Today's Neurologist Visit Update, Question.

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Today's Neurologist Visit Update, Question.

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 2nd, 2014, 2:18 pm

Hi,

My neurologist told me today that EMG & Nerve Study of feet/legs revealed neuropathy. No fasciculations appeared in the test after several areas were tested. He said the twitching could in fact be cramps, except that I don't feel pain. Can cramps appear as twitching and be painless?

Please advise. Thanks.

Update: No neuropathy.
Last edited by misterjuanperalta on April 20th, 2015, 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Re: Today's Neurologist Visit Update, Question.

Postby bobajojo on September 2nd, 2014, 2:22 pm

When I had my emg, they picked up fasciculations in just about every muscle tested. This is what they look like in my calves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNgPXWJ4i9w
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 2nd, 2014, 2:55 pm

Wow! Can cramps and twitches be considered the same?
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby physerv24 on September 2nd, 2014, 4:47 pm

Like Matt, my EMG also picked up fascics in every muscle tested. I also have intermittent cramps, especially in a muscle group that is very actively twitching (by active I mean every second). Not sure about you not being able to feel the cramps though. I feel mine. They are nowhere near the same as my twitching and will usually subside just by me moving the affected muscle for a few seconds. For instance, if I feel a cramp in my shoulder, I just rotate my arm a few times and it goes away. If I get a cramp in my leg, I do a couple of squats and it goes away. Nothing extreme.
physerv24

Postby Yuliasir on September 3rd, 2014, 1:59 am

Ias far as I understand, the only difference between the two is a duration and, let's say. extent of muscle bunches involved.
cramps include more muscle tissue and last longer than twitches, and they are related to some ischemia (not sure if they cause it or are result of it, but for example cramps in the cold water definitely are caused by acute vessel spasms and therefore muscle ishemia), as far as I understand, that is why they are painful and muscle stays sore for a while or even for a day or two, depending on severity of the issue.

leg neuropathy is so common after 25 becasue of long axons to be easily damaged...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management