First day no Benzos after 4 months

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

First day no Benzos after 4 months

Postby Pascal35 on September 5th, 2014, 11:00 am

Hi All,

I found a little bit my peace taking benzos for 4 months. Actually i was taking 0.5mg Xanax in the morning and sometimes 0.5mg in the night.
Before EMGs and neuro medical tests it helped me calm down. It also helped me to think "common sense" and calm down my ALS fears. Anyhow i decided today to stop and clean my body from all those chemicals.
I feel some kind of left arm weakness but i felt it before and then went away. I also felt it on my right arm and went away again... so this shouldn't be some serious issue.
Twitches have been less than previously so i will try hard to find back my normal life.
I am writing this message mainly for myself to read and try to move on with my life normally again.
I believe i'm be ready to fight the withdrawal symptoms and i hope those symptoms won't be too tough as the dose of Xanax i was taking was not really high...
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: First day no Benzos after 4 months

Postby German2 on September 6th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Dear Pascal,

I don't want to mix into your life, but benzos have to be reduced step by step. It can even be dangerous to stop immediately depending on the dose. I have once taken Xanax for 3 month (including reduction time...). Ok your dose 0,5 per day was not so high, but it would be much better firstly to go with a lower dose and than off...I am not a doctor, but this is even mentioned in the manual...Be careful with drastic steps...
German2
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on September 6th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Pascal, I would rather join German in warning you from abrupt going off from even a low dose benzos. If you wuld not find proper info in the instruction outlet, try to contact a doctor, becasue usually benzos are for 1-2 weeks intake, not for 4 months, and withdrawal effect may be damaging.

regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Pascal35 on September 6th, 2014, 2:35 pm

Thank you both for your interest and the advices.
Surely i got some doctors advice before i stopped.
0.5mg a day is a small dose - now its more than 60 hours since i got the last pill and i am feeling fine. I am not sure how long the withdrawal effect would be imminent.
Do you know?
Of course checking for twitches and/or strength is always on my daily schedule!!! regardless the benzos...!
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RGB on September 6th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Pascal35 wrote:0.5mg a day is a small dose - now its more than 60 hours since i got the last pill and i am feeling fine. I am not sure how long the withdrawal effect would be imminent.
Do you know?

It's got a fairly short half-life so I think (not med qualified, but when does that stop anyone?! :) ) 5-7 days and you should be through any withdrawal symptoms.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pascal35 on September 6th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Thanks RGB --- I don't feel any withdrawal effects yet... maybe 0.5mg was nothing for the crazy mind i got over the last months! lol
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management