Ankle Pain - Strange

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Ankle Pain - Strange

Postby Pascal35 on September 12th, 2014, 7:53 am

Hi everyone,

Over the past few weeks I'm experiencing a strange feeling-pain in my right ankle.
It's not constant and I feel it mainly while walking.
I haven't injured myself as far as I remember and I'm starting worrying about leg ALS onset...
I can't say its weak - but for sure it's getting sore and painful during the day. I also don't twitch on the right leg so much.

Has anyone felt something similar?
Any advice?
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Ankle Pain - Strange

Postby Yuliasir on September 12th, 2014, 8:28 am

Nope it is just pain which happens to us. Me too. Right now those days I got it afgain - intermittent pain in the ankle during the day. I quit high heels twoyears ago becasue of bouts of this pain.
It just happens - comes and goes.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Pascal35 on September 13th, 2014, 12:44 am

Thanks Yuliasir - Your input is always very helpful
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Christina91013 on September 13th, 2014, 11:16 pm

Pascal,

I don't know if the ankle pain that you are experiencing is in any way related to BFS but I can tell you that I have had something similar going on. Several months before my twitching and cramping started, I began to have a dull pain in my left ankle. Like you, the pain was not constant and I could feel it mostly when walking. It felt like a bruise and I thought it was a shin splint. The only reason why I thought it wasn't is because the pain was on the outside of my ankle only and not on the front portion of my leg. The pain comes and goes over long periods of time. Most of my twitching/ cramping comes from the other side, my right side, of my body. I don't know if the two are connected, but I've always felt that I've been very in tune to what's going on with my body and I can't help but think the two are related.

Over eleven months in and dumbfounded and bewildered as ever,
Christina
Christina91013

Postby Pascal35 on September 14th, 2014, 3:22 am

Thanks Christina for your response...

Its quite strange. I am very concerned because i am afraid that maybe "foot drop" and weakness is starting this way.
I make strength exercises and balance exercises and all look normal so far even though i can't explain the reason of this pain and strange feeling.
Lets hope that this symptom will also disappear like all the rest (except twitching) over the last 10 months!

Regards

Pascal
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on September 14th, 2014, 3:34 am

foot drop is a painless thing and starts with the fact that you can not lift your foot and keep it parallel to the ground due to paralysis of shin muscles (nothing to do withthe ankle). People with the foot drop have immediate and visible change in the gait no one can miss.

believ eme I have those pains and they do not morph inot foot drop.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Pascal35 on September 14th, 2014, 3:56 am

Yuliasir wrote:foot drop is a painless thing and starts with the fact that you can not lift your foot and keep it parallel to the ground due to paralysis of shin muscles (nothing to do withthe ankle). People with the foot drop have immediate and visible change in the gait no one can miss.

believ eme I have those pains and they do not morph inot foot drop.

Thanks Yuliasir - I bought a "balance step" and i am exercising over the last few days to check the strength. It seems like a joke that every month i have to deal with different issues after the twitches started. Here is a few that i remember:

- End of October twitching started right bicep - EMG (all fine) - I was concerned that EMG was done too soon... By the way never twitched again in right bicep
- December i felt right hand weakness - New EMGs and doctor visits - Nothing was found - No right hand weakness again after that...
- February i realized i had tongue twitches - Tongue and Bulbar EMG clean - after that tongue twitching stopped for a while...
- May, after a few months of calming down my symptoms (i guess due to benzos) twitching started again - New doctors appointments - New EMGs which results by the way were better than ever...totally perfect - And then...
- July my tongue twitched in a different spot... panic again for 2 months - new Tongue EMGs but also EMG in other body muscles - All clear but i was always a bit concerned...
- September my tongue stopped this twitching, i get random twitches left and right but as said the last few weeks i have this foot/ankle strange pain/feeling...Went to neuros and again all seemed fine...thinking of having new EMG

As you can see there is no way that doctors take me seriously again... Reading what i just wrote to you should have made me realize that my mind is playing games with me and i should relax and let it go... BUT i am sure you understand that this is not an easy task.

Thanks again for the chat
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on September 14th, 2014, 4:15 am

Well, Pascal, I probably would not say something new but if you will continue to make EMG after any new twitch, this will probably end up in a bad way. I mean you can see already that EMG does not relieve you from anxiety. It may relieve you from twitches for some time but believe me it is not the best way. You have overall nervous system hyperexcitability. EMG can not stop this.

Getting over anxiety needs a lot of time and efforts. You may act on your onw using (very consistently) special distracting techniques, but it is possible only on the very initial stages when you do not have essential 'will paralysis' typical for anxiety and obsession. When it comes to high level of anxiety, usually professional help and medication are our ways to do it.

Actually decreasing anxiety somehow helps with this overall hyperexcitability so it often helps to decrease twitches to average healthy person level (EVERYBODY twitch from time to time, it is like sneezeng, no one can avoid that).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Pascal35 on September 23rd, 2014, 2:24 am

Hi everyone,

I wanted to updated about this situation.
My ankle and foot didn't feel right.
I can't say it was purely pain but a strange feeling which worried me a lot. My arch is twitching continuously.
So i went to a neuro to have a private EMG and i asked him to check only the two leg muscles (tibialis anterior and calf) since i had other recent EMGs in different muscles.
Both muscles were healthy so it seems that i shouldn't have worried.
I also had an ultrasound in the ankle which showed slight tendonitis and slight problem on the Achilles tendon.
Even though i still twitch in the arch and i still have that strange feeling on my right leg i believe those findings can explain everything.
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics