A lot of doubts and fears of ALS

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: A lot of doubts and fears of ALS

Postby Felipe on August 20th, 2014, 12:26 am

mwagner,

I am REALLY GRATEFUL for your time and help. My axiety is getting bigger.I phoned to the clinic and his secretary told me that the neuro is away on vaccation but he is coming back next Monday and he will see me next Tuesday. That's something! Thank you very much again
Felipe
Interested
Interested

Postby Felipe on August 20th, 2014, 12:40 am

Has anybody had a EMG with similar results? I mean, with denervation in only one muscle. I would be very grateful if they post. Thank you very much
Felipe
Interested
Interested

Postby mwagner on August 20th, 2014, 9:19 am

I think this is related to your radiculopathy if you look at the article. Radiculopathy appears to be able to cause those EMG results in one muscle.

While I know you're really afraid, many people on this board have had EMGs that were not completely clean and they're fine.

The great news is you get to see your neuro earlier and hang in there!!
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on August 20th, 2014, 9:26 am

One more thing, I did a quick search on the board and saw this:

My first EMG was clean on my legs but my right arm had fibrillation potentials/acute denervation of APB muscle which is usually carpal tunnel--but the hand doc is perplexed because I don't have classic symptoms, so that has caused me to not have complete reassurance. If I had been 100% clean I think I would be in better mental shape.

So, others have gone through this, it appears. Again, your neuro will know best, but know that there are OTHER reasons that can cause the results in your EMG.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Felipe on August 20th, 2014, 6:28 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!!!
Felipe
Interested
Interested

Postby Pascal35 on August 24th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Felipe,

I wish best luck to you...
During my first EMG 9 months ago i also had fibs in the left arm (bicep and deltoid) but i already had an MRI that showed C5-C6 radiculopathy.
At any case because of my panic i made several EMGs over this period (around 20!!!) so they never found again any fibs anywhere.
If your doctor found fibs in one muscle in your arm then he should have checked other muscles with the same nerve route to find the cause.
I believe that since you have chronic denervation in C5-C6-C7 the reason of the new fibs have to do with orthopedic issues in your spine. Have you had any MRI?
Wish you good luck and waiting to hear back from you with good results!
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Felipe on August 27th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Pascal, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your post. I'm very grateful
Felipe
Interested
Interested

Postby Felipe on August 27th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Good news!!!

Yesterday I saw my neuro and he told that the differences between my two EMGs were not significant and he attached no importance to it. He said that in this kind of test there can be slight differences depending on the doctor who make it, the muscles which are checked and other reasons. He did an extensive physical exam and he told me that, at this time I had no ALS symtomps and that my fasciculations could have different causes. Anyway, he also told me that, in order to be 100% sure and seeing my level of anxiety, he will get me an appointment with the MND team of the university hospital. He also prescribed some medicine for my anxiety
Felipe
Interested
Interested

Postby Pascal35 on August 27th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Great news... Take the pills. Benzos will make you feel more relaxed. I am also taking for a few months.
I don't take anti depressants - i really feel that my issue is not this even though many suggest that this is a part of OCD or Hypochondriac etc..
Anyway, i still suggest you get an MRI of your spine before you go to the MND team.
I am sure you will get good answers. Keep us posted. Regards
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Felipe on August 27th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Thank you very much Pascal.

I had a MRI seven months ago (when everything started). The results were: Cervical discartosis from C4 to C7,focal spinal stenosis and hernial extrusion D11-D12 and L4-L5

Regards
Felipe
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Experiences with BFS