Howdy folks

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Howdy folks

Postby dont on September 15th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Hi I am Karen and I was a regular poster 10 years ago. I have to tell you guys if you have had a eval by a neuro, please move on with life!!!

Some of you may not believe this but I was on this site probably 24/7 10 years ago. Gary can attest to that fact, I think. And guess what!? I totally forgot about this site. :D hi Gary! Good to see you are still on here providing support!

The ALS bucket challenge took me back to those days and my husband has a friend that has recently been diagnosed with ALS. I remembered this site this morning while walking 5 miles, yes walking 5 miles after spending 2 years in the grips of the fear of ALS! I was 1 year and almost 9 months into my fear when I had my first EMG. Was told it was normal and had a second one by another neuro about 2 months after that and after the second one I finally began to move on.

I have raging health anxiety that comes and goes. Usually when I am well, I am great and when something starts up with me, there is no middle ground. I am either fine or dying. Lol. I am fine now. My most recent breakdown was 2008-2010 and it was sparked by work stress x 10000000! My big fear during that time was cardiac stuff and due to an abnormal echo I did have to have a heart cath but all was fine. During this time I twitched like a crazy person but this time the fear of ALS never crossed my mind! Not once. I just ignored it. For me a racing heart for days, weeks, etc... Is what seems to set off all of my other body symptoms including twitching. This time I was lucky enough to be put in touch with a great cardiologist who suggested I start taking a low dose beta blocker. It has done WONDERS for my anxiety! I never was depressed, just super high strung. I am doing so well these days!!!

I feel for each and every one of you that is in the grips of the fear. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and may even try to pop in to provide some support. Please try to work with a good therapist to help you learn how to move on and live your lives the way you all deserve! I can never get back that two years I was a shell of myself. Hang in there guys! I thought my days were numbered and here I am 10 years later! BELIEVE YOUR DOCTORS!!!!!!!
Karen
dont
Hero
Hero

Re: Howdy folks

Postby raindog on September 15th, 2014, 3:15 pm

dont wrote:Hi I am Karen and I was a regular poster 10 years ago. I have to tell you guys if you have had a eval by a neuro, please move on with life!!!

Some of you may not believe this but I was on this site probably 24/7 10 years ago. Gary can attest to that fact, I think. And guess what!? I totally forgot about this site. :D hi Gary! Good to see you are still on here providing support!

The ALS bucket challenge took me back to those days and my husband has a friend that has recently been diagnosed with ALS. I remembered this site this morning while walking 5 miles, yes walking 5 miles after spending 2 years in the grips of the fear of ALS! I was 1 year and almost 9 months into my fear when I had my first EMG. Was told it was normal and had a second one by another neuro about 2 months after that and after the second one I finally began to move on.

I have raging health anxiety that comes and goes. Usually when I am well, I am great and when something starts up with me, there is no middle ground. I am either fine or dying. Lol. I am fine now. My most recent breakdown was 2008-2010 and it was sparked by work stress x 10000000! My big fear during that time was cardiac stuff and due to an abnormal echo I did have to have a heart cath but all was fine. During this time I twitched like a crazy person but this time the fear of ALS never crossed my mind! Not once. I just ignored it. For me a racing heart for days, weeks, etc... Is what seems to set off all of my other body symptoms including twitching. This time I was lucky enough to be put in touch with a great cardiologist who suggested I start taking a low dose beta blocker. It has done WONDERS for my anxiety! I never was depressed, just super high strung. I am doing so well these days!!!

I feel for each and every one of you that is in the grips of the fear. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and may even try to pop in to provide some support. Please try to work with a good therapist to help you learn how to move on and live your lives the way you all deserve! I can never get back that two years I was a shell of myself. Hang in there guys! I thought my days were numbered and here I am 10 years later! BELIEVE YOUR DOCTORS!!!!!!!

Excellent post Karen , good to hear you are doing well.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby terry in sf on September 15th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Hi Karen! Seems that social media awareness campaign has brought a number of us old-timers back! Glad to hear you are doing well.
terry in sf
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics