My Ice Bucket Challenge Response

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

My Ice Bucket Challenge Response

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 23rd, 2014, 10:46 am

Straight from my FB newsfeed, I thought I would share my response here as well.

Facebook is full of ALS ice bucket challenges lately. The ALS aspect hits close to home for me because in the year 2010 I thought I had it. I developed all kinds of crazy neurological symptoms and they were getting worse every day. Parkinson's Disease and MS were candidates too. I ended up being diagnosed with something less severe called Benign Fasculation Syndrome (BFS), for which there is no known cure. Thankfully it was not a death sentence, but it was incredibly intrusive and for a time negatively impacted my life in just about every way.

BFS ended up being a blessing in disguise though. It caused me to look at life from a new perspective. It caused me to question who I was and how I wanted to be. It also caused me to re-evaluate my priorities in life. What really is important? In my journey of self discovery and transformation I began to open my mind to new possibilities and ventured into unfamiliar territory. I also explored holistic medicine where the body is not just viewed as a biological machine, but rather a mind, body, spirit complex.

This was foreign to me and I will admit I questioned if I was just setting myself up for disappointment for even considering it. Thankfully I went through with it though because it was an important step in my transformation and recovery. When I began to experience positive results, my attitude improved, and my downward spiral began to reverse itself into an upward spiral. I had been very negative for a time leading up to my development of the condition. Was it all just a coincidence or was this condition really a manifestation and reflection of my state of being? I have come to appreciate the quote from Socrates who said that "There is no disease of the body apart from the mind." This perspective was very much a part of my experience.

Today, I no longer have BFS even though conventional medicine says you just have to live with it once you develop it. I believe that other diseases such as ALS are equally so a reflection of our state of being. Interestingly I found an article (linked below) by a doctor who was diagnosed with ALS, became wheelchair bound, and somehow was able to turn it all around in a very similar experience to mine. I just wasn't as severe, emotionally or physically, but the negativity was there in my perspective and attitude.

I am posting all of this because I will not be dumping an ice bucket on my head (sorry cousin R). I am also not aware of any ALS oriented charities that reflect the method of treatment that I see as necessary to truly beat and overcome the disease. So what do I do? I suppose all I can do is share my experience, reference an ALS case that mirrors my experience, and post it to the world to raise awareness. I don't believe the cure for any disease resides on the other end of a microscope. I believe the cure for these diseases mainly resides on the other side of the mirror. Please take the time to read this story if you want to learn more. The seven steps she references are sage advice for anyone, temporarily diseased or healthy. Thanks all.

Here is the referenced article about a woman who turned her ALS around: http://ahha.org/articles.asp?Id=55
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Re: My Ice Bucket Challenge Response

Postby Nytviolet on August 24th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Fabulous article, and reflective of my own experience when I first suspected MND many years ago. The mind is a terribly powerful tool, and we can makes our lives a heaven or he'll on earth by thinking it so. I hope that many others will read this as well. Be Blessed!
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby elliottok on August 25th, 2014, 9:59 pm

If you think all disease is psychosomatic, I know a guy named L. Ron Hubbard who'd love to sell you some very expensive books.
elliottok

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 26th, 2014, 4:09 pm

elliottok wrote:If you think all disease is psychosomatic, I know a guy named L. Ron Hubbard who'd love to sell you some very expensive books.

I quoted Socrates, not L. Ron Hubbard. It happens to reflect of my own personal experience and also appears to reflect of the woman in the article I linked to. Mysterious recoveries and healings take place all the time and are often belittled as being the placebo effect as though they do not count. I believe they do count and that things work that way for a reason. To each their own though.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Rothhaar on September 10th, 2014, 3:57 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:It happens to reflect of my own personal experience and also appears to reflect of the woman in the article I linked to. Mysterious recoveries and healings take place all the time and are often belittled as being the placebo effect as though they do not count. I believe they do count and that things work that way for a reason. To each their own though.

Well, actually this italian woman was not diagnosed with ALS, but with PLS.
The confusion came about because italian medical professionals consider PLS a subgroup of ALS. Therefore italian media reported that she had been diagnosed with ALS and english media simply translated that.
Now, while there haven't been any cases of spontaneous remission in "real" ALS so far, there have been some documented cases of spontaneous remission in PLS.
So it was not a unique miracle, but something that had already happened several times before, though unfortunately never for ALS. I was also in a way sorry when I learnt that (from an article in italian written by the very MND expert who treated her and who had diagnosed her with PLS). But I agree that even with PLS this case probably shows the power of the human mind.
Rothhaar

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 14th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Thanks for the clarification, i was not aware. Regardless of the label of the diagnosis, I do believe that it demonstrates the power of the human mind (like you said). The opposite has been documented to happen as well where completely healthy people are given a diagnosis by accident and they begin to exhibit the symptoms of that condition. In Michael Talbot's book 'The Holographic Universe' he gives examples of how even our modern medicine has different affects on people based on their belief systems. One of the examples he gives is on the American held belief that Aspirin is good at reducing the risk of heart attacks because of its blood thinning properties. Somewhere in Europe (I forget where) Aspirin does not have that same effect despite the formula being identical. Our beliefs shape much more of our reality than most are aware, individually and collectively. I highly recommend that book for anyone interested.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)