersise intolerance, tired or are superaware of your body functions. I was stumbling as and old hag when I was 28 yo and was invloled in plant startup...any stress can cause stumbling. And just imagine you stumbled once in a trade center - ups! adrenaline shot! boom! then you stumble three times in a hour.

I think should you had a foot drop, you must have that rather constant, non on-off.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby PetrifiedGuy33 on January 28th, 2013, 8:29 am

I was at a wedding in Riga, Latvia last week....the temperatures were the coldest i have experienced in my life, -15 and -20 and I noticed I found it more difficult to enunicate correctly in the cold and had some perceived difficulty pronouncing certain words, I was a bit worried at the time but as soon as I got inside to a warm house or restaurant my speaking was fine - the reason I was afraid was because I had some bulbar fears in the past but usually the symptoms that I freaked about disappeared - hoarse voice, went away, mucus in throat, went away, saliva issues went away, swallowing issues went away, slurring fears went away - these fears occassionally come back every now and then but then go away again, I also have to say I am getting more twitching in my face lately, especially above the lip but I twitch all around the body so I guess what I am saying is that I have never in my life heard of a first bulbar symptom as being difficulty to speak in extreme cold conditions and trust me I am constantly on the look-out for every perceivable symptom

actually I have read one account of a guy with mnd having problems in cold weather here http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthr ... y-symptoms

...but please note that he doesn't mention twitching once while describing his variety of symptoms

most of the stuff i read abour slurring and cold weather conditions just say it is an early sign of hypothermia
PetrifiedGuy33
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby jerry2 on January 28th, 2013, 9:44 am

Ok, thank you guys, I'll try not to panic about it. It was not -20 here as can be in Latvia, but around -8 or even lower, I don't know. I am glad I can ski at all, last year I thought I will never ski because of my ankle pain. I read reports about slurring and muscle weakness in cold being the first symptom of weakness. As I said I noticed when I am out in cold (0- minus 5 C) and go immediately on computer I have hard time typing, because I have so stff/weak fingers. But then again tiredness can also be a sign of muscle weakness and I am tired every day no matter how long I sleep or not. But I skied 4 hours and my wife was already tired, I could go on... (we are no regular skiers).

I had never any bulbar fears in my life up to now :-( I cough for 1.5 months now after some cold and can not get rid of it, my lower neck hurts but it is not thyroid (got it checked, they don't know why it hurts on cough/palpilation/swallowing). I still don't have neck cancer fear for that matter ;-)

This is my first bulbar fear. But I really couldn't speak well, I was struggling with some words. But yes, it was only at skiing and only then 2 days ago, now it is ok. I hope it is not some early symptom of anything.

Yes Yuliasir, stumbling is the right word. If I had slippers or would be summer I would not notice it, but in winter you almost fall if you do not life your leg every time. But I was not stumbling one and then I was noticing it. First I remember it happened 5-6 times after I got focused on it, it was not like I stumbled and whole world collapsed for me. I got progressively worried.

It can be that both things happened before but I don't remember but I am more than 99% that this is new :-(
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on January 28th, 2013, 9:59 am

It might be a skiing post effect by the way - if it had happened after your skiing after long period of being off.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on January 28th, 2013, 10:34 am

I skied this weekend and I also skied last week one day. Last week I didn't have this "effect". But it was around 0 not -8 C. But now my lips are all cracked I guess it has been quite cold in saturday.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby Syz on January 28th, 2013, 7:53 pm

I get weird twitching in my neck when it's cold and I try to talk. I also get stiff cheeks and jaw. I try to keep myself very warm b/c the neck twitches result in pain afterward.
Syz
Interested
Interested

Postby MMM on September 16th, 2014, 4:29 pm

I am just reading this and have the same issue.

Actually for a long time, when I chew ice, my tongue gets "frozen" and makes it hard to speak. My husband has never had that problem, so it freaked me out but makes sense. Have you noticed the same thing?
MMM
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Questions About BFS