Interpreting EMG results....

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Interpreting EMG results....

Postby Dual_CoRed on September 8th, 2014, 8:47 am

Sorry for the lengthy post. Posted a few months ago reference my muscle twitching concerns. I have a bad neck with herniation's at C4, C5 and C6. In 07, my right bicep and forearm muscle lost a considerable amount of strength, that's when I found out about my C6 injury via MRI. After 3 months, the strength came back. On Jan 30 this year, I aggravated it again and lost strength in the same muscles. Body wide twitching followed shortly thereafter and continues since. My muscle strength has come back almost to 100% and no other muscle/strength problems. I had an EMG 9 weeks into the twitching. When it was done, the doc said "no ALS", and said it was my neck. I walked out very relieved, and didn't even ask to see the EMG report. As the twitching continued, I asked to see a copy of the report. Can anyone with experience take a look and tell me if they think I should get another one?

NEEDLE EMG: Needle electromyography in selected muscle of right arm, right and left leg as well as lumbosacral, right thoracic and cervical paraspinal regions reveals spontaneous activity in the form of mild-to-moderate increased fibrillation potentials and positive sharp waves in the right deltoid and infraspinatus muscles. Voluntary motor unit action potentials are mild to moderately increased in duration with associated polyphasia and mildly reduced recruitment on maximum effort in the right infraspinatus muscle.

IMPRESSION: This electrical study reveals findings consistent with mild-to-moderate, active right C5-6 cervical radiculopathy with associated mild to moderate chronic reinnervative changes. There is no electrophysiologic evidence for myopathy, sensorimotor polyneuropathy or motor neuron disease.

Sorry again for the lengthy post. The continued twitching still has me concerned and I'm going to get a second opinion next week. I thought it was "clean", but upon reading it the words fibrillations and positive sharp waves have me concerned. Thx to anyone who replies. Btw my clinical exam went fine.
Dual_CoRed

Re: Interpreting EMG results....

Postby Yuliasir on September 8th, 2014, 9:01 am

on my point of view you do not need another EMG.
your report is 100 % consistent with what you say about bad neck.
your twitching is a result of chronic neural trauma.
look, your report says clearly: There is no electrophysiologic evidence for myopathy, sensorimotor polyneuropathy or motor neuron disease.

what do you want from another EMG? Amy other reason for twitching? Probably you would not get that as you have one already, clearly seen on EMG abnd reported.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Dual_CoRed on September 8th, 2014, 9:59 am

Thx Yuliasir. I didn't even ask to see the results when the EMG doc told me no MND. I just recently read the results and the positive sharp waves and fibrillations just shook me a little. Thx for the response.
Dual_CoRed

Postby Yuliasir on September 8th, 2014, 10:24 am

Well, people with MND have them too but this must be becasue of reinnervation processes they also have due to natural trend of our body to restore everything damaged. I guess this is the reason.
But MND have also many other specific features and yours seemed to fit your benign condition (neck buldging and some spinal trauma). Finally it is important what is said in the conclusion - and conclusion part positively says - not myopathy, not MND, etc. :)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS